Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition, 2013 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I had a rattling/tapping and it was driving me nuts. I found a suggestion to get vacuum caps and put them over the metal pins. Sound disappeared.
Although if you tried the electrical tape that may not work for you either.
Sponsored

CrazyPete

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I used to get that same exact sound. It was driving me crazy. I found out it was coming from the latch over the driver's side rear seat. I bought some Shin-Etsu silicone grease and applied it where i show the red arrow, where the two pieces meet. It was immediately gone and has never come back. 👍

Ford Bronco Hard top tapping / popping sound 1708986023036

Ford Bronco Hard top tapping / popping sound Screenshot_20240419_144809_Gallery

Spidartanks

Raptor
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I used to get that same exact sound. It was driving me crazy. I found out it was coming from the latch over the driver's side rear seat. I bought some Shin-Etsu silicone grease and applied it where i show the red arrow, where the two pieces meet. It was immediately gone and has never come back. 👍

Thanks for the tips: I did see grease on mine in that exact same spot from the dealer so I assume they tried this exact issue

thanks for the idea though

CrazyPete

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the tips: I did see grease on mine in that exact same spot from the dealer so I assume they tried this exact issue

thanks for the idea though
Yeah, doubt the dealership used a high quality silicone grease, like Shin-Etsu....."silicone" being the keyword here. Probably just used some plain jane all-purpose grease, which is not really gonna help you in this situation. I would be willing to bet that's your issue.

Spidartanks

Raptor
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yeah, doubt the dealership used a high quality silicone grease, like Shin-Etsu....."silicone" being the keyword here. Probably just used some plain jane all-purpose grease, which is not really gonna help you in this situation. I would be willing to bet that's your issue.
Ok good to know and thank you. I will keep this idea in my mind. But I do think the latch is done up too tight as it goes away when I half latch it ? I’m going to have a play this weekend

Sponsored

CrazyPete

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ok good to know and thank you. I will keep this idea in my mind. But I do think the latch is done up too tight as it goes away when I half latch it ? I’m going to have a play this weekend
If you're saying that the popping sound goes away if you half latch it?.....then that just solidifies my belief that is 100% your problem.

Think about it like this....when it is fully latched, it's very tight. With every significant bump you hit, that roof joint is flexing enough to cause the latch, where it's meeting the roof, to slip a little....making the noise. A high quality silicone grease will fix it. 👍

Spidartanks

Raptor
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If you're saying that the popping sound goes away if you half latch it?.....then that just solidifies my belief that is 100% your problem.

Think about it like this....when it is fully latched, it's very tight. With every significant bump you hit, that roof joint is flexing enough to cause the latch, where it's meeting the roof, to slip a little....making the noise. A high quality silicone grease will fix it. 👍
Very well explained and this makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info I will give this a shot for sure

👍
Sponsored