First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
This past Sunday(8/20), I visited my dad in West Central Minnesota at the Forest City Stockade, which was having its annual Rendevue. The Appleton Area Recreational Area was just an hour West, so I headed there after lunch and visited with my dad and brother.

I've noticed that besides the Iron Range offroad park, none have well-documented entrances on maps, nor great signage on the roads to find them. I entered where the ATVs and motorcycles start because that's the one I could find. If I didn't have such bad allergies, I would have better spent time mapping out the entrances with pins on Google Maps. Then, see if I could update them on the map. (I can get stuff added to Waze.)

Overall, I enjoyed the Appleton location. It's over 20 miles of trails for ATVs, Motorcycles, and offroad vehicles like jeeps and Broncos. They have several "easy" trails that beginners or even an AWD vehicle with 4 or 5" of clearance might handle. I barely had time to scratch the surface of the place due to getting high-centered in one place and spending too much time messing around and getting loose.

Ford Bronco High Centered @ Appleton Area Recreational Park  (Minnesota) kilOu5cl

They have several obstacles to try, and while airing down, I checked out a log climb to try. I thought I could make it. If someone was there to spot me, maybe I could. But due to my 2 door wheelbase, I had both front and rear trying to get up the ladder, and I couldn't make it. After I backed down, I saw what was in my way: the forward mounts for the rear suspension hung down a bit. They took out some chunks from some of the wood. Of course, I had three motorcycles stop up the hill to watch me fail in my big bad Bronco.

Ford Bronco High Centered @ Appleton Area Recreational Park  (Minnesota) SKQLb7Bl

Ford Bronco High Centered @ Appleton Area Recreational Park  (Minnesota) F2WQwagl

Ford Bronco High Centered @ Appleton Area Recreational Park  (Minnesota) wcKJjtxl

Ford Bronco High Centered @ Appleton Area Recreational Park  (Minnesota) NyXhhlUl

If I weren't just sneezing and sniffling all the time, I would have looked around for some rocks and maybe stacked some to get me over it. But I moved along. Lots of elevation changes at this park, some steep hills to go up and down, good mud here and there, with a large sandy area and a large muddy area. Everything you might want.

I spied some culverts to try and get them up with no problem, but trying to go down the other side, I miscalculated the space and ended up high-centered on the top. I also tried to be as smooth as possible, but I still bounced off the RCI steel skidplate, bending it a little.

Ford Bronco High Centered @ Appleton Area Recreational Park  (Minnesota) ceHcFILl

Ford Bronco High Centered @ Appleton Area Recreational Park  (Minnesota) drj1pD7l

Ford Bronco High Centered @ Appleton Area Recreational Park  (Minnesota) 9N0To4kl

Ford Bronco High Centered @ Appleton Area Recreational Park  (Minnesota) dt9ylg8l

The suspension was at full droop front and rear and just not getting any traction. Maybe 37's would solve this problem?

I have a recovery strap, soft shackles, and a cable come-a-long. But the come-a-long, I couldn't get the cable to unspool and was starting to be uncertain what I would do.
I knew some motorcycles were running around, which I could hear, but I hadn't seen any jeeps or other 4x4s. But thankfully, as I was pondering my silly fate, I spotted a Side By Side heading down a trail, so I ran and waved them down. A father and son at that park for the first time backed up. I put my strap on it, and they helped give it a little tug, and that's all it needed. (Two honks when I'm ready, one when they can stop)

I burned a lot of time dealing with that, so I drove around a little more, working my way back to where I came in to fill my tires (I aired down to 13-15psi) and head home. I did play in the mud a little, so the wheels and all are pretty dirty. I'll have to pull the wheels and skid plates off before winter to clean everything with a scrub brush.

Total travel - 365 miles, 20.5MPG, 7 hours 58 minutes runtime for the Bronco.

What did I learn?

#1 When you have allergies, driving a few hundred miles with no roof on a vehicle isn't a good idea.
#2 I really gotta go out with another vehicle. I just am too gunshy to try things when I'm on my own. There was a black-marked trail that I wanted to try, but I couldn't try it by myself.
#3 Appleton is worth another visit. It's 3 hours west for me, but it's a nice spot.

Ford Bronco High Centered @ Appleton Area Recreational Park  (Minnesota) DblkplLl

I recorded some of my journey and shared it here. I expect getting out 3 more times this summer/fall. Maybe Appleton when the leaves change.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Basesquatch? Those culverts are going to get you and I wouldn't go to 37s just to get over them.

