Sponsored

Oil change outside dealer - voids warranty? Best place?

kkurni

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My ford bronco is due for oil change.

The problem is ford dealer does not open on weekend.

Does it void the warranty if changing oil outside ford dealer?

If It does not void the warranty, what will be the best place?
Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base

We haven't gotten to the point where non-dealer oil changes voids the warranty.....yet. So no it doesn't. But it is good to document and keep receipts. Under service history on the Ford Pass app you can add service record and while I haven't done one yet can upload photos of receipts.

I don't have any recommendations, find a reputable shop. I would avoid the discount quick lube type places.

Personally there are very few shops I trust. For several reasons I do my own now. My bronco just passed 2500 miles and I picked up up the stuff today and will be changing the oil tomorrow. Since I am doing the work I am keeping receipt for the oil and filter I purchased.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lot of us do it ourselves. It’s not a bad oil change.

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's fine to have the dealer, or an independent shop, or change the oil yourself. On my BMW I change the oil once a year myself in June, and take it to the dealer in December and have them change it. It's very reasonably priced, it's just that they're an hour away so it's a bit of a pain to run down there, lol.

For our Jeep, same deal. Change it myself in the summer, take it to the dealer in the winter. Never had any issues with either. And in years past, I've had the local shop that I use change it for me. I take them the Mobil 1 oil and OEM filter, and they just charge labor.

Nothing to stress about.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't have any recommendations, find a reputable shop. I would avoid the discount quick lube type places.

Personally there are very few shops I trust. For several reasons I do my own now.
I got free oil changes for a year on the 2010 Ranger I ordered from a dealer in New Braunfels, TX (not mentioning any names here) and the first time I went to change the oil myself...the drain plug was stripped. They screwed up my order too.
Yeah...be careful who you take it to...INCLUDING THE DEALER.

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) it doesn’t take a master mechanic to change the oil in most vehicles. As such, oil changes can be delegated to a much lesser skilled employee and, because of that even at dealerships there can be screw-ups. Filters over tightened, drain plugs stripped (threads and/or heads), too much oil, wrong oil, forgot the oil, drained wrong component, fill caps left off, and on and on. On the 2.7L there is also a concern of over-tightening the plastic (engineered plastic) filter housing cover though it has a nice O-ring seal.

EDIT: And, oh yeah, if you turn the drain plug the wrong way you can strip the retaining pins on the engineered plastic oil pan requiring its replacement.

Now, you would think that at the “national oil change places” (that shall remain nameless), since they mostly change oil, they would get it right. Same issues though.

There are probably tens if not hundreds of thousands of oil changes done daily in the US. Probably less than 1 in 10,000 gets screwed up. Pretty good odds that nothing bad is going to happen. Yet for over 55 years I have always done it myself on every car I have owned, and never screwed up (yet).

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

With the funky plug on the Bronco I will let a dealer be the one that says "Geez I don't know what happened but we have to order a new oil pan for your Bronco. Here is a Fiesta you can drive until the parts come in."

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I got free oil changes for a year on the 2010 Ranger I ordered from a dealer in New Braunfels, TX (not mentioning any names here) and the first time I went to change the oil myself...the drain plug was stripped. They screwed up my order too.
Yeah...be careful who you take it to...INCLUDING THE DEALER.
Yep, and a big factor in that is because the new guys that are given the "simple" job of changing oil.

Similarly to your experience, one reason I do not trust shops to change oil is I had one shop that cross threaded the drain plug and just forced it on. That prevented it from sealing and it leaked oil, but slowly. It leaked four quarts without my realizing and the engine was toast. Shame on me for not checking the oil periodically, but it had never gone low before. That cost me $6,000 to replace the engine, there was 160K miles on the car then. Since then I've changed the oil myself every 3500 miles and now have 372K miles.

Essmith94

Badlands
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My ford bronco is due for oil change.

The problem is ford dealer does not open on weekend.

It will not void warranty to go outside a Ford dealer. I don't recommend it though. Wait for them to reopen and you'll have a certifies tech changing your oil (plus I found it helps when selling a vehicle too).
Sponsored