Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I know theres a few of these out there but perhaps I'm the first diy with the hard top stored above the garage doors when closed (so I don't need to back in). Fortunate to have a very tall garage (happens to be a very narrow2 door garage too).

But it was a major challenge to get the clearance, which involved me getting shorter straps, and adding a unabar.

Also added the 4 ratchet straps to eye bolts, to ensure it stays level, as a backup safety, and to give me confidence that its barely clearing the garage door.

i will add a full list with amazon links later.

btw, things to note, make sure it lifts level, i actually messed up and had to self repair one of the hardtop alignment pins on my first attempt.

im going too ppf the roll bars, hard to avoid it banging around especially coming down.

the 2 door hardtop is heavy and awkwardly back heavy when lifting by hand.

2 door looks sick with roof off, so glad to have this option!

AD6EB6B2-31E9-4DF3-B138-5CC9540FA0A6.jpeg

5C5DC1E5-0BA0-4887-B416-AE42816EDE18.jpeg

59728B79-5EA5-440F-8A36-D51EA0A341E2.jpeg
Sponsored

DW HOG

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I know theres a few of these out there but perhaps I'm the first diy with the hard top stored above the garage doors when closed (so I don't need to back in). Fortunate to have a very tall garage (happens to be a very narrow2 door garage too).

But it was a major challenge to get the clearance, which involved me getting shorter straps, and adding a unabar.

Also added the 4 ratchet straps to eye bolts, to ensure it stays level, as a backup safety, and to give me confidence that its barely clearing the garage door.

btw, things to note, make sure it lifts level, i actually messed up and had to self repair one of the hardtop alignment pins on my first attempt.

im going too ppf the roll bars, hard to avoid it banging around especially coming down.

DW HOG

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What is the lifting capacity and manufacture of the electric hoist. Amazon has so many brands and sizes it’s hard to determine the best brand to purchase that you can feel comfortable. Did you attach the straps ends to the winch hook or do you have a bar running across the top to the straps on each side.

OP
OP

mykoljay

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What is the lifting capacity and manufacture of the electric hoist. Amazon has so many brands and sizes it’s hard to determine the best brand to purchase that you can feel comfortable. Did you attach the straps ends to the winch hook or do you have a bar running across the top to the straps on each side.
220 or 440 pounds, depending on how its setup with the hook.

The bar wasnt required but i do feel like its more stable (tilts less). I also was playing around with strap lengths and the bar to get the least slack because I needed to clear the garage.

the bar has eye hooks on the ends and the straps have big caribeaners that click into them.

JJ_Gecko80

Big Bend
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This looks great. And yes, that top is incredibly heavy. I was surprised.

Sponsored

Danh63

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X4, BMW 840, Chevy Trailboss
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I have the same winch system from my Lange jeep lift. I noticed your connecting point is towards the rear. How do you keep the front from tipping ?

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How is the weather stripping holding up with the strap going across it in the front and back? I am thinking a pool noodle along the front and back edge so the weather stripping is not getting compressed.

OP
OP

mykoljay

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have the same winch system from my Lange jeep lift. I noticed your connecting point is towards the rear. How do you keep the front from tipping ?
Its super back heavy (the glass the heaviest part). I found the right spot. And then i have those 4 hooks to keep it stores perfectly level, and to avoid garage door from hitting it

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Curious how you attached the eye hooks to the unistrut bar (the unabar you are using)? Thank you.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice work. I think I have that exact same electric hoist, bought it a few years ago (maybe $35 or something around that) for a project to lift a basement ping pong table to the ceiling, to get it out of the way. Never got around to that, maybe I'll try using it for a hardtop lift, if my Bronco ever arrives.

How do you feel about the control of the hoist in terms of speed and finesse, when lifting and especially setting the top back down? Do you have enough control to avoid accidently smashing it down? And I suppose you setup the ring that stops the hoist from lifting, to avoid accidently lifting the top too high and crunching something?

Sponsored

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M Coupe // Volvo P1800S // Caterham CSR 200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks nice and clean. Good job. đź‘Ť
Will you be installing a soft top or taking off the hard top randomly?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Great looking setup! Would love to see your parts list, and some pics of the strapping around the back window.

Lucky guy to have that kind of ceiling height, you could easily get a 2-post lift in there as well! :love:
Sponsored