Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I saw some cool Jeep hardtop hoists online and made one for my 2 door Bronco. I can have the top on or off in about 5 minutes by myself.

Ford Bronco My DIY Electric Hoist for Bronco Hardtop 05D6C77F-3C6C-4E7A-92EC-8E4AAD37D4E9

Ford Bronco My DIY Electric Hoist for Bronco Hardtop DE833E88-7716-4D2B-B067-069A193578F0

Ford Bronco My DIY Electric Hoist for Bronco Hardtop 27CD405C-1944-415A-9F69-92995BEBF0D5

Ford Bronco My DIY Electric Hoist for Bronco Hardtop 3F99197C-A7FE-431B-86FB-59FB23C93565

Ford Bronco My DIY Electric Hoist for Bronco Hardtop CE6417BD-ACBE-4C5E-9252-F00FF95B9BC2

Sponsored

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw some cool Jeep hardtop hoists online and made one for my 2 door Bronco. I can have the top on or off in about 5 minutes by myself.

Ford Bronco My DIY Electric Hoist for Bronco Hardtop IMG_2721.MOV
Well that's jest slicker'n owl shit on a brass doorknob in a hurricane!!!

Oh! Does anyone else think Ford shoulda painted the top frame/roll bar structure/whatever-it-is-thingie BLACK, instead of vehicle color?
Sure would look better.
Looks like I'll be buying some rattle cans of black line-x, if I ever get my truck...

stonerdoom

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is simply awesome.

Signal Ahead

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well that's jest slicker'n owl shit on a brass doorknob in a hurricane!!! Oh! Does anyone else think Ford shoulda painted the top frame/roll bar structure/whatever-it-is-thingie BLACK, instead of vehicle color? Sure would look better. Looks like I'll be buying some rattle cans of black line-x, if I ever get my truck...

Signal Ahead

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow! Holy Bat Cave Complexity, Dude! The one I saw online had like two rollers and some old fashioned clothes line. You went above the water mark and made quite a set up there. That was a lot of work! But... Man! It certainly works as it should and smoothly!

Sponsored
OP
OP
rsmag9

rsmag9

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That is simply awesome.
thanks, yeah I didn’t care for the way the first attempt came out. (You can see the center hole in the drywall) I originally had the hoist mounted above the bronco, centered in the attic, and dropped one cable down. It made rigging the hardtop very tricky, and if you didn’t have it just right it would pick it up awkwardly. It took some more time but the four cable drops made it super easy and fast to get a perfect pick. I just run a 6’ strap from front to back on each side and hit the button. It raises perfectly straight and level every time. No more messing around getting everything just right.

Signal Ahead

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am mad that they didn't make the roll bars a) unboltable and b) made from rolled 3" round stock, like all old-school 4x4 standard roll bars and racks!

Give me that, a big block V8, twin 9 inch Ford axles, factory Ford tube headers with glass packs modeled after the old Cherry Bombs, and factory, Ford/Hellas of KCs (def not Rigid; all I think of is Lowes or Home Depot whenever I see anything Rigid and that depresses me because think of fixing up the house). Anyway, give me all those things and I will be a pig in... Well, you know the rest. But, that roll bar should def be black and 3 inch round stock!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rsmag9

rsmag9

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It’s a little overdone but it works perfectly and I figured the super quick top removal or install was worth it. I also like how everything gets sucked up into the pvc tubes and is out of sight when the top is on the bronco.

OP
OP
rsmag9

rsmag9

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don’t have an exact parts list because I had some of the supplies already but here’s what I recall using (I built it about 6 months ago).
National Hardware pulleys (8)
Harbor Freight Hoist (I think I bought the 880lb one but it’s overkill).
1/8 cable and clips
Hooks (4)
Pvc pipe and fittings
As far as wood goes I used 2x8’s to get the height I needed to draw the hooks up into the attic. I also mounted the pulleys to 4x4’s. One tip that I wish I would have known from the start is how much nicer and easier structural screws are versus lag bolts, I highly recommend them.
Sponsored