Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This past Sunday my wife and I headed up to run Holcomb Creek Trail with a few of our buddies from So Cal Broncos and a couple of my co-workers from ICON. In addition to just having a fun day on the trails, my wife and I were continuing the benchmarking series on your YouTube channel, for testing the off-road performance limits of the Cheapest Bronco You Can Buy™ (2-door Base non-Squatch, 2.3L 7-speed manual, $28,500 MSRP). Each time we've stepped it up a bit higher on the difficulty level, and with Holcomb Creek I think we've found the limit of what I'm comfortable tackling with it, without further modifications. For those who would like to skip right to the video here it is. But after that I go much further in-depth about what's going on, for anyone who's interested.

The summary is that the stripper Bronco is surprisingly capable, once you've solved the main issue they have when they're factory-fresh, which is the dismal ground clearance afforded by the stock pizza cutter tires. The lower shock mounts hang down so far below the rear axle, and the frame mount for the lower control arms robs you of a lot of breakover clearance. So adding a lift and some 35's solves that issue. So technically it's no longer the Cheapest Bronco You Can Buy™, but if you're going to be venturing off-road at all you should probably at least upgrade the tires anyhow. At any rate, just getting the thing a little higher off the ground makes doing rocky trails like these a possibility.

The other big elephant in the room is the lack of lockers. Anyone who's watched our videos so far knows that we treat that as a challenge rather than a hindrance. It's actually pretty fun, in my opinion, trying to "solve the puzzle", so to speak, of getting the Bronco through an obstacle even with that handicap. You have to choose your lines differently than someone with lockers, trying to keep both tires planted as much as possible, even if that puts the rig off-camber.

One of the neat things about the non-locked differentials though, is that the traction control still seems to work on occasion. As you'll see in the video, sometimes if you just stay in it, keep the hammer down, the computer will eventually figure out that the un-gripped tire is spinning and apply a bit of brake to it, which helps to transfer power to the other wheel. You can see that happening in several instances in the video.

Also of interest to some is the 7-speed manual transmission, and how it handles working through rock gardens like these. I'll admit I prefer an auto. I find them much easier to control, especially on slippery rocks like these where, without much traction and lack of lockers, you're often using momentum more than crawling. So it gets a bit herky-jerky at times. I suppose to some it probably looks like a continuous wreck as I crash it through those rocks. It does look that way but most of that was intentional, and for the most part it usually went where I was trying to get it to go. But I will say this, if you get the manual transmission and want to do this type of wheeling, get the pre-paid maintenance plan through your Ford dealer, like I did. It comes with clutch replacements any time they're needed, not just at certain intervals.

The 2.3L engine has been both praised and panned in these pages. But I continue to be impressed with it, and I have other 4X4's with fire-breathing V8's. It has plenty of power, even to turn those 35's. It can pull the weight of the Bronco up any grade it can get enough traction on. But the power doesn't come right off-idle. It's a bit higher in the RPM band. Sometimes you'll see in the video as I wind it up a bit before dropping the hammer. Which also contributes a bit to the jerky-ness of working through rocks like these. But the power is there, and I'm getting better at learning how to use it. By the way, the Crawl gear of the 7-speed works well in concert with the 2.3L, as it lets you get up into that power band at lower speeds.

You might have seen in our other videos that we've tackled a few different types of terrain so far. Holcomb Creek is different that any of the other trails we've tested it on so far, in that the rocks are round and slippery (they were a lot more jagged and grippy on Gold Mountain). Plus it's winter time and there's ice in the water pools between them. So traction, or lack of it, really is the determining factor on a trail like this. I probably should have aired down further than I did. I only went down to 18 PSI. With the bead retention properties of the ICON Rebound Pros I could have safely gone way lower than that. But I was thinking that I needed the ground clearance more than I needed the increased contact patch, in those boulder fields.

As you'll see in the video we did eventually reach a hard limit. I did have to pull some cable near the end of the toughest rock garden. I was pleased with how far I was able to get before I had to hook up though. But I think we've found the limits of wheeling without lockers. I still encourage anyone with one of these non-Squatch Broncos, who feels confident in their driving, to take it out and see what it can do. Just be careful, use your best judgement, and wheel with friends so you can get some assistance if needed. You should NOT attempt a trail like this alone.

Here are a few pics but they're not the best since we were usually filming video during the best parts rather than still shots.

