Sponsored

Help a dummy - offset/backspace for Base Bronco with 2" lift?

cyoungk

Big Bend
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey folks,

Looking to purchase the ICON Alloys Rebound wheel which they offer in two options for 17":

- 0 offset / 4.75 backspace
- 25 offset / 5.75 backspace

For added context, I have a non-sas Big Bend, crash bars already removed and looking to put on 315/70/17 BF Goodrich AT's.

I'm getting mixed answers from the shop I'm speaking with - one is telling me 0offset won't work, the other is telling me 0 will work...

Any advice here?? Much appreciated.
Sponsored

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The stock wheels on a Big Bend have a +55 offset.

If you put a 0mm offset wheel on your Bronco, the tire will stick out just over 2"s more than they do now.

Installing a 25mm offset wheel, your tires will stick out just over 1" more than they do now.

Both will work.

In this video, we install a set of TeraFlex Nomad wheels with a 0mm offset on my Base Bronco:

With the 0mm offset and the 35" Patagonia X/T tires, it is definitely showing some poke.

Ford Bronco Help a dummy - offset/backspace for Base Bronco with 2" lift? Poke-35s-Bronco

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyoungk

cyoungk

Big Bend
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The stock wheels on a Big Bend have a +55 offset.

If you put a 0mm offset wheel on your Bronco, the tire will stick out just over 2"s more than they do now.

Installing a 25mm offset wheel, your tires will stick out just over 1" more than they do now.
Got it. Is there any risk of the tire rubbing in either scenario?

Tech Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do you have a lift?

We have a 3/4" spacer in the front and a 1/4" spacer in the rear and I can get the fronts to rub the flares at full compression. No rubbing steering L to R.

Ford Bronco Help a dummy - offset/backspace for Base Bronco with 2" lift? Bottoming-out

OP
OP
cyoungk

cyoungk

Big Bend
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Do you have a lift?

We have a 3/4" spacer in the front and a 1/4" spacer in the rear and I can get the fronts to rub the flares at full compression. No rubbing steering L to R.

Ford Bronco Help a dummy - offset/backspace for Base Bronco with 2" lift? Bottoming-out
Not yet but putting 2" space in both front and back.

So the shop I was talking to here was mentioned that backspace matters more than offset in this case... they said I'd want at least backspace to be 5+... any idea why they would suggest that? Is it just the amount that the tire would stick out?

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The OE Sasquatch wheel, like in the pic below, has a +30mm offset, so that 25mm Icon Rebound will have 5mm more poke than a Sasquatch.

Ford Bronco Help a dummy - offset/backspace for Base Bronco with 2" lift? DebSquatch-EBur

I would've rather gone with a 25mm offset, but TeraFlex only had the Nomads in a 0mm offset.

For the Icon Rebound wheels, have you seen our video on the Rebound PROs?

Last edited:

Tech Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So the shop I was talking to here was mentioned that backspace matters more than offset in this case... they said I'd want at least backspace to be 5+... any idea why they would suggest that? Is it just the amount that the tire would stick out?
Funny they would say that....Backspacing and offset are just different ways to say the exact same thing. Here is a conversion chart:

Ford Bronco Help a dummy - offset/backspace for Base Bronco with 2" lift? Backspacing-to-Offset

Backspace is measured from the back of the wheel, at the wheel mounting face to the outside edge of the wheel.

Offset is measured from the centerline of the wheel to the wheel mounting face.
  • If the wheel mounting face is out past the centerline, closer to the front side of the wheel, you have a positive offset.
  • If the wheel mounting face is closer to the backside of the wheel, you have a negative offset.

Ford Bronco Help a dummy - offset/backspace for Base Bronco with 2" lift? offset-backspace-diagram

OP
OP
cyoungk

cyoungk

Big Bend
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Funny they would say that....Backspacing and offset are just different ways to say the exact same thing. Here is a conversion chart:

Ford Bronco Help a dummy - offset/backspace for Base Bronco with 2" lift? offset-backspace-diagram

Backspace is measured from the back of the wheel, at the wheel mounting face to the outside edge of the wheel.

• If the wheel mounting face is out past the centerline, closer to the front side of the wheel, you have a positive offset.
  • If the wheel mounting face is closer to the backside of the wheel, you have a negative offset.

Ah, thanks so much for your help.
Going to go with the 25mm offset Rebounds.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
cyoungk

cyoungk

Big Bend
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Hey Tim, sorry one more question, looks like ICON is out of stock on the 25mm offsets... would there be any downside to the 0 offset in terms of it adding extra strain on the axle at all? Or is it more of an aesthetic thing... the 1" different isn't so much of a worry, jus want to make sure its not going to affect the performance of car on long run.

I dont do any heavy rock crawling, mostly just some light trail work and I do drive this as a daily driver on highways.

Tech Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Run the 0mm offset if you want, it's what I run on my Bronco.

Daily driven and wheeled pretty hard, so far no issues.
Sponsored