Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is literally the best video I can recall - the hooks suddenly descending in unison made me laugh out loud at the ingenuity and surprise of it all, well done and thanks for sharing Rob!
Sponsored

OP
OP
rsmag9

rsmag9

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is literally the best video I can recall - the hooks suddenly descending in unison made me laugh out loud at the ingenuity and surprise of it all, well done and thanks for sharing Rob!
thanks guys, the whole group has me laughing at the comments. If anyone decides to do a similar setup Iā€™ll try to get an actual parts list and some more pics/vids

jonboy1225

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A long list of 3 pedalers, and various tow trucks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I saw some cool Jeep hardtop hoists online and made one for my 2 door Bronco. I can have the top on or off in about 5 minutes by myself.

05D6C77F-3C6C-4E7A-92EC-8E4AAD37D4E9.jpeg

DE833E88-7716-4D2B-B067-069A193578F0.jpeg

27CD405C-1944-415A-9F69-92995BEBF0D5.jpeg

3F99197C-A7FE-431B-86FB-59FB23C93565.jpeg

CE6417BD-ACBE-4C5E-9252-F00FF95B9BC2.jpeg

That's a pretty sweet setup! Crazy I was just thinking of an electric winch contraption while driving for work today, and this popped up in my Google feed

Lazarus327

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I saw some cool Jeep hardtop hoists online and made one for my 2 door Bronco. I can have the top on or off in about 5 minutes by myself.

05D6C77F-3C6C-4E7A-92EC-8E4AAD37D4E9.jpeg

DE833E88-7716-4D2B-B067-069A193578F0.jpeg

27CD405C-1944-415A-9F69-92995BEBF0D5.jpeg

3F99197C-A7FE-431B-86FB-59FB23C93565.jpeg

CE6417BD-ACBE-4C5E-9252-F00FF95B9BC2.jpeg

Rube Goldberg would be proud my brother, nice work!

Signal Ahead

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Itā€™s a little overdone but it works perfectly and I figured the super quick top removal or install was worth it. I also like how everything gets sucked up into the pvc tubes and is out of sight when the top is on the bronco.
Agree completely. Clean, concise and barely noticeable from the garage. Hey I am sure you know this, but I didn't because I never removed my top(prob never will); but I have heard several horror stories and seen pics of folks who aren't careful with the "Guide Pins'' and the entire lower flat lip, which, from every post I have read, is agreed to be beyond flimsy, cracks horrendously!

Oh, god I see some of the pics and there are these horrific cracks running from the large torx screws that hold the top down. I have also heard that Ford will not cover these issues because they claim it is a handling mistake when removing and placing the tops back on.

From what I have decided after reading both sides, it seems like Ford (rather whom Ford hired/subbed to build the tops)built the lower flanges rather cheaply and they are in no way able to withstand the weight of the entire top on the two centering pins. But arguing from the buyer's perspective, there most certainly should be warning stickers in the user's guide/ownerā€™s manual! Maybe a set of those silly red lightning bolts explaining to we the stoopid how the probability of horrendous and unacceptable fractures may occur. God! I have seen the pics and it would drive me absolutely crazy.

Yes, if needed, I could fab plates to cover the back and probably blend them in so you couldn't see them with a few days work and a lot of material I don't possess and would need to purchase to cover the large and structural unsafe cracks, but who the hell wants to do that to a 35 to 70 thousand dollar truck?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Signal Ahead

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Key Note Roll Bar. If rolled it won't do nothing but collapse. So you're correct. Why not a Chromoly round tube roll cage that fastens to the Frame from front to rear. At least as a option that you could pay for. I would rather have a full cage with off road seats and 5 point harness over air bags.
Absolutely. I think, or should I say, hope, Ford took the time to figure all this out for strength. I donā€™t like how the windshield is free like a Miata. They could have easily run something down the center that would stop the majority of the windscreen folding in on you like a Dennyā€™s serving tray coming down a mountain with three or four rolls. You would think with the research in the last decade and especially with this most horrendous F250 roof crush deal, which they are looking to get 3 billion out of, that roofs and folks safety would be a pretty important thing.

I will say, although the truck feels planted b/c of its weight. I have sat and looked at it after waxing on a Sunday and wondered what , if anything, that honeycomb resin back top would look like after three or four rolls down the side of a highway embankment. My immediate guess is not too good.

eugenemoyer8

Base
First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 f150
Your Bronco Model
Base
How much does the top weigh on a two-door

Hupp

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2015 Highlander, 1962 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
yes, if you canā€™t get heavy hooks youā€™ll want to find some weights
Awesome job on this rig! I'm going to steal this idea and rig one for my Bronco.

Curious if you remember where you got the heavy hooks. I'm having a hard time finding some that will have enough weight to keep the cables taut. Thanks!

Mike D

Outer Banks
First Name
MikefromAACO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Iā€™m trying to find an option other than Garage hoist. Admittedly, Iā€™m not the most mechanically inclined person. I was thinking about installing a manual hoist under my deck in the backyard. Anybody have any thoughts on this? This space is wide enough and tall enough, shouldnā€™t be a problem to back underneath it.

IMG_0211.jpeg

Sponsored

Mike D

Outer Banks
First Name
MikefromAACO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In case it wasnā€™t clear, this is for removing the hardtop.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco My DIY Electric Hoist for Bronco Hardtop IMG_0211

That is SO COOL.. Great job!

OP
OP
rsmag9

rsmag9

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Awesome job on this rig! I'm going to steal this idea and rig one for my Bronco.

Curious if you remember where you got the heavy hooks. I'm having a hard time finding some that will have enough weight to keep the cables taut. Thanks!
sorry I donā€™t have a source for the hooks. I would recommend line weights, really the heavier the better.

Hupp

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2015 Highlander, 1962 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I ended up rigging up something similar but I didn't have the space to run the cables above the ceiling. Instead I routed the cables through a section of 4" irrigation pipe to prevent sagging when there is not much weight attached.

Works well for the hardtop on my vette as well!

Ford Bronco My DIY Electric Hoist for Bronco Hardtop IMG_5305
Ford Bronco My DIY Electric Hoist for Bronco Hardtop IMG_4975

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Iā€™m trying to find an option other than Garage hoist. Admittedly, Iā€™m not the most mechanically inclined person. I was thinking about installing a manual hoist under my deck in the backyard. Anybody have any thoughts on this? This space is wide enough and tall enough, shouldnā€™t be a problem to back underneath it.

Ford Bronco My DIY Electric Hoist for Bronco Hardtop IMG_4975
You should be able to make this work. Although, your biggest challenge may be that you're not mechanically inclined.
Sponsored