Sponsored

Have we all just given up on Ford's trail maps?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have no idea, I just got an email invitation and signed up (Edit: but I've been on the EAP for a year or so). I think you're spot on with your observations though. The sauce of any good off-road app is going to include its large collection of maps and information. Trying to build a new one from the ground up is not going to give you much of the quality data that took years for other apps to build.
I think they were hoping to pull modem data from owners and whatever public domain/free use info to build the maps and that just hasn't materialized. Nothing to support this, just my theory. Didn't see how they would overcome the liability hurdle since mfgrs. are held to a different standard than 3rd parties.
Sponsored

Bronkey

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The main benefit would be that it’s a gps antenna as opposed to a phone which, in part, relies on a cellular connection.

But I haven’t used the off road apps myself so maybe I’m mistaken. I know with Google maps you can download a region ahead of time. It’s probably similar.
Yeah as long as you download the map for offline use, it works.

Paleos

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4DR Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't know about anyone else, but when the Bronco was first announced, one of the most exciting features that it was to offer was embedded trail maps along with the built in navigation system. If memory serves correctly, it was supposed to be available "shortly after production delivery took place".
Fast forward to 2023, and no one at Ford even mentions this any longer. If you call their customer service you get the telephony version of the deer in the headlights when you ask about the status. Then, they ultimately (and incorrectly) tell you that it's in the latest version of the Fordpass app which you can download.

Yeah, yeah... I know of the third party options that are out there and currently use onX Offroad maps, but it's not the same and doesn't have the same integrations as what Ford announced.

There has to be others who are as disappointed as I am in Ford that they have yet to deliver on this promised feature. Speak up!
What's most upsetting is now Jeep is offering Factory integration with onX Offroad on their next release, and will come with all the Badge of Honor trails pre-installed.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I don't know about anyone else, but when the Bronco was first announced, one of the most exciting features that it was to offer was embedded trail maps along with the built in navigation system. If memory serves correctly, it was supposed to be available "shortly after production delivery took place".
Fast forward to 2023, and no one at Ford even mentions this any longer. If you call their customer service you get the telephony version of the deer in the headlights when you ask about the status. Then, they ultimately (and incorrectly) tell you that it's in the latest version of the Fordpass app which you can download.

Yeah, yeah... I know of the third party options that are out there and currently use onX Offroad maps, but it's not the same and doesn't have the same integrations as what Ford announced.

There has to be others who are as disappointed as I am in Ford that they have yet to deliver on this promised feature. Speak up!
Was just talking about this with the wife!

The best part is where it was a $795 option during MY21 to have the subscription to this feature.

Ford did the song-and-pony-show of telling everyone it was definately happening (just not at MY21 launch) followed up by absolutely not doing anything about it.

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bump on this. @FordMotorCompany when are we getting the trail maps feature that was heavily marketed for the Bronco?

To go totally radio silent on this feature for years after making a huge deal about it before and during launch feels incredibly dishonest at worst, and irresponsible at best.
Sponsored