Sponsored

Coggin Ford dealership oil change disaster

What is your worst Ford dealership debacle?

• Total voters

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Kelly Ford in Melbourne, FL performed a recall service for seat belt and wiper/windshield something software reset. When they were done, I had no turn signals. "Oh, the tech forgot to reconnect it." Not sure what was or why it was disconnected unless they really played f'up with the computer program somehow.

I try to do my own oil changes. When I cannot, I take it to the local Valvoline quick change.
I hand them a FORD oil filter marked with date and mileage, and the Mobil 1 oil. Also, I take it there without the bash plate and reinstall it when I return home. It all gets re-inspected at home as well as the oil level before I leave. If the dipstick or oil cap is left loose, you could
get oil all over the engine compartment - FYI

I do not trust the tech's much. Still looking to find one that to take proper care of repairs.
You need to explain this better. In what scenario are you not able to change your oil, but you are able to buy the oil and filter, mark the filter, remove the bash plate (which I think you actually mean to call a splash guard or lower engine cover), take it to the quick lube place, go home, inspect and replace the cover, but not actually just change the oil yourself? Seems like you did 90% of the work and took longer, driving to and from the quick lube, than just doing it. I'm not sure why you trust them enough to change your oil, but don't trust that they would do it correctly.
Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No liability, they don’t own the dealership and don’t employ the people working there.
It's surprising how many people do not understand the difference between car dealers and car manufacturers. Do they think the same about groceries, TVs, etc?

MPN22BroncoOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Mikhail
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
[
It’s not the Mercedes, it’s a dumb shit tech that worked on it. I took my MB for an oil change, when checked the level at home after, it was less than half full

QUOTE="RichWpg, post: 2163581, member: 42875"]
I had the fabled Mercedes-Benz, Germany trained, $200/hr techs over torque my lugs to the point where they sheered off while I was driving through an intersection, causing one of my wheels to be liberated from the hub.

Let me tell you… nothing sinks your stomach like seeing your own wheel go through an intersection while you sit there trying to process what is happening. Slowly, you realize what those “pop pop pop pop” noises your heard were.

Go ahead, ask me if I own any more Mercedes …
[/QUOTE]

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's surprising how many people do not understand the difference between car dealers and car manufacturers. Do they think the same about groceries, TVs, etc?
We have an assembly plant in the city and the people that work there don’t understand it. They tend to be a little “entitled “ and get really upset sometimes when our dealership won’t give them an employee discount.🤣

Larry Johnston

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Larriat
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One item missing from the list, loose oil filter. I caught that before it really made a mess. My niece on the other hand wasn't so lucky, 3mi. from the dealership oil and smoke coming out from under the hood. luckily motor wasn't hurt but what a mess.

Have to add one more to the list, over tightened oil filter. Again If your lucky with a lot of mussel it comes loose. If your luck runs out again as it did for my brother. you get the biggest screwdriver you can find and drive it threw the filter hope and pray you get it loose. thankfully it worked. That said, I do my own Maintenace.
Hi, I’m here from Ranger 5G, actually because I considered trading my 2019 Ranger Lariat (41k) with no issues for a Bronco even though I have a 10yr 100,000 mile extended warranty purchased with truck. I have 3 comments 1.) I think dealerships and institutions like Car Facts do everything to discourage you from doing maintenance-want to devalue because no “service record.“ 2. The pricing on Bronco’s is crazy, and finally there seems to be item after item of problems on the Bronco 6G site when compared to Ranger? Love Ford always have, but making me think I need to look at new base Land Cruiser or 4 Runner??

Sponsored

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had the fabled Mercedes-Benz, Germany trained, $200/hr techs over torque my lugs to the point where they sheered off while I was driving through an intersection, causing one of my wheels to be liberated from the hub.

Let me tell you… nothing sinks your stomach like seeing your own wheel go through an intersection while you sit there trying to process what is happening. Slowly, you realize what those “pop pop pop pop” noises your heard were.

