Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I know nothing about PPF or wraps......at some point....do you remove it (and replace it?)......how does it affect things like washing and waxing? I added the factory PPF but I'm thinking of removing it.
It's easy to care for, but you should use a micro fiber towel when wiping to lessen the chance of scratching the film. Don't worry it's pretty tough stuff. XPel has a wax treatment they recommend that also prolongs the life of the film. The films I've had applied have only been on for 2 years, so I can't attest to the reliability of the treatment they recommend. But, I figure I have a good argument if something goes wrong if I use it as directed. You can use other products on it, but just make sure it won't harm the film in any way. The XPel Ultimate I used has a 10 year warranty. As far as removing it yourself I guess your could, but I don't know what the clean up of the paint would entail. The PPF sticks to the paint, but again I don't know what is used to make it stick.

Check with the installers in your area. I spoke with several in my area before I decided on the brand of PPF, and the installer I would use. And, don't forget to check the installers reviews to get an idea of their work quality. I used "Sun Stoppers" in Concord, and they have done all of my vehicles.

Last edited:

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's easy to care for, but you should use a micro fiber towel when wiping to lessen the chance of scratching the film. Don't worry it's pretty tough stuff. XPel has a wax treatment they recommend that also prolongs the life of the film. The films I've had applied have only been on for 2 years, so I can't attest to the reliability of the treatment they recommend. But, I figure I have a good argument if something goes wrong if I use it as directed. You can use other products on it, but just make sure it won't harm the film in any way. The XPel Ultimate I used has a 10 year warranty. As far as removing it yourself I guess your could, but I don't know what the clean up of the paint would entail. The PPF sticks to the paint, but again I don't know was is used to make it stick.
Yea, I’m trying to figure out if it’s something akin to a screen protector you use on your smartphone....it gets scratched, cracked, chipped, and you peel it off and your phone looks brand new...

Is this the purpose of the PPF but on a larger scale...or it’s not intended to be removed? I guess I don’t “get it”

Like what happens after 5 or 10 years?

Sponsored

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I want to do this to my FE when I get it. I'd love whatever film OP used that has a 10-year warranty. @Middleton_Sasquatch What film did you use?

Any idea which film is best/better/also has that level of warranty?

Also, anyone have a recommendation on a place in the Bay Area that does PPF?

(Sorry for all the questions. I read a previous thread about this and it was kind of all over the place... and this one actually has pictures. :) )

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yea, I’m trying to figure out if it’s something akin to a screen protector you use on your smartphone....it gets scratched, cracked, chipped, and you peel it off and your phone looks brand new...

Is this the purpose of the PPF but on a larger scale...or it’s not intended to be removed? I guess I don’t “get it”

Like what happens after 5 or 10 years?
It not like a screen protector for sure. What happens in 10 years I have no idea. My guess is it will last longer than 10 years, as that's just the warranty period. The film used today is leaps, and bounds better than what was used in the past. There's no yellowing, and fading like it used to be. If I keep one of mine long enough that it needs to be removed, or replaced I'll just take it back to an installer I guess.

As far as scratches it depends on the depth of the scratch. The XPel is self healing up to a point. Cracked, or chipped would be a different story. If anything hits it bad, or deep enough it will need to be replaced. A rock hit the wife's bumper some time back, and it gouged the film. That will not self heal. But it's not to the paint, and not bad enough that it needs replacing. You can check the web site for all the brands, XPel, 3M, etc., and there is a lot of information to help you to decide.

Vinny6G

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was looking into doing this on mine too. Till Xpel here in Dallas quoted me the price for a PPF full vehicle wrap....$7,495 ($600 less for softops).

Dang near fell out of my chair.

May do a partial front end, but thats still a whopping $1,500.

OP
OP
Middleton Motorsports

Middleton Motorsports

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
MM Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shop.middletonmotorsports.net
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If you don't mind me asking why didn't you go with the OEM protective film ford offered?
This PPF covers the entire Bronco

Sponsored

WhiteMamba

First Edition
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2015 F350 2010 Focus 1995 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If you don't mind me asking why didn't you go with the OEM protective film ford offered?
PPF wasn't offered on First Edition, also it is only part of hood, fenders and I believe mirrors.

OP
OP
Middleton Motorsports

Middleton Motorsports

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
MM Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shop.middletonmotorsports.net
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I was looking into doing this on mine too. Till Xpel here in Dallas quoted me the price for a PPF full vehicle wrap....$7,495 ($600 less for softops).

Dang near fell out of my chair.

May do a partial front end, but thats still a whopping $1,500.
That's a lot

WhiteMamba

First Edition
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I know nothing about PPF or wraps......at some point....do you remove it (and replace it?)......how does it affect things like washing and waxing? I added the factory PPF but I'm thinking of removing it.
If you have the money you should ceramic coat over the ppf

Drinxxs04

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks great, as well as the tint. Where did you get the tinting done? Sun prairie here, looking for when it shows up, hopefully this month.

I know you got the ppf probably in house at MM.

WhiteMamba

First Edition
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The Grill seems like it would be quite hard to do.
Sponsored