First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone have any hoist / good product experiences for top removal ?
* 2 door
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I rigged up some ratchet straps on my garage joists for my YJ top. Didn't work as well as the store bought options, but good enough for free.

Bronco top should be a bit lighter.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still have a hoist in the garage that was for a camper shell, should word fine to get the top off, I am in my 70's and can't press 350 any more :LOL:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd imagine there are all kinds of examples at the Jeep and classic Bronco forums.
One that stands out is using the hand winch from a boat trailer, various cables and pulleys and you end up with a 4 into 1 cable that will lift all four corners simultaneously.

Guys will usually use 2X4's and get them under the top and hook into some eyebolts or whatever and crank the top up to the ceiling and then secure it with some type of safety straps or chains.

Somebody took that idea and improved it by using a CHEAP!! UTV electric winch. Low effort just bacame nearly NO effort!

Reactions: Cat

Sponsored

NH-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon Hard Rock
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Top hoist for my Jeep. $22 at Home Depot.
I bought 4 eye bolts and a 4 pack of ratchet straps. Total cost $22.
I backed my Jeep into the garage, located the studs in the ceiling. I took a length on sting with a nut tied to one end for a plumb. Let it hang from the ceiling and marked the four corners of the top. Screwed the eyebolts at the four marked locations in the ceiling. Unbolted the top and attached the ratchet strap hooks under the lip of the top. Adjusted the ratchets and drove the Jeep out. So simple.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Waiting to get the bronco home. I am doing the 4 door...but getting a hardtop. We have an almost 12ft ceiling height in our garage and I think i might be able to get the top to fit over the garage door....maybe. Otherwise I will have to back in the bronco to remove the back top.

My idea will be to run some plastic shethed metal cable threw eyelets in the ceiling with a utv winch in the attic space to pull up/down the back clamshell top. I want to reinforce and build a cradle for the winch as roof lower truss beams flex a lot so I want to build something to hold the weight better.

cp6789

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler MOAB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a tight, short garage so no option for a hoist, but I have a toplift pro for my JLU. Works fantastic, hope it can work for the Bronco or if they end up making one for the Bronco, I would sell the Jeep one and buy it for the Bronco, no questions asked.

https://topliftpros.com/

EDIT: I reached out to TLP regarding the Bronco and they "working on a product they are hoping to launch before the end of the year"

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I backed my Jeep into the garage, located the studs in the ceiling. I took a length on sting with a nut tied to one end for a plumb. Let it hang from the ceiling and marked the four corners of the top. Screwed the eyebolts at the four marked locations in the ceiling. Unbolted the top and attached the ratchet strap hooks under the lip of the top. Adjusted the ratchets and drove the Jeep out. So simple.
Yup, did the exact same thing. Got it down to a science now and can be in and out of the garage sans top in under 5 minutes.

Reactions: Cat

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I'm going to rig something simple like this:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dr.Z

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also wondering how awkward it will be to put doors on/off by myself. Not that the weight is an issue but holding plus hinges

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,‘21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm still on the fence for the roof racks. I really want them, but i want to b able completly remove the top too. maybe there will be a better aftermarket roof rack solution later.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I build mine at first then we moved.
On the next 2 houses i bought this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/Harken-4-Point-Hoister-45-145-Package/

Pretty easy to install if you are a little handy.
The way the straps go through the top (from window to back) make it kind of universal, i believe i need no change from Wrangler 4Dr to Bronco 2Dr.

Works great, easy to pull the roof up. (I had a boat trailer winch on my homemade setup which worked great too)
Sponsored