Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm ordering with soft top
A. easy anytime convertible in SoCal
B. waiting for a white hard top (CG 4door)
C. no need for wiper/defrost
Sponsored

TimmH

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As a Jeep owner I can tell you the wiper and defroster aren't worth much.

In fact, I didn't even plug them back in the last time I put the top back on, and haven't missed them. With the tire mounted on the back, there is very little rear window that is useful anyway.

I count the dirt on the rear window as a security filter. :p

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

See if this helps. I have the hard top on my Jeep. I turn the wiper on sometimes just to see if it still works. With the rear glass straight up and down it's never fogged over, so I don't know if the rear defroster even works.

However, if you want the wiring I also suggest you wait it out. Get your new baby just like you want it.

Disclaimer: I live in the southern part of North Carolina. YMMV

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was reading thread and looked in the wiring diagram to see if it differentiated between soft and hard tops which it doesn't. From what I can see it looks like the wiring will be back there.
Ford Bronco Hard top - rear electronics 1620994602992

Ford Bronco Hard top - rear electronics 1620994832654

Ford Bronco Hard top - rear electronics 1620994978708

Questions that will need to be answered. Will the steering column control module be configured the same for hard and soft tops? Will the wiper/turn signal switch be the same for both even if it came with soft top? If hard top is added later, will it be as simple as a short section of wiring for heated glass/wiper washer and run a washer hose if desired?

Looking at the diagram it looks like most of the electrical connections/functions are or should be there. Ford could modify these at some point if there is a difference between soft and hard but my initial thought is it's possible based on what I'm seeing. The big items are switch? Ability to turn on rear wipe/wash in SCCM through IDS/FDRS/Forscan and washer hose or washer pump.

To be fair, I used the VIN from a 4 door soft top FE to pull the diagram. They are the same for a 2 door soft top and 4 door hard top. If they didn't make this a simple plug and play for hard top, someone needs to take the walk of shame from GOT.

Sponsored

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@flip I will try to find the official Ford (Mike Levine) comment but I know it has been stated that soft tops will not have any of the wiring or tubing in the rear door. There is speculation that the wiring from the steering column to the back is also absent but has not been confirmed. This would make it entirely unfeasible to add later if you do pay the expensive price to get a standalone hard top

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@flip I will try to find the official Ford (Mike Levine) comment but I know it has been stated that soft tops will not have any of the wiring or tubing in the rear door. There is speculation that the wiring from the steering column to the back is also absent but has not been confirmed. This would make it entirely unfeasible to add later if you do pay the expensive price to get a standalone hard top
That is entirely possible. What I'm seeing is no differentiation in the diagram. Generally, when there is a difference they will add a box around a section with a comment like "if equipped" or "with blah blah blah package" or something similar. It is lunacy (at least to my little mouse brain) to not have the ability to add things like this when we are talking about a minimal amount of cost. You have two wiring harnesses, 2 door and 4 door. Not, 2 door with or without hard top or 4 door with or without hard top. So you have to add a section of hose, most are run along with a harness anyway so just include it. Again, minimal cost for later customization. At most, I can see a different wiper/washer switch and turn the accessory on in the module. Just my opinion though.

This kinda stuff from Ford drives me nuts because I think they look at cost of harness as an area to save a couple bucks (at most) if they don't include those wires. Not, this limits the customer's option of buying a hard top kit from us (with tons more margin) in the future. Modularity and scalability makes sense a lot of sense to me. Plus they cut down on the number of different part numbers for the whole vehicle line.

Last edited:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It can/will be done, it's just a matter of module configurability, how much wiring, how much hose and how much time. I have a picture hanging in my office with a saying I've been preaching to my kids since they've been little.
Better to have and not need, than need and not have. Would like to hear the reasoning as to why the wiring is not there. No way it's cost because making 2 harnesses has to be cheaper than making 4. Oh well.

dmalaquias

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Porsche Cayenne S, Audi Allroad
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I have the opportunity to order NOW with delivery in August. BUT...It has to be with the soft top only. Now Ive heard that if you dont get it with the hard top that the wiring and plumbing wont be there. So imagine how torn I am. I know its just the rear defrost and wipers but you use them eventually and its the principle of having the hard top totally nonfunctional. Should I wait??? SO torn!
So, if you're only ordering now (not changing an existing order) you're a 2022 anyway. Those of us with early reservation numbers from last July and buildable configurations will be lucky to receive our Bronco's in August.

Sponsored

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a Jeep owner I can tell you the wiper and defroster aren't worth much.

In fact, I didn't even plug them back in the last time I put the top back on, and haven't missed them. With the tire mounted on the back, there is very little rear window that is useful anyway.

I count the dirt on the rear window as a security filter. :p
Must get a lot of snow in Florida ...

TimmH

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
no snow, but the back window gets filthy. Even without dirt/snow/rain, there's not much viewing space around the mounted tire.

BroncoTodd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X 100D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually the rear defrost DOES matter. And is Ford gonna refund me for paying for that wiring and plumbing thats not there? Alot of it is about principle too
It sounds like you answered your own question... you want the hard top.

But, you are very late to the ordering party... so is it worth waiting a year to get the washer / electric hookup for a hard top?

if I were in your shoes, I would take the dealer up on their offer to see if it was actually legit. When it turns out not to be true, then switch your order back to a hard top or cancel it.

Or, you could place 2 orders. More likely than not you will be able to make money off of the first Bronco even having driven it for a while by the time your 2nd order gets a VIN.

survivormanca

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just switched from dual with MIC to soft only. Still unlikely but I'd save $1800 and get $1000 in ford points.

Will pick up MIC later, figure I'd add wiring later for defrost (don't care about wiper). If that don't work, remote start will.

If I hit September and go MY 22 anyway I'll switch back.
How are you get the points? Did you have to contact Ford?

TimmH

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
wouldn't the real issue with "add it later" idea be the wiper control on the steering column, and it's ability to control the rear wiper if one was not included in the original options?
Sponsored