Ford Bronco Rock Crawling a 2-Door Base w/ No Lockers, Manual Transmission -- @ Holcomb Creek Trail in Southern California IMG_5213.JPEG

Ford Bronco Rock Crawling a 2-Door Base w/ No Lockers, Manual Transmission -- @ Holcomb Creek Trail in Southern California IMG_5230.JPEG

Ford Bronco Rock Crawling a 2-Door Base w/ No Lockers, Manual Transmission -- @ Holcomb Creek Trail in Southern California IMG_5233.JPEG

Ford Bronco Rock Crawling a 2-Door Base w/ No Lockers, Manual Transmission -- @ Holcomb Creek Trail in Southern California IMG_2117

Ford Bronco Rock Crawling a 2-Door Base w/ No Lockers, Manual Transmission -- @ Holcomb Creek Trail in Southern California IMG_5236.JPEG

Ford Bronco Rock Crawling a 2-Door Base w/ No Lockers, Manual Transmission -- @ Holcomb Creek Trail in Southern California IMG_5215.JPEG

Ford Bronco Rock Crawling a 2-Door Base w/ No Lockers, Manual Transmission -- @ Holcomb Creek Trail in Southern California IMG_5197.JPEG

Ford Bronco Rock Crawling a 2-Door Base w/ No Lockers, Manual Transmission -- @ Holcomb Creek Trail in Southern California IMG_2098.JPEG
Sponsored

Last edited:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great write-up & pics!

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

By the way I should probably add the same disclaimer here as I did in another thread. I think the Sasquatch Package is a great deal, and highly recommend it. Our videos are not intended to convince anyone that they "don't need lockers." I think they're essential, especially for those who are new to off-roading, and especially if you want to venture into remote areas alone. This Bronco will probably wind up with at least a rear locker at some point. But I hope my videos do help those who happened to have bought a Bronco that isn't as well equipped, and convince them that they can still go out and have fun. Yes, you need to be more careful, choose your lines, start out easy and work your way up to the more technical stuff as you learn how to handle your rig, and ALWAYS wheel in groups if your rig is a bit handicapped like this.

Datoad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Jeep LJ Rubicon, 17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I first ran that trail right after I bought my LJ Rubicon back in ‘06. It did well with the lockers and 4 to 1 transfer case but with the stock 31” tires there was lots of skid plate scraping. As others have said, if you are going to do this type of off-roading lockers should be one of your first modifications.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your previous comment about the traction control is something I (as a grey-beard) did not consider. Is the traction control as useful as a limited slip differential?

Maybe new fangled whiz bangs have a place in life.......maybe?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Your previous comment about the traction control is something I (as a grey-beard) did not consider. Is the traction control as useful as a limited slip differential?

Maybe new fangled whiz bangs have a place in life.......maybe?
The problem with it is that it's not predictable. At least, I'm not experienced enough with it to know when to expect it to engage, or what I can do to "encourage" it to do so. So far it just seems like if you keep on the gas with the tires spinning, sometimes it will do it, sometimes it won't. It's not a replacement for a real locker, but it does come in handy when it decides to wake up and join the party LOL.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I first ran that trail right after I bought my LJ Rubicon back in ‘06. It did well with the lockers and 4 to 1 transfer case but with the stock 31” tires there was lots of skid plate scraping. As others have said, if you are going to do this type of off-roading lockers should be one of your first modifications.
I think that middle rock garden is a bit tougher these days than it was 15 years ago. I run it at least once a year in my Early Bronco with 37's, a spool and an ARB, and that spot can be a struggle even for it. A couple years ago we managed to get a mostly-stock 2-door Wrangler Sport (on 33's with no lockers) through there but it needed a tug in about the same spot.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome video and write up.

new to off-roading, and especially if you want to venture into remote areas alone.
Lockers or not, I'd advise against this without a solid recovery plan.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love this. Showing the different vehicles with the lockers or not and completely different approaches. Also shows I'm a total wuss and can't drive a manual around a corner, impresses me that some of you guys do it while climbing boulders

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice work, really shows what the foundation of the platform is capable of. That being said, videos like this actually re-enforce my reasons for going Badlands/Sasquatch. I'd rather run the machine at a fraction of it's capability than to the end of it until something breaks. I suppose you could straw man that out a bit too. Can't wait to meet ya'll on the trail. I've got another two weeks of resting up from surgery.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I love this. Showing the different vehicles with the lockers or not and completely different approaches. Also shows I'm a total wuss and can't drive a manual around a corner, impresses me that some of you guys do it while climbing boulders
I'm glad you found value in it!

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nice work, really shows what the foundation of the platform is capable of. That being said, videos like this actually re-enforce my reasons for going Badlands/Sasquatch. I'd rather run the machine at a fraction of it's capability than to the end of it until something breaks. I suppose you could straw man that out a bit too. Can't wait to meet ya'll on the trail. I've got another two weeks of resting up from surgery.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm not one of those guys who tells everyone that what I bought is the best and everyone should do the same. On the contrary, as I've said I think the Sasquatch package is a great value and I highly recommend it. I think even those looking to stay in the lower price ranges, adding Sasquatch is worth the investment if you intend to do these types of trails. But if my videos can help people reassure their decisions one way or the other, I'm glad of that. And I agree with you about trying to stay well away from the vehicle's limits. I've been poking around at those limits with this thing, hoping to establish where they lie, and hopefully others will find that information useful.