As for the other uphill section I would have tried going up with a little angle on the logs and see if that would have lifted you up and over.

OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks like you found most of the low hanging bits that create a lot of frustration when crawling.
100% most of the frustration was my allergies on that trip. I think I could have only had one issue if I had just tried harder to make sure I had someone with me. Having someone to help guide you on things can make a massive difference in what you can accomplish.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Basesquatch? Those culverts are going to get you and I wouldn't go to 37s just to get over them.

As for the other uphill section I would have tried going up with a little angle on the logs and see if that would have lifted you up and over.
I did take an angle. The camera wasn't in a good spot. The issue with the angle I took is it put the rear tires into an area where the ground is dug out from others taking that same line. I needed to shift my same angle over about 2", but that would have made the lower angle a little tougher.
My first attempt wasn't on the video as I thought it would just be a walk-up. Then when I backed up and could take a close look, I could see my rear tires were in a bad spot there due to the ground being worn away. When I recorded it I made an adjustment but it wasn't enough.

If someone was there to hep guide me, they would have noticed that and could have redirected me. 2 or 3 more tries I would have got it, but my allergies were not happy so my patience was low.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did take an angle. The camera wasn't in a good spot. The issue with the angle I took is it put the rear tires into an area where the ground is dug out from others taking that same line. I needed to shift my same angle over about 2", but that would have made the lower angle a little tougher.
My first attempt wasn't on the video as I thought it would just be a walk-up. Then when I backed up and could take a close look, I could see my rear tires were in a bad spot there due to the ground being worn away. When I recorded it I made an adjustment but it wasn't enough.

If someone was there to hep guide me, they would have noticed that and could have redirected me. 2 or 3 more tries I would have got it, but my allergies were not happy so my patience was low.
Are you not able to take allergy meds?

A good spotter can get you out of a mess.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This past Sunday(8/20), I visited my dad in West Central Minnesota at the Forest City Stockade, which was having its annual Rendevue. The Appleton Area Recreational Area was just an hour West, so I headed there after lunch and visited with my dad and brother.

I've noticed that besides the Iron Range offroad park, none have well-documented entrances on maps, nor great signage on the roads to find them. I entered where the ATVs and motorcycles start because that's the one I could find. If I didn't have such bad allergies, I would have better spent time mapping out the entrances with pins on Google Maps. Then, see if I could update them on the map. (I can get stuff added to Waze.)

Overall, I enjoyed the Appleton location. It's over 20 miles of trails for ATVs, Motorcycles, and offroad vehicles like jeeps and Broncos. They have several "easy" trails that beginners or even an AWD vehicle with 4 or 5" of clearance might handle. I barely had time to scratch the surface of the place due to getting high-centered in one place and spending too much time messing around and getting loose.

Ford Bronco High Centered @ Appleton Area Recreational Park  (Minnesota) DblkplLl

They have several obstacles to try, and while airing down, I checked out a log climb to try. I thought I could make it. If someone was there to spot me, maybe I could. But due to my 2 door wheelbase, I had both front and rear trying to get up the ladder, and I couldn't make it. After I backed down, I saw what was in my way: the forward mounts for the rear suspension hung down a bit. They took out some chunks from some of the wood. Of course, I had three motorcycles stop up the hill to watch me fail in my big bad Bronco.

If I weren't just sneezing and sniffling all the time, I would have looked around for some rocks and maybe stacked some to get me over it. But I moved along. Lots of elevation changes at this park, some steep hills to go up and down, good mud here and there, with a large sandy area and a large muddy area. Everything you might want.

I spied some culverts to try and get them up with no problem, but trying to go down the other side, I miscalculated the space and ended up high-centered on the top. I also tried to be as smooth as possible, but I still bounced off the RCI steel skidplate, bending it a little.

The suspension was at full droop front and rear and just not getting any traction. Maybe 37's would solve this problem?

I have a recovery strap, soft shackles, and a cable come-a-long. But the come-a-long, I couldn't get the cable to unspool and was starting to be uncertain what I would do.
I knew some motorcycles were running around, which I could hear, but I hadn't seen any jeeps or other 4x4s. But thankfully, as I was pondering my silly fate, I spotted a Side By Side heading down a trail, so I ran and waved them down. A father and son at that park for the first time backed up. I put my strap on it, and they helped give it a little tug, and that's all it needed. (Two honks when I'm ready, one when they can stop)

I burned a lot of time dealing with that, so I drove around a little more, working my way back to where I came in to fill my tires (I aired down to 13-15psi) and head home. I did play in the mud a little, so the wheels and all are pretty dirty. I'll have to pull the wheels and skid plates off before winter to clean everything with a scrub brush.

