Sponsored

Has anybody taken their broncos off road yet?

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

164C2870-0A24-4CD3-B5A7-038F75F4AB11.png

Did he break off the metal right there? Looking at old suspensions photos doesn’t appear to be much but damn that’s pretty close to the bolt.
Day 1?

tenor.gif

I mean, plan to off-road with my family and friends but I'm not looking to stress test my rig.

Count me in for some rugged mountain pass roads to get to ghost towns, dispersed camping, remote lakes, etc but I'll be taking any advanced sections very slowly... at least for the first few years.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Day 1?

Ford Bronco Has anybody taken their broncos off road yet? tenor

I mean, plan to off-road with my family and friends but I'm not looking to stress test my rig.

Count me in for some rugged mountain pass roads to get to ghost towns, dispersed camping, remote lakes, etc but I'll be taking any advanced sections very slowly... at least for the first few years.
That’s mostly what mine will see. Narrow mountain trails with tight switchbacks. Some so tight you have to back up every other switch. Usually no “line” other than the side of the mountain, so you are going over whatever you have to without any consideration for the best line. It’s either strait over or over the cliff. That’s why I’m not crazy about all the low hanging stuff on the Bronco.
And mud, plenty of mud.

Im not out to destroy it, but I’m also not going to baby it either.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just about everyone I know who has run Dana 60s or 14 bolt combo on the rocks has worn the lip of the axle off to the point that the diffs leak. This is from scraping over rocks doing less than a mile per hour in most scenarios. 3000+ lb vehicle resting all its weight on a bracket or frame rail on rock is going to eat some metal. Over time the rocks win.

I’m not trying to counter your message as much as add to it. I think it’s important for beginners to know what they can get into all-to-easily if they don’t pay attention to where they are going.

The rock rash in the pictures WILL happen if you have rocks where you wheel. The more jagged and rocky the terrain, the more this will be the result. You’re tires and wheels will look like crap too. You will most likely get body damage. Know this and plan your trips accordingly.

Ease into it. If it’s you’re first time to an off-road park, cruise around the access roads and see what others are doing. This will probably be a ton of fun for you if you’re that new to this world.

it’s ok to just watch and learn.

(In all honesty, most off-road parks that I’ve been to, the trails to get to the TRAILS are very similar to what the Austin offrodeo has to offer. Go cruise the park’s “roads” and save money).

If you come across a group of guys in some of the newer buggies (like red dot or JHF chassis on portal axles) you won’t believe you’re eyes. They’re on a whole other level. Watch how they spot, communicate, how they use they’re lockers and transfer case options, how they work the throttle. If you see someone break or get shitty on a climb, watch how they work the winches and position themselves to get their buddy off the obstacle.

Before you get in with a group of people check their egos, intelligence, and their rigs out for capability and damage if it’s more than you want to hang with ask if you can follow and watch but restrain yourself from trying to prove something to yourself. Or just find another group.
The bronco has most of the components of a legit crawler. However, belly clearance, weight, width of the body and hanging brackets can all get you in a shitty situation before you know what happened.

Trust me. The guy with the $120K red dot buggy doesn’t want the pressure of spotting your brand new bronco up a sketchy climb and flop you on your side any more than you do. Don’t get yourself in that position.

TRANSLATION: always try to find someone just above your skill level. if you see a group of guys who seem cool, they have been wheeling for some time, have full body vehicles on 35s or 37s and the paint and body are in good shape, ask them if you can tag along and do easy stuff only. They may not want the hassle of a newbie but they might welcome you in. As long as you don’t hold them up and do dumb shit, most people who wheel are really cool. Avoid the jackasses at all cost.
There are plenty of them too. And don’t be one of them.

also, ask the park staff who might be a good fit. They know the locals, know most of the rigs and often lead groups themselves.

Be safe. Be careful. Be considerate. Be humble. Pick up your trash. Pick up trash someone else left. Thank the park staff. Make friends.
Good stuff.

Hopefully, there will be enough Bronco guys to go wheel with. Even if you're with guys who've only gone out a little, go easy and just being out and or camping will be loads of fun.

The rock rash in those pics isn't normal for one trip. More of evidence of too much too fast. You have to get to know your rig first.

Remember that Bronco is basically a stage 2 with Badlands Sasquatch. If you really to go big on rocks, improve the strength of your suspension bits, and improve ride quality, you're talking stage 4 or higher and you'll pay for the pleasure.

An ego build is not a prerequisite to have fun or get started. The stock BadSquatch is more than enough to get started and enjoy making memories.

Sponsored

John Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500/ Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think people are giving sound advice on how to not destroy their new Broncos.
Lol. The smiley face was looking at me wrong. I didn’t trust it.
I hope everyone enjoys their Broncos (or any other rig) however they want. I just want people to understand there’s a lot more to it than just buying a rig and showing up.
I know a thing or two but can still stand to learn a lot as well.
The more the seasoned wheelers can share, the better for everyone in my opinion.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
When it rains, you might as well pack up and go home.
Sounds like you already know what I'm talking about then. It just almost never really dries out, unless maybe 2 weeks without any rain. Cost way too much to get out there for those with no or limited public land to wheel on, so the options are to constantly winch, or don't go slow (or as you said, waste $300+ and go back home.)

Here is Drew on 35/36's doing what he had to, to make it up that grease pit in Gore Va. (Big Dogs). Except for maybe front U-joints, classic broncos can take this kind of abuse for a long time.
Of course you mostly try to go slow first, but if you are spinning all 4, no matter how much gear you have, and how little throttle you give, what then?

Momentum, and it hurts (everything, LOL!!)

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, I found a post last night by a guy that went to Rausch Creek. Will search and update. He posted the pics if the skids plates and underbody damage.

UPDATE:
FB User Drew Peroni aka @chronic_broncitus on IG

The post is worth the read. I am adding his photos as they are kinda buried in one of the comments. I am not too surprised about any of the damage as there has been several posts about the low hanging undercarriage items. FTR, Rausch Creek is pretty gnarly.

It looks so harsh on a brand new vehicle! Fortunately we don’t have many rocks in MI. Sand, mud, snow isn’t nearly as visually harsh on the undercarriage 😏

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It looks so harsh on a brand new vehicle! Fortunately we don’t have many rocks in MI. Sand, mud, snow isn’t nearly as visually harsh on the undercarriage 😏
Snow, brutal on the motor......... but the ecoboosts should shine there.

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Has anybody taken their broncos off road yet? 1625414563073

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Clearance to hangy downy components has always been my biggest concern with the new Bronco. Diiff clearance is pretty much the same vehicle to vehicle within a given tire size. Ford has always done a good job of tucking engine, transmission and transfer case and seem to be fine on this Bronco as well. But that fuel tank, rear suspension are truly limiting. Tires, lift and skids may prove to be more important on 6g than any other Bronco.
Sponsored