Go ahead, ask me if I own any more Mercedes …
I've had this experience with a Jeep. Watching a 33" BFG bounce down the highway without you is certainly an unforgettable experience.

But I was the tech that didn't tighten the lugs. 😅

In my defense, I had just barely missed a concussion from a high lift jack trying to lower the Jeep to tighten the lugs the rest of the way... knot on the side of my head stuck out further than my ear.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi, I’m here from Ranger 5G, actually because I considered trading my 2019 Ranger Lariat (41k) with no issues for a Bronco even though I have a 10yr 100,000 mile extended warranty purchased with truck. I have 3 comments 1.) I think dealerships and institutions like Car Facts do everything to discourage you from doing maintenance-want to devalue because no “service record.“ 2. The pricing on Bronco’s is crazy, and finally there seems to be item after item of problems on the Bronco 6G site when compared to Ranger? Love Ford always have, but making me think I need to look at new base Land Cruiser or 4 Runner??
First, welcome to B6G. Keep in mind when reading through this forum that you are more likely to encounter posts writing about an issue they are having. What you aren't reading are the owners that have no problems.

1. With regard to service, owners can enter/log their maintenance in the Ford Pass app.
2. Pricing is what it is.
3. The base LC starts at $55,600 MSRP in a choice of colors - White, Black or Gray. Want an actual color, well you have to step up to the next trim. But of course, that brings you back to your second point. For $55,600, you get a lot more in the Bronco than you will in the base LC.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

moral of this story is simple: inspect your vehicle after each visit to dealer.
Yep, use to always find a new tool or rag after having any work done.

Man oh man this kind of thing is going to be happening more and more, and the reasons why should be obvious.
Unfortunely, you are correct with techs up to their eyes in work hopping from car to car & getting fatigued.

Sponsored

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
I understand circumstances dictating not being able to do your own oil. Also most of the lube technicians are usually guys with very little experience. They usually have a basic understanding of automotive equipment but they usually don't make enough to be as thorough as a seasoned line tech. You are right always check your vehicle after service but you really shouldn't have to. Oil change guys should be the ones who are more on the ball than anyone else in the dealership, considering that the oil change is the most requested service
The only thing dumber

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
I understand circumstances dictating not being able to do your own oil. Also most of the lube technicians are usually guys with very little experience. They usually have a basic understanding of automotive equipment but they usually don't make enough to be as thorough as a seasoned line tech. You are right always check your vehicle after service but you really shouldn't have to. Oil change guys should be the ones who are more on the ball than anyone else in the dealership, considering that the oil change is the most requested service
The only thing dumber is going to a dealer for oil change. The boss's nephew on Crack is doing oil changes.
Either learn how to do this simple shit by yourself or find a mom an pop shop to do it.
I won't trust those oil change guys to do shit I know how to do myself.
Sorry but that's the way it is.
Paul in AZ
PS. bring your oil and filter and a bit of bourbon..and I'll do it for you.

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The only thing dumber is going to a dealer for oil change. The boss's nephew on Crack is doing oil changes.
Either learn how to do this simple shit by yourself or find a mom an pop shop to do it.
I won't trust those oil change guys to do shit I know how to do myself.
Sorry but that's the way it is.
Paul in AZ
PS. bring your oil and filter and a bit of bourbon..and I'll do it for you.
I'm a tech for the dealer and even before I worked in the automotive field I did it myself. Always have and always will. Currently teaching my daughter to do it

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The problem with sites like these is a single issue can be blown up to appear to be rampant, even if only a few people experience it. The first year of any new vehicle is going to be more problematic. But I really think Bronco reliability is solid. We’ve had zero issues with ours over 15 months. That’s anecdotal, of course. Consider that Ranger and Bronco share a few things in common.

That said, I would only switch if the Bronco would fill a need that the Ranger cannot, because it’s expensive to buy and sell vehicles and current interest rates are probably higher than when you got your loan.