Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ready to go Lifts for hardtops can be very expensive, so I decided to make my own, and I have to say, I am extremely happy with it. I ordered the dual tops for my bronco and needed a place to keep the other one when not in use.

The plan is, to keep the soft top on top of the rack. And when it’s time to swap them out, I would hook the hard top to the bottom of the rack, which would allow me to lift if higher with less above.

Here is the shopping list. The only thing I needed from Lowe’s was the pole that the hoist is attached to. Everything else was Amazon.

Uporstvo Quick Link 3/16Inch 304 Stainless Steel,12Pcs Chain Link M5,Oval Locking Carabiner,D Shape Repair Chain,648Lbs Capacity,Large Dog Chain,Camping Equipment (M3.5,M4,M5) https://a.co/d/eojK9Nx

I bought two sets of the pull. Only 8 are needed but figured I would have spares for future projects…

6 Pack Wall Mounted Pulley 1-1/2 Inch Wall and Ceiling Mount Single Pulley for 3/8" Wire or Rope, Zinc-Plated https://a.co/d/20qcj83

Jayzod Wire Rope 1/8” Stainless Steel Cable with Cutter,165FT Aircraft Cable 7X7 Strands Construction with 20pcs Crimping Sleeves,20pcs Thimbles for Decking Railings Stair https://a.co/d/6UMU0N1

FLEXIMOUNTS 3x6 Overhead Garage Storage Adjustable Ceiling Storage Rack, 72" Length x 36" Width x 40" Height, Black https://a.co/d/cWAtkIN

Limited-time deal: VEVOR Electric Hoist, 440LBS Electric Winch, Steel Electric Lift, 110V Electric Hoist with Remote Control & Single/Double Slings for Lifting in Factories, Warehouses, Construction Site, Mine Filed https://a.co/d/e23tQoY

Ford Bronco DIY Electric Lift for soft top / hardtop for $250 IMG_2160
Ford Bronco DIY Electric Lift for soft top / hardtop for $250 IMG_2161
Sponsored

TonkaTruck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great design and execution. I might have to steal this. I love the multifunctional aspect of it and the lower profile design for shorter garages.

Greasyfingers429

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Range Rover Sport Td6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That setup puts my budget hoist to shame. Nice project - thanks for sharing.
As long as all the parts including the mounting hardware are rated for overhead lifting, I’d sign off on it. If you are using wood screws/lag bolts, consider a through-bolt with nut on the back of the structure. Or, add a second locking restraint to hold it once in the raised position.
For comparison, my soft top hoist is just a manual hoist bicycle lift. Since I am slightly over its rated capacity (this was a temporary proof of concept), I added a backup system. Once it is in the raised position, I attach the stronger 550 paracord lanyards to the bolt holes to hold the weight.

IMG_2029.jpeg

01tundra

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Toyota Tacoma / 2021 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used an Amazon electric hoist for ours, lifts the top off the Bronco and provides storage for us. Total cost was around $150.

We use a similar set up to the OP for our kayaks and Mtn. bikes next to the soft top.

Ford Bronco DIY Electric Lift for soft top / hardtop for $250 hZ48RE7

YavK4Gr.jpg

Sponsored

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
OBX Sas Bronco, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wonder if any of these items will be marked down for prime day …

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
That looks great. Have you run lines on a boat before? That's what it reminds me of.

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is exactly what I was looking for since I am getting dual tops too.

OP
OP
Diydner

Diydner

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That setup puts my budget hoist to shame. Nice project - thanks for sharing.
As long as all the parts including the mounting hardware are rated for overhead lifting, I’d sign off on it. If you are using wood screws/lag bolts, consider a through-bolt with nut on the back of the structure. Or, add a second locking restraint to hold it once in the raised position.
For comparison, my soft top hoist is just a manual hoist bicycle lift. Since I am slightly over its rated capacity (this was a temporary proof of concept), I added a backup system. Once it is in the raised position, I attach the stronger 550 paracord lanyards to the bolt holes to hold the weight.

Ford Bronco DIY Electric Lift for soft top / hardtop for $250 IMG_1009_Original
I love your thought on the screws. I will defiantly look into securing it better. Thanks

Sponsored

Dan-O83

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco/67 GTO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sad thing is, the pulleys were the most expensive part!
Any chance to get some more pictures or parts list on this? I have a hard top and am looking at one of the preboxed options but would rather save the money and build myself.
Sponsored