Sponsored

Have we all just given up on Ford's trail maps?

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know about anyone else, but when the Bronco was first announced, one of the most exciting features that it was to offer was embedded trail maps along with the built in navigation system. If memory serves correctly, it was supposed to be available "shortly after production delivery took place".
Fast forward to 2023, and no one at Ford even mentions this any longer. If you call their customer service you get the telephony version of the deer in the headlights when you ask about the status. Then, they ultimately (and incorrectly) tell you that it's in the latest version of the Fordpass app which you can download.

Yeah, yeah... I know of the third party options that are out there and currently use onX Offroad maps, but it's not the same and doesn't have the same integrations as what Ford announced.

There has to be others who are as disappointed as I am in Ford that they have yet to deliver on this promised feature. Speak up!
Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

it's never coming, Gaia and Google Maps are better anyways.

What's amusing about it though, is that this is one feature that is absolutely not constrained by any supply chain. This is the labor of making it work as software, and based on the quality of effort that's been thrown at FordPass, it's clear that this isn't in anyone's Jira sprints.

Pdshepherd

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None. Wife's Kia is my part time wheels
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Same here. I had posted for a while trying to keep up with any news or rumors but I’ve given up. Hell they can’t even get the bronco software itself to update consistently. Another example of the current state of affairs. Failure is accepted if not celebrated. And the only passion a post like this will illicit is the internet trolls who will go full contrarian attacking grammar or explaining how they don’t “owe” you anything.

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

it's never coming, Gaia and Google Maps are better anyways.

What's amusing about it though, is that this is one feature that is absolutely not constrained by any supply chain. This is the labor of making it work as software, and based on the quality of effort that's been thrown at FordPass, it's clear that this isn't in anyone's Jira sprints.
Indeed, the antonym of Agile from Word Hippo is: Clumsy, apathetic, depressed, dispirited, down, dull, ignorant, inactive, lazy, lethargic, lifeless, rigid, slow, sluggish, stiff, stupid, brittle.
Pretty much sums up Ford SW engineering.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMO opinion it's all about the dollars and Ford can't raise it's stock price much compared to it's competitors. As a former GM IT employee we had groups that worked with software game companies to make sure our products were represented the way some executive thought they should be, but they also used those same game companies to design infotainment screens and more importantly the graphics, movements/transitions and videos. Take a look at the screens in the Escalade, Lyric and Hummer. IMO Ford won't allow themselves to spend the money to work with the different trail companies to give us what they promised us.

Sponsored

Bronkey

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I beta tested it recently. Its garbage. You’re better off using something like TrailsOffroad.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty sure Ford said fuck it. We can’t build them fast enough. People are paying 20k over. Just keep taking options away until we see a sales decrease.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Big disappointment from me.

Can't blame COVID, or supply restrictions. Ford just doesn't give a shit.

Bronkey

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They do it under the early access program. I can't discuss the details (there's a confidentiality agreement), but if they release anything like what I saw, it's the bare minimum, barely functional quality we're all used to from Ford. There are some great offroad apps already that are much better, and worth a few bucks.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I gave up and am starting to use oNX.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They do it under the early access program. I can't discuss the details (there's a confidentiality agreement), but if they release anything like what I saw, it's the bare minimum, barely functional quality we're all used to from Ford. There are some great offroad apps already that are much better, and worth a few bucks.
How did you get selected? Different situation but I've complained to my reps for years about programs Ford comes out with that have involved dealers in their pilot programs. I truly believe they cherry pick dealers they know will validate the program goals because they already know how the dealer will perform based on all of the reporting Ford gets from the dealer. Some of the pilots play into things we are strong in and feel participation would be beneficial to Ford. We never get consulted and just end up having to deal with whatever crappy programs they force on us. This is why any time they say we are partners, I growl and cuss.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, just one of those things I think Ford does that makes no sense. If they want a subscription off-road service, they should've just partnered with an existing provider and dressed up a new app with their branding. It's either they don't have the data to do this, engineers, can't capitalize the data they're getting off the users or decided there is too much liability if someone gets hurt following "Ford's" trails. I can hear it now, "why aren't my broken axles covered? I followed the trails Ford said I could go on so they should know my vehicle isn't able to do it."

Bronkey

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How did you get selected? Different situation but I've complained to my reps for years about programs Ford comes out with that have involved dealers in their pilot programs. I truly believe they cherry pick dealers they know will validate the program goals because they already know how the dealer will perform based on all of the reporting Ford gets from the dealer. Some of the pilots play into things we are strong in and feel participation would be beneficial to Ford. We never get consulted and just end up having to deal with whatever crappy programs they force on us. This is why any time they say we are partners, I growl and cuss.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, just one of those things I think Ford does that makes no sense. If they want a subscription off-road service, they should've just partnered with an existing provider and dressed up a new app with their branding. It's either they don't have the data to do this, engineers, can't capitalize the data they're getting off the users or decided there is too much liability if someone gets hurt following "Ford's" trails. I can hear it now, "why aren't my broken axles covered? I followed the trails Ford said I could go on so they should know my vehicle isn't able to do it."
I have no idea, I just got an email invitation and signed up (Edit: but I've been on the EAP for a year or so). I think you're spot on with your observations though. The sauce of any good off-road app is going to include its large collection of maps and information. Trying to build a new one from the ground up is not going to give you much of the quality data that took years for other apps to build.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The main benefit would be that it’s a gps antenna as opposed to a phone which, in part, relies on a cellular connection.

But I haven’t used the off road apps myself so maybe I’m mistaken. I know with Google maps you can download a region ahead of time. It’s probably similar.
Sponsored