Total travel - 365 miles, 20.5MPG, 7 hours 58 minutes runtime for the Bronco.

What did I learn?

#1 When you have allergies, driving a few hundred miles with no roof on a vehicle isn't a good idea.
#2 I really gotta go out with another vehicle. I just am too gunshy to try things when I'm on my own. There was a black-marked trail that I wanted to try, but I couldn't try it by myself.
#3 Appleton is worth another visit. It's 3 hours west for me, but it's a nice spot.

I recorded some of my journey and shared it here. I expect getting out 3 more times this summer/fall. Maybe Appleton when the leaves change.

Love the Allergies & open top learning. Maybe keep a bottle of antihistamine in the car! Not a wasted trip . . . Any first time at a new wilderness is a slow, careful exploration. And you were wise enough to not do some trails, and take your time. I had the same experience as a boater. The first time in new inlets and coves, or shoals, were always slow and careful. No point in ruining a prop or hitting a rock. A year later, I'm zipping right by.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are those culvert's South of the highway? Been there many times with ATV's just can't recall.

OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are those culvert's South of the highway? Been there many times with ATV's just can't recall.
Using this MAP
https://gdrs.dnr.state.mn.us/gdrs/a...nr/mndnr_geopdf_download/OHV/Appleton GEO.pdf

They are the Stars I believe at 524-182 and 521-179. Just north of the lake midway with a body of water noted. That's a wet muddy area, and the culverts are just west as you enter the area.
I came to the entrance road and then entered on the Goat Trail, and then worked my way up to the parking on the west side of the area. I never got south of 59. And I didn't get all over that purple area in the middle. That was kinda cool with lots of elevation changes depending on which way you wanted to go, and some more steep than others.

Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was going to ask how you got high centered in MN, but it turns out someone had to build a hill for that to happen 🤣

Disclaimer: I have a bunch of family in Moorehead and I love Minnesota other than the bugs and humidity. I even love the winters (since I'm only there for a week or so at a time).

OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are you not able to take allergy meds?

A good spotter can get you out of a mess.
Yeah, I take OTC, pill and nasal spray. Something was going on with the air quality that Friday Saturday and Sunday because it was just wiping me out.

I have at least one grandson who told me he is saving for a computer. So I think I might be able to train a spotter for the last few outings I have if I slip him a little cash. I still really want to get some regular folks going out. It's been tough in Minnesota to get new Bronco owners together for stuff. Partly because the state is so big. Partly because the places are far from the most populated areas. And partly because people are so busy in the summer, everyone racing to have graduations, birthdays, just parties before winter comes.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Using this MAP
https://gdrs.dnr.state.mn.us/gdrs/a...nr/mndnr_geopdf_download/OHV/Appleton GEO.pdf

They are the Stars I believe at 524-182 and 521-179. Just north of the lake midway with a body of water noted. That's a wet muddy area, and the culverts are just west as you enter the area.
I came to the entrance road and then entered on the Goat Trail, and then worked my way up to the parking on the west side of the area. I never got south of 59. And I didn't get all over that purple area in the middle. That was kinda cool with lots of elevation changes depending on which way you wanted to go, and some more steep than others.
Now I remember them, some people don't realize that there's a ORV only South of 59, although last time I went most of that was flooded (springtime). They have some obstacles on high ground always. Funny place, we can go and have the entire place to ourselves at times or there can be 100 atvs/utv/bike there.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was going to ask how you got high centered in MN, but it turns out someone had to build a hill for that to happen 🤣

Disclaimer: I have a bunch of family in Moorehead and I love Minnesota other than the bugs and humidity. I even love the winters (since I'm only there for a week or so at a time).
You need to head to Northeast MN, the largest wilderness area East of the Mississippi is there.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You need to head to Northeast MN, the largest wilderness area East of the Mississippi is there.
Sweet. I've pretty much only been in the NW part of the state, which is pancake flat from the glaciers. I'm jealous of you for the fishing! It's all I do when I get up there outside of hang with family and drink beer, and those activities usually overlap.
Sponsored