indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have MGV seats and the headrest is too far forward. It uncomfortably pushes on my head. Leaning the seat back further creates other problems. Does anyone have a good solution other than flipping the headrest around? Iā€™ve done that, but thatā€™s a little too far away from my head to be a good restraint in the event of a collision.
Yes that's a problem on other vehicles as well. My wife got in a new Wrangler, and was complaining about the headrest.

On some cars, the headrests use to be adjustable, forward and backward. But now many have the "I sit at a computer terminal all day" hunched forward style.

Must be part of some newer regulation. Some people are resorting to bending the posts of the headrest, so they don't have to sit with head hunched forward.

Video on bending headrest posts:

Lots of complaints and videos about the situation actually, here is another:

Last edited:

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lean your seat to the rear a notch or two... that helps....

ArrickSports

Black Diamond
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chevy HHR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is often a huge pet peeve of mine with vehicles but Iā€™ve test driven 3 times and donā€™t remember it feeling uncomfortable in the Bronco. Hoping thatā€™s still the case when I get mine. I was always told itā€™s because itā€™s a head restraint - not a headrest. If itā€™s not comfortable, itā€™s a poor design.
You are correct, it is a head restraint and not a head rest. It is set at some angle (I don't remember what it is anymore) so that in a rear impact collision, the chances of whiplash are minimized. In all honesty, that is why they are uncomfortable most of the time.

Sponsored

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It seems that the part I would like to bend may be up inside the headrest.
Have any of you taken the headrest, excuse me, head restraint upholstery off and put it back on?

I can take apart a bowling ball but putting stuff back together is another story.
If it can be taken apart and bent even 3/4 inch back it would be worth it.

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man this sucksā€¦ im
Always in rental cars, and if they have the head restraint that is fixed in a forward position it drives me nuts after 5 mins. I usually end up throwing them in the back in a fit of rage. I hope to god that doesnā€™t happen in the Bronco. Will be a large market for the leather adjustable ones. Wonder if theyā€™re standard for diameter and spacingā€¦ could change for a wrecked explorer or Lincoln.?

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Man this sucksā€¦ im
Always in rental cars, and if they have the head restraint that is fixed in a forward position it drives me nuts after 5 mins. I usually end up throwing them in the back in a fit of rage. I hope to god that doesnā€™t happen in the Bronco. Will be a large market for the leather adjustable ones. Wonder if theyā€™re standard for diameter and spacingā€¦ could change for a wrecked explorer or Lincoln.?
Okay, I did some experimenting!

Like the OP, we have a BD with MGV seats, and we were shocked to find the head rests ā€œrestraintsā€ were not adjustable. After reading this thread, I thought Iā€™d try somethingā€¦

I have a 2017 F150 XL with the STX package. The seats are unique to that package, so I donā€™t know if the head rests are different than other F150 XLā€™s, but my head rests are adjustable, and they fit the Bronco! They are definitely (aka ā€œdefiantlyā€ on B6G) more upright than the Bronco head rests in the rear position, but if you want them further forward, they can do that, too.

I donā€™t know how much my head rests would cost from Ford, but I would bet theyā€™re cheaper than Bronco leather! Itā€™s possible you could find some cheap vinyl ones from a regular F150 XL, but I canā€™t guarantee theyā€™re adjustable or upright. But for sure, there are other Ford headrests out there that can work. Maybe start exploring the salvage yards!

B3CAD388-7919-40B4-A665-817039734D24.jpeg

C5B8C8B1-1010-4525-B1FF-0DBCC19E3BF5.jpeg

11CF86D5-1F0E-4ED1-AAFB-4C8ADC50A28A.jpeg

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay, I did some experimenting!

Like the OP, we have a BD with MGV seats, and we were shocked to find the head rests ā€œrestraintsā€ were not adjustable. After reading this thread, I thought Iā€™d try somethingā€¦

I have a 2017 F150 XL with the STX package. The seats are unique to that package, so I donā€™t know if the head rests are different than other F150 XLā€™s, but my head rests are adjustable, and they fit the Bronco! They are definitely (aka ā€œdefiantlyā€ on B6G) more upright than the Bronco head rests in the rear position, but if you want them further forward, they can do that, too.

I donā€™t know how much my head rests would cost from Ford, but I would bet theyā€™re cheaper than Bronco leather! Itā€™s possible you could find some cheap vinyl ones from a regular F150 XL, but I canā€™t guarantee theyā€™re adjustable or upright. But for sure, there are other Ford headrests out there that can work. Maybe start exploring the salvage yards!

Ford Bronco Headrest is too far forward 11CF86D5-1F0E-4ED1-AAFB-4C8ADC50A28A

Nicely done, let the salvage yard hunting begin!

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe the shape of oneā€™s head is the true culprit. Never thought twice about the head rests in my rig.

Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also discovered that the sun visors are telescopic which really helps when sun is at your side!!
Maybe they help in a 4-door, but in a 2-door they still leave ~25% of the window uncovered which results in me being blinded by the sun for most of my commute. ā˜€

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe the shape of oneā€™s head is the true culprit. Never thought twice about the head rests in my rig.
They donā€™t bother me too much in the Bronco, but my wife gets really annoyed with them. She generally wears her hair in a ponytail, so she always feels the headrest. She ends up reclining the seat back to compensate, so whenever I climb in to drive, I feel like Iā€™m sitting in a chaise lounge! She couldnā€™t believe how much more comfortable she was with the F150 head rest.

Chippewa-Pin

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Santa Fe, Tucson, Z4, T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone talked to their dealer at delivery to see if there's anything they can do?

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
As others have mentioned I flipped mine around the first week. Cheap and easy fix. I had since forgotten that it was a problem. I did have a service guy fix them for me once, and I had to flip them backwards again.
Sponsored