First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Tahoe 2-door, 1976 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know the new 2.7 Bronco owners manual recommends the use of 5w-30 Synthetic blend oil WSS-M2C961-A1.
This is the latest GF6 type oil.

Can the previous GF5 type oil, Motorcraft 5W-30 Synthetic blend WSS-M2C946-A be safely used as well?
I realize GF6 is backwards compatible for use in GF5 applications; my question is the older GF5 type oil safe to use in GF6 applications?
Thanks
Tbruz
Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not saying root cause but the GF-6 standard was developed to mitigate the risk of LSPI (low speed pre-ignition) which would be ideal to avoid if you have any fears about the prior issues with the 2.7

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't use GF-5.

LSPI isn't the only benefit of the GF-6 specification, but it certainly helps.

If LSPI is a concern then a catch can is also a good investment.

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No.

HereInOhio

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
GF-6 standard was developed to mitigate the risk of LSPI (low speed pre-ignition)
I have heard that the recommended Ford oil has additives to help with LSPI. I was trying to get an answer if Ford wants us to just use Motorcraft brand oils due to this or will other brands be sufficient. I still need to get ahold of Ford Corporate but the dealer said "it's ok to use any 5w-30 oil". I take that with very little confidence. I usually use full synthetic vs. semi synthetic.

A little tad of information I found out. This started since I read Motorcraft oil filters are made by Purolator. I usually use the Purolator Boss from Advance auto in my other cars so I called Purolator to quiz them, which I must say they were extremely patient with my 20 questions and very knowledgeable. The first bit of information is they said they do not make Ford oil filters. I thought maybe the OEM's didn't want them to admit it but they ensured me they are just aftermarket.

So I used to get the Purolator One but they came out with the Boss that's good for 15 or 20k miles. I change mine every 3-5k but I used it since it's synthetic material vs. a blend or cellulous as the "lower" filters are. Time for the interesting part, the higher priced filters are only good if you want to extend the time between changes. In fact if you change your oil at lesser intervals the cheaper filter is actually BETTER than the higher priced synthetic ones. This is because the microns that allow it to pass through are smaller. The synthetic has bigger "holes" that allow more to pass through and essentially is worse if changed in time. That being said I don't know if the impact of a 25 micron filter vs. a 20 micron filter on an engine.

Just thought I would share. I'm sticking with my Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Motorcraft filter (filter mainly to avoid complications where dealers blame stuff on an aftermarket filter that exceeds the OEM specs....).

Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have heard that the recommended Ford oil has additives to help with LSPI. I was trying to get an answer if Ford wants us to just use Motorcraft brand oils due to this or will other brands be sufficient. I still need to get ahold of Ford Corporate but the dealer said "it's ok to use any 5w-30 oil". I take that with very little confidence. I usually use full synthetic vs. semi synthetic.

A little tad of information I found out. This started since I read Motorcraft oil filters are made by Purolator. I usually use the Purolator Boss from Advance auto in my other cars so I called Purolator to quiz them, which I must say they were extremely patient with my 20 questions and very knowledgeable. The first bit of information is they said they do not make Ford oil filters. I thought maybe the OEM's didn't want them to admit it but they ensured me they are just aftermarket.

So I used to get the Purolator One but they came out with the Boss that's good for 15 or 20k miles. I change mine every 3-5k but I used it since it's synthetic material vs. a blend or cellulous as the "lower" filters are. Time for the interesting part, the higher priced filters are only good if you want to extend the time between changes. In fact if you change your oil at lesser intervals the cheaper filter is actually BETTER than the higher priced synthetic ones. This is because the microns that allow it to pass through are smaller. The synthetic has bigger "holes" that allow more to pass through and essentially is worse if changed in time. That being said I don't know if the impact of a 25 micron filter vs. a 20 micron filter on an engine.

