Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All I know is my plan is to pay off the Mortgage, find a house somewhere else (Land and no neighbors), and rent it out.

Fortunately, I don't have too much experience with HOA and my neighbors are all cool, especially with my modded truck, but it's only a matter of time before something major happens.

ALSO, someone in my neighborhood is speeding and it ain't me, as they mention car instead of a truck and I'm too easy to ID if it were the case

Figment

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got multiple notifications of a violation of improper planters in our backyard. (We have a decorative metal fence, so they can see in.) We sent pictures showing we have no planters at all in our backyard, they continued to send violation notices.

I knew the HOA was after a house a few doors down with an address one digit off from ours with the “offending” planters. But I didn’t want to send the gestapo after the neighbors.

They eventually got it right and the poor neighbors had to take their plants out of the custom built planters and put them directly in the ground.

“All planters more than 24 inches high must be clad in stone that matches the colors of the house.” They had nicely made wood planters that matched the side panels of their fence.

Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Our state does not give HOA that much power. There are states that HOA can put a lien that is a super lien that can wipe out a mortgage or owner if foreclosed on. In my state an unpaid fine or dues can have a lien put on the home but it just sits there until time of sale or someone pays it.

Our indentures are not super strict either. We generally lien on city code as they have the enforcement power.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The one and only HOA I've ever been subject to was my Dad's house. Can't imagine why I'd submit to anyone else's.
Been there, everything, was cleaned atleast weekly, polished the concrete on the driveway, clean the air vents in the floors, wipe down the door jambs, and dont you dare put the little fork in the big fork slot! My defiance drove me into living in vans and tents for most of my 20s lol!

MHand52

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT/CS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

sometimes i think about moving to a neighbor hood with hoa just to do stuff in the grey area.
It's all fun and games until they put a lien on your house... Which they can do. My next door neighbor was the first house on the block, been living there since the beginning, he had a lien put on his house for parking on the street. A $50 fine he refused to pay quickly turned into $3,000 (and going up) until either they paid the fine or the fine out-valued the house, which they would then own.

Sponsored

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am on my HOA board and we happen to be an awesome board. We took over from our builder who was in charge of the HOA and they sucked so could go anywhere but up.

But honestly most of the time people that complain about HOA just feel like they should not have to follow the rules they agreed to when they signed the dotted line. So kinda weird when people complain when you literally know what you signed up for... But hey I could just be an awesome board member that is very libertarian in our decision-making.

Last edited:

NoName57

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach1, Subaru Outback, Victory Octane
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I definitely have a few, bought my first home 4 years ago and the HOA has been a drag ever since.

After 2 months being moved in, our area got hit with a hail storm that destroyed my house, siding, roof, gutters, garage door, everything exterior had to get replaced. Since we got a new garage door, we wanted to paint it something that looked better than the same olive green as the siding of the house and landed on a nice chocolate color to match the shutters, contrasting nicely with the green and white trim. Got the idea from another house we saw in the neighborhood. 2 months after a freshly painted garage door, we got a notice that our door was in violation, had to either be white or matching the siding color. We appealed, went to the board meetings, citing that we observed at least 3 other homes with the same scheme and arguing the verbiage in the covenants, however they were "grandfathered in" and therefor weren't in violation whereas we were. TLDR: I had to repaint my garage door white (which is what it came shipped as)....

Next, parking... I have had 2 vehicles since I moved in, RN is my Mustang and lifted QX4 on 32s. Stang and GF's sportage go in the garage, beater in the driveway. We are not allowed to park on the street w/o a permit, which I could obtain, but the street mailbox is in front of my house and I dont want to block the box for the mailman. I parked the QX4 with a tire off the driveway in the rocks so I can sneak my mustang out of the garage. Got a notice that you must park on the concrete, and that disabled vehicles are not allowed to be visible on the premises. Mind you, I daily the Q'y, and I park it back in that exact same spot every day. Not allowed. TLDR: I look like an idiot backing the mustang into my garage.

That and anything in between. I get notices every month to 3 months about them micromanaging the upkeep on my property, this month it's a small weed patch, month before it was my trash can being visible on the side of my house, month before it was weeds (really are aspen seedlings) in the front yard. I eventually take care of it all, but on my own time as I can, but I get harassed almost monthly for something between the months of May and September. Takes all the freedom away from being a home owner.

No offence to anyone on the HOA boards, best way to fight the HOA is from inside, and I understand that. But you shouldnt have to to live your life with constant harassment from people who do nothing beneficial in return (especially to harass the people that do upkeep when they have time). BTW, my HOA is cheap, but we literally get nothing back from our dues. It's communism we have to pay for. Had no choice in housing location due to the market in my area, so I'm hosed until I can move.
I see you are in Colorado Springs. I think I remember that hail storm. I had sold my house and left just before it due to getting orders from the military. I remember seeing pictures from friends as to how bad it destroyed cars and siding. The area I lived in did not have HOA so I never had to worry about that and neither does the area I live in now in Las Vegas. I just don't believe in paying someone money to tell me what to do lol.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
HOAs are everywhere anymore so i’m not sure how anyone avoids them.

Mine leaves me alone for the most part, I kind of do whatever I want and they’ve never said anything in 2 years. I got a notice once about my trash can being visible which I found interesting.

Sister fought with her HOA about a work van, she ended up owing 20K. Best thing to do is give them their money and tell them to F off. They are the single worst invention ever.