Tito

Base
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969, 1971, 1966, 1973, 2022 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great job Dusty and thanks for sharing! Videos never show true difficulty of lines, you guys always do well. I've been through Big Bear with you guys at the bash in my stretch about a decade ago.

pfresh

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This past Sunday my wife and I headed up to run Holcomb Creek Trail with a few of our buddies from So Cal Broncos and a couple of my co-workers from ICON. In addition to just having a fun day on the trails, my wife and I were continuing the benchmarking series on your YouTube channel, for testing the off-road performance limits of the Cheapest Bronco You Can Buy™ (2-door Base non-Squatch, 2.3L 7-speed manual, $28,500 MSRP). Each time we've stepped it up a bit higher on the difficulty level, and with Holcomb Creek I think we've found the limit of what I'm comfortable tackling with it, without further modifications. For those who would like to skip right to the video here it is. But after that I go much further in-depth about what's going on, for anyone who's interested.

The summary is that the stripper Bronco is surprisingly capable, once you've solved the main issue they have when they're factory-fresh, which is the dismal ground clearance afforded by the stock pizza cutter tires. The lower shock mounts hang down so far below the rear axle, and the frame mount for the lower control arms robs you of a lot of breakover clearance. So adding a lift and some 35's solves that issue. So technically it's no longer the Cheapest Bronco You Can Buy™, but if you're going to be venturing off-road at all you should probably at least upgrade the tires anyhow. At any rate, just getting the thing a little higher off the ground makes doing rocky trails like these a possibility.

The other big elephant in the room is the lack of lockers. Anyone who's watched our videos so far knows that we treat that as a challenge rather than a hindrance. It's actually pretty fun, in my opinion, trying to "solve the puzzle", so to speak, of getting the Bronco through an obstacle even with that handicap. You have to choose your lines differently than someone with lockers, trying to keep both tires planted as much as possible, even if that puts the rig off-camber.

One of the neat things about the non-locked differentials though, is that the traction control still seems to work on occasion. As you'll see in the video, sometimes if you just stay in it, keep the hammer down, the computer will eventually figure out that the un-gripped tire is spinning and apply a bit of brake to it, which helps to transfer power to the other wheel. You can see that happening in several instances in the video.

Also of interest to some is the 7-speed manual transmission, and how it handles working through rock gardens like these. I'll admit I prefer an auto. I find them much easier to control, especially on slippery rocks like these where, without much traction and lack of lockers, you're often using momentum more than crawling. So it gets a bit herky-jerky at times. I suppose to some it probably looks like a continuous wreck as I crash it through those rocks. It does look that way but most of that was intentional, and for the most part it usually went where I was trying to get it to go. But I will say this, if you get the manual transmission and want to do this type of wheeling, get the pre-paid maintenance plan through your Ford dealer, like I did. It comes with clutch replacements any time they're needed, not just at certain intervals.

The 2.3L engine has been both praised and panned in these pages. But I continue to be impressed with it, and I have other 4X4's with fire-breathing V8's. It has plenty of power, even to turn those 35's. It can pull the weight of the Bronco up any grade it can get enough traction on. But the power doesn't come right off-idle. It's a bit higher in the RPM band. Sometimes you'll see in the video as I wind it up a bit before dropping the hammer. Which also contributes a bit to the jerky-ness of working through rocks like these. But the power is there, and I'm getting better at learning how to use it. By the way, the Crawl gear of the 7-speed works well in concert with the 2.3L, as it lets you get up into that power band at lower speeds.

You might have seen in our other videos that we've tackled a few different types of terrain so far. Holcomb Creek is different that any of the other trails we've tested it on so far, in that the rocks are round and slippery (they were a lot more jagged and grippy on Gold Mountain). Plus it's winter time and there's ice in the water pools between them. So traction, or lack of it, really is the determining factor on a trail like this. I probably should have aired down further than I did. I only went down to 18 PSI. With the bead retention properties of the ICON Rebound Pros I could have safely gone way lower than that. But I was thinking that I needed the ground clearance more than I needed the increased contact patch, in those boulder fields.

As you'll see in the video we did eventually reach a hard limit. I did have to pull some cable near the end of the toughest rock garden. I was pleased with how far I was able to get before I had to hook up though. But I think we've found the limits of wheeling without lockers. I still encourage anyone with one of these non-Squatch Broncos, who feels confident in their driving, to take it out and see what it can do. Just be careful, use your best judgement, and wheel with friends so you can get some assistance if needed. You should NOT attempt a trail like this alone.

Here are a few pics but they're not the best since we were usually filming video during the best parts rather than still shots.

Ford Bronco Rock Crawling a 2-Door Base w/ No Lockers, Manual Transmission -- @ Holcomb Creek Trail in Southern California IMG_2098.JPEG

That stