Sponsored

Coggin Ford dealership oil change disaster

What is your worst Ford dealership debacle?

• Total voters

ADK23

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
At our dealership the oil change guys go through 3 weeks of training which involves 1 week of watching a tech do the work, a week of helping the tech do the work and then the last week is them doing the work with the tech watching and being hands off
At least they are getting training. Thats how it should be everywhere for sure 👍
Sponsored

BBQBennz

Black Diamond
First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2001 Z06 Vette
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Kelly Ford in Melbourne, FL performed a recall service for seat belt and wiper/windshield something software reset. When they were done, I had no turn signals. "Oh, the tech forgot to reconnect it." Not sure what was or why it was disconnected unless they really played f'up with the computer program somehow.

I try to do my own oil changes. When I cannot, I take it to the local Valvoline quick change.
I hand them a FORD oil filter marked with date and mileage, and the Mobil 1 oil. Also, I take it there without the bash plate and reinstall it when I return home. It all gets re-inspected at home as well as the oil level before I leave. If the dipstick or oil cap is left loose, you could
get oil all over the engine compartment - FYI

I do not trust the tech's much. Still looking to find one that to take proper care of repairs.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Ford Motor Company - Your assistance is required...

@dimasin - Ensure you have your VIN handy. I suspect you may receive a request for it shortly...

Tacanta14

Black Diamond
First Name
Wasichu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4 Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
One item missing from the list, loose oil filter. I caught that before it really made a mess. My niece on the other hand wasn't so lucky, 3mi. from the dealership oil and smoke coming out from under the hood. luckily motor wasn't hurt but what a mess.

Have to add one more to the list, over tightened oil filter. Again If your lucky with a lot of mussel it comes loose. If your luck runs out again as it did for my brother. you get the biggest screwdriver you can find and drive it threw the filter hope and pray you get it loose. thankfully it worked. That said, I do my own Maintenace.
If I don't have any mussels, can I use oysters or clams instead?

OP
OP
dimasin

dimasin

Black Diamond
First Name
Dimasin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Service manager apologized, will order plate, reimburse for the tire and fill up the tank since it got hit to check for leaks. I am feeling better.

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last week February 13th I took my 4 door Black Diamond to local dealer for routine oil change and tire rotation. Work was done on time and I drove truck back home. Checked oil level and it was perfect. Little I knew how much damage can one moron technician can achieve... Few days later I lost engine bash plate on highway and got flat tire in the process. At the moment I thought my truck was disintegrating in a hurry, but at least I did not loose control of the vehicle and was able to turn off on next exit. Of course, every couch mechanic on this board will blame me for 1. Not doing oil change myself (honestly, I love doing it, but this time I couldn't due to circumstances) and 2. Not completely inspecting vehicle after visit to dealer (Again, I just couldn't do it!).
After incident I got a new tire and called dealership. Service advisor did not return phone call and after I left message to service department manager, nobody bothered calling me back. I will drop my truck tomorrow and will update you what solution will be provided in person.
Next will be general manager of Coggin Ford and Ford Motor Company. In the mean time, moral of this story is simple: inspect your vehicle after each visit to dealer.
Man oh man this kind of thing is going to be happening more and more, and the reasons why should be obvious.

Dino357

Wildtrak
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Wild trac /95 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That's one reason I like my front and rear facing dash camera that is recording all the time. It also voice announces it is recording when you start the truck. I think they are extra careful when they see that ,lol. I still mark my oil filter before I carry it in though since the only time I had a negative experience was years ago when they left my marked filter on the car.
What type of dash camera do you have ?
Is it connected to the cameras on your Bronco's camera system ?

triton420

Badlands
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One item missing from the list, loose oil filter. I caught that before it really made a mess. My niece on the other hand wasn't so lucky, 3mi. from the dealership oil and smoke coming out from under the hood. luckily motor wasn't hurt but what a mess.

Have to add one more to the list, over tightened oil filter. Again If your lucky with a lot of mussel it comes loose. If your luck runs out again as it did for my brother. you get the biggest screwdriver you can find and drive it threw the filter hope and pray you get it loose. thankfully it worked. That said, I do my own Maintenace.
My 2023 Badlands was delivered new with a loose and dripping oil filter!

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last week February 13th I took my 4 door Black Diamond to local dealer for routine oil change and tire rotation. Work was done on time and I drove truck back home. Checked oil level and it was perfect. Little I knew how much damage can one moron technician can achieve... Few days later I lost engine bash plate on highway and got flat tire in the process. At the moment I thought my truck was disintegrating in a hurry, but at least I did not loose control of the vehicle and was able to turn off on next exit. Of course, every couch mechanic on this board will blame me for 1. Not doing oil change myself (honestly, I love doing it, but this time I couldn't due to circumstances) and 2. Not completely inspecting vehicle after visit to dealer (Again, I just couldn't do it!).
After incident I got a new tire and called dealership. Service advisor did not return phone call and after I left message to service department manager, nobody bothered calling me back. I will drop my truck tomorrow and will update you what solution will be provided in person.
Next will be general manager of Coggin Ford and Ford Motor Company. In the mean time, moral of this story is simple: inspect your vehicle after each visit to dealer.
No body touches my Bronco but me.
I do almost all of my maintenance and service.
Just changed a Turbo on my F350.
Sooo the water pump went out on my wifes Explorer. It's internal to the engine and a @#$% to replace.
I said to hell with it and brought it in to Ford.
As long as they had it all apart I said change the plugs, wires, flush the radiator, change air filter , cabin filter and change differential and tranny fluids.
Ater we got it back I noticed an occasional miss at idle. One coil pack wasn't installed correctly (no biggie I just tightened it down, It was an easy one to fix) and I could tell they didn't change the rear differential fluid. (the muffler has to be dropped to do it)
A week after I got it back the alternator took a shit.
While changing the alternator the air intake filter assembly has to be removed and I noticed leaves inside the filter housing and a dirty air filter, they hadn't replaced it.
I took pictures of the stuff they had charged me for but didn't do and raised holy hell with the service manager.
I offered 3 free oil changes and refunded me the money for the stuff they didn't do.
I took 3 free filters, no way I was going to let them touch anything again.

Girard215

Outer Banks
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500. Dodge Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You should not have to check anything if you are paying for a service. But back to reality, many people do not take pride in their work .

Sponsored

Charlotte Kev

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I voted for loose lug nuts but I noticed half were missing and only finger tight after my service. Thankfully I stopped for lunch next to the dealership and found this before jumping on the freeway…😳

IMG_2026.jpeg
Fuuuuu…damn that’s pretty bad.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What type of dash camera do you have ?
Is it connected to the cameras on your Bronco's camera system ?
It is the Thinkcam from Ford accessory store.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Gosh another horror story. My poor 1987 Chevy Squarebody I am restoring has had much work done to it in the past- by other shop and even shops I have brought it to. I have spent more time fixing other horrible mechanics screw ups than I am fixing the things that I want to fix or improve that were not done previously. Over tightened fasteners, stripped fasteners, stripped lug nuts, crimped fuel lines, wrong bolts, crossed thread bolts and nuts, incorrect fasteners, fasteners tightening against plastic too tight cracking the plastic, missing fasteners, brackets incorrectly mounted not even seating flush. I could go on and on...........

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not Ford, but Nissan. I sent 18 yo son to get oil changed in his (my) Frontier. I got home and saw this. I asked him to come outside and tell me what he thought was going on, he was unsure, but I knew, loose oil filter.

Ford Bronco Coggin Ford dealership oil change disaster IMG_7662
Sponsored