Just thought I would share. I'm sticking with my Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Motorcraft filter (filter mainly to avoid complications where dealers blame stuff on an aftermarket filter that exceeds the OEM specs....).
I likewise use Penzoil Ultra Platinum. Penzoil updated to the new standards back in 2019 or maybe 2020 at the latest.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The new 2062A looks like a Mahle/Mann filter.

HereInOhio

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I likewise use Penzoil Ultra Platinum. Penzoil updated to the new standards back in 2019 or maybe 2020 at the latest.
It's made from natural gas opposed to crude oil so it's supposed to be a lot cleaner. Do I really know the details, no. What I do know is my friends and I used to wrench on a lot of cars and every time the normal Pennzoil was used the internal engine was red but flawless. Figured the synthetic would be just as good.

That being said a lot of high performance engine mechanics/owners rely on Blackstone Labs to analyze their oil. Its relatively inexpensive for anyone to send theirs in. You can go to their website and they basically say most oils are the same or perform similar (conventional vs. conventional, synthetic vs synthetic). The conclusion in multiple videos I watched was the Amazon or Costco synthetic oil for $12/5 qts works just as good. For me I overthink stuff so a new vehicle I'll spend the extra $60/year.

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's made from natural gas opposed to crude oil so it's supposed to be a lot cleaner. Do I really know the details, no. What I do know is my friends and I used to wrench on a lot of cars and every time the normal Pennzoil was used the internal engine was red but flawless. Figured the synthetic would be just as good.

That being said a lot of high performance engine mechanics/owners rely on Blackstone Labs to analyze their oil. Its relatively inexpensive for anyone to send theirs in. You can go to their website and they basically say most oils are the same or perform similar (conventional vs. conventional, synthetic vs synthetic). The conclusion in multiple videos I watched was the Amazon or Costco synthetic oil for $12/5 qts works just as good. For me I overthink stuff so a new vehicle I'll spend the extra $60/year.
Yeah I’ve heard the same summaries. I’ve seen engines using all top synthetic brands and I just chose to stick with Penzoil cuz it was easiest to acquire. Granted Ultra Platinum has had a premium applied and availability has been hit or miss for me. Been using the standard Platinum lately.

HereInOhio

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The new 2062A looks like a Mahle/Mann filter.
Mahle/Mann is the parent company of Purolator. I found that out when talking to them. That is where the discussion came from. I had an Audi and everyone on Audi forums swore the Audi filters were the same as the Mann without the Audi symbol. They looked identical and I was sold. A common problem with Audi's is the PCV valve goes bad and collapses the oil filter. This happened and when I took it in they said it was because I used the aftermarket filter. Obviously it's still BS and the aftermarkets meet or exceed the OEM's but this was why I was so surprised when Mann said they are only aftermarket not OEM. So even though they look the same they are not.

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
GF5 will work, but GF6 is better in nearly all respects across all applications.
https://www.lubesngreases.com/lubereport-americas/2_37/quick-uptake-forecast-for-gf-6/
The North American PCMO market will likely transition quickly to ILSAC GF-6 in 2020, said Jeff Thompson, market manager for passenger car motor oils and heavy-duty diesel oils.
ILSAC GF-6 raises the bar in most every dimension over ILSAC GF-5, Thompson said, offering better oxidation stability, better piston cleanliness, better wear control and improved fuel economy. In addition, it includes new tests for prevention of timing chain wear, prevention of low-speed pre-ignition and low viscosity grades.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco GF5 oils in place of GF6 ?? 718A8D7B-6E9E-46A7-B86C-44D53FA33CA2

here’s a blackstone report on pennzoil platinum from my 2.7. Only 3800 miles because I wanted to get even 5000 mile intervals after I dropped the factory fill at 1200 miles.

HereInOhio

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco GF5 oils in place of GF6 ?? 718A8D7B-6E9E-46A7-B86C-44D53FA33CA2

here’s a blackstone report on pennzoil platinum from my 2.7. Only 3800 miles because I wanted to get even 5000 mile intervals after I dropped the factory fill at 1200 miles.
Now if we only knew how to interpret it.
Sponsored