Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what torque wrench? The tiny ratchet and 13mm that’s in your bronco kit it more than enough.
What torque wrench are you refering too? Theres only a need for 2 socket bolts to be removed from hinge, very easy.
There is a recommended torque spec for the door bolts: 22 lb-ft (30 Nm). That torque can be easily achieved by hand with the ratchet and socket in the tool kit, but it will likely be undertorqued by most if done by “feel” (i.e., the spec is higher than you might expect by feel alone) or overtorqued by some who crank down hard on everything.

Ford Bronco Frustrating Door Removal Process 59160D34-47C4-4743-8B8F-CB0D40310D54
Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is a recommended torque spec for the door bolts: 22 lb-ft (30 Nm). That torque can be easily achieved by hand with the ratchet and socket in the tool kit, but it will likely be undertorqued by most if done by “feel” (i.e., the spec is higher than you might expect by feel alone) or overtorqued by some who crank down hard on everything.

Ford Bronco Frustrating Door Removal Process 59160D34-47C4-4743-8B8F-CB0D40310D54
I knew there was a spec but your over thinking it! Snug it up the door will click if it’s too loose or loosens up on you. I have thought that would it if cost that much for ford to build a clicker into the included ratchet to click at the specified torque. Just don’t be Hercules with it. Snug it up and go. I have had mine and my wife’s off and in multiple times. No issues. For suspension, brakes and engine work absolutely torque to spec. A door? Nah tights tight and too tights broke.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I knew there was a spec but your over thinking it! Snug it up the door will click if it’s too loose or loosens up on you. I have thought that would it if cost that much for ford to build a clicker into the included ratchet to click at the specified torque. Just don’t be Hercules with it. Snug it up and go. I have had mine and my wife’s off and in multiple times. No issues. For suspension, brakes and engine work absolutely torque to spec. A door? Nah tights tight and too tights broke.
I’m not overthinking anything. I don’t have to guess, check the door to see it it clicks, and then keep tightening by trial and error, hoping not to break cheap bolts. I’m an engineer. I torque to spec. I have three torque wrenches in a Lista cabinet next to the Bronco, and it’s second nature for me when working on autos and motorcycles. Easy peasey.

I was just addressing the torque spec, because two people had questioned the use of the word ‘torque’. “Snug it up and go” is not reliable guidance to others, because it will be interpreted differently by different people. Nevertheless, feel free to disregard that and do your own by feel. No judgment.

Last edited:

FatRat250

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands Squatch Lux Hot Pepper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was trying to take my doors off my 4dr Badlands today for the first time. I can get the middle connector off extremely easily, but I can’t seem to get the bolts off. The torque wrench is angled terribly where I can’t get any consistent travel. I am 6’4” and have huge hands. Any tips to make this process easier?
I had the same issue - not much clearance. I bought an electric socket wrench from ac delco on Amazon. Problem solved.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m not overthinking anything. I don’t have to guess, check the door to see it it clicks, and then keep tightening by trial and error, hoping not to break cheap bolts. I’m an engineer. I torque to spec. I have three torque wrenches in a Lista cabinet next to the Bronco, and it’s second nature for me when working on autos and motorcycles. Easy peasey.

I was just addressing the torque spec, because two people had questioned the use of the word ‘torque’. “Snug it up and go” is not reliable guidance to others, because it will be interpreted differently by different people. Nevertheless, feel free to disregard that and do your own by feel. No judgment.
Now I understand completely as I know a few engineers it’s just in your blood to have everything to spec and I can respect that.
Back when I was a certified mechanic if I’m working on a customers car absolutely everything is to spec. In this particular case to me it’s not a critical safety component. The doors are not going to jump off the hinges. So it’s not worth it to me to squeeze in with a torque wrench and possibly scratch something. If there’s a stretch of two or three days my wife is pulling her doors off. With the supplied ratchet you’d have to be one pretty strong / or slightly ignorant person to over tighten the Bolt to the point of failure. But I’m sure there are people out there that would bear down on that Bolt like it’s holding a wheel in place.
Sponsored