First Name
tripjammer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You got a bad ass system if I was gonna rip it all out I would go your route!
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Are you sure that this is better than the stock B&O speakers? I was assured by Bronco Nation that the B&O system was engineered for the best possible premium sound experience. 😂 😂 😂

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP
OP
Cold_steel

Cold_steel

Badlands
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you think upgrading the rear pods made a huge difference? I always heard to spend the most money on the front stage.
I can definitely hear them. I did spend more in front, but I don’t regret doing rear too. I’m a big fan of the focal flax cone sound

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cold_steel

Cold_steel

Badlands
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How are your mids at highway speeds with no 4” in the dash?

Also, how did you get the speaker channels back to the amp? Is that where Ford mounts the B&O DSP?
A lot better sounding than original. I’m not missing the mids up there - I think adding the tweeter really made the difference - there are really no tweeters in the B&O system which is really odd.

yep the stock B&O amp is back in the stock sub location. The zen unit taps into the audio bus digitally and allows you to get a flat signal.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cold_steel

Cold_steel

Badlands
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I couldn’t write a check for that amount of money without an itemized quote.
Let me clarify - everything but that was itemized for some reason. I honestly wonder if they forgot to charge for them.

OP
OP
Cold_steel

Cold_steel

Badlands
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice install but it seems like that charged a lot.
It was by far the most reasonable quote I got in the Denver area. Shop 1 quoted $14k. Shop 2 (Car Toys) quoted $11.5k and that was without replacing any speakers just adding processor, amp and a sub! This stuff isn’t cheap.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I haven't heard the B/O system but usually dollar for dollar aftermarket systems done right are way better than a factory upgrade. I want to upgrade mine but I'm just wondering if it's really necessary to put a lot of cash into upgrading the rear pods/speakers... most people seem to think it's better to just put that money towards the front components.
My 2 cents, you don't have to drop a ton of money on stuff to gain an appreciable improvement. However, those factory B&O speakers need to be headed straight to the trash bin.

Just replacing the three 4" front speakers, the two 4" rear pod speakers, and the two 6.5" kick panel speakers made a huge difference for me. The rear pods on the B&O go down to between 150-200 Hz, but definitely cut below 150 Hz in my testing.

After replacing the speakers, it still isn't "high end", but it's competent for a base factory system and roughly comparable to an 8 speaker 2021 Honda CR-V EX-L sound system. Which is a decent factory stereo (not amazing, but decent).

OP
OP
Cold_steel

Cold_steel

Badlands
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Based on your final build it seems kinda silly that you thought you might be happy with a factory optioned radio designed for the masses and not an audiophile.
I didn’t get Lux for the B&O system, so no loss. I wanted adaptive cruise more than anything.

OP
OP
Cold_steel

Cold_steel

Badlands
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
how about a few pictures on the wire routing? especially to the set up in the back .... the speaker pods and the sub?
I don’t have any shots of that unfortunately.

Sponsored

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My wife's Mach E has the B&O and it sounds amazing...never any cracking or anything...and we crank it pretty darn high. I haven't heard the Bronco's yet, but I'd be surprised if there was a lot of issues....if so, drop in some dynamat. B&O is high end and there shouldn't be a need to replace an entire system. It was developed by sound engineers for the vehicle...I tend to think that upgraded stereo units OEM are pretty good in modern vehicles.

If I'm dropping several thousand on the Bronco, it's going to go for ride parts. Don't get me wrong, I love good audio...however, I'm thinking (no offense intended) this is a solution for a problem that does not exist for most...
The B&O name is just licensed to Harmon. The drivers are pretty bad compared to even budget aftermarket replacements. Because the Bronco is a more inherently noisy vehicle, playing the radio louder exposes the B&O's weaknesses. The subwoofer in the back causes a bunch of trim panel rattle.

Most people go for the Lux package for the other features (like the adaptive cruise control). If the audio doesn't cut it for you, there are incremental changes (swapping out the 4" speakers, adding a sub/sub amp) that have a more modest budget.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man I'm so glad you wound up loving it! I'm definitely sneaking a listen in on the next trail ride we're both on 👀

For anyone else wondering, I had my base system upgraded by the same shop back in February and came in at about $2500, which covered swapping the dash and kick panel speakers out, a custom sub enclosure and an amp. All Focal but I can't remember which amp I have 😏 that was a budget conscience approach and I'm so happy with how it turned out! Still saved $1k versus going for the lux package for the B&O.

Slick85

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I can definitely hear them. I did spend more in front, but I don’t regret doing rear too. I’m a big fan of the focal flax cone sound
I definitely will replace the front comps and get a sub... I had Focal Polyglass in a Tahoe back in the day but the tweeters were very harsh although detailed. I've heard the new Flax tweeters are less bright.

I'm wondering on the back tailgate sub if I can get an installer to fab a box where the sub is almost completely covered... my Tahoe got broken into three times and it's no fun replacing stereo stuff!

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice, how do you like the Mach E? I was thinking of getting one soon to offset my lousy Bronco mileage ;) Seriously, I already have an older EV (Chevy Volt) and I know the tech works. I really like how the Mach E is strong competitor to the Tesla Y. They needed one and I think it delivers.

Maybe I can shed some light on the B&O for you as I have had mine since November. I didn't believe all the "B&O naysayers" either and still didnt after I first got my build. My factory B&O, although not the best factory system I have had, was good enough for me and I was happy with it, especially over the other factory alternative. Well that is until it warmed up and I started to take my top off and God forbid the doors. Fine at slow speeds but try enjoying the tunes on a freeway and you will see what I mean. Your Mach E might struggle with adequate sound too if you take its top/doors off ;) I replaced all my speakers but the subwoofer, and I can barely hear them at speed. What I do hear is likely very distorted (that is also heard to detect at 70mph) so will likely damage them if I do that to much. Thus, those sound engineers did not test it with top down or they would have factored that in. I have an old school Jeep CJ5 that I leave the top off and its old school audio upgrades kill the Bronco. So it can be done.

But... if you never take your top/doors off, then yeah, you probably will feel the B&O is adequate. Let me know what you think when you get yours.
First of all, the Mach E is awesome...my wife loves it...we have 25k on it...

Funny how you mention if the doors and roof were off. You know there was a recall with the roof sealant not holding in crashes and it coming off, lol. That's all fixed now.

My 1985 4Runner has a seriously amazing JL audio system with 12 inch sub, pioneer head unit, amp, etc...it's amazing...however, when I take down the soft-top, and am running on the highway, not much is going to overcome the wind turbulence unless I am trying to make myself deaf. If you add an amp and a subwoofer, it will likely do the trick. On the highway, you'll have more 'noise' but high end notes are still muffled by the wind noise.

An OEM system that's upgraded shouldn't rattle, no matter what. I agree that is a problem, if it is happening. I'd go to my local stereo shop and have them install the dynamat on the offending speakers...the one I use I trust fully...they are amazing.

As far as more power, yes, it'd neat an upgrade and likely very visible speakers to do so. A large subwoofer would also help, but it'd take up trunk space. It can most certainly be done, but after upgrading my 4Runner so everyone can hear me from 3 blocks away, I'd go with a more 'subtle' upgrade...lol...
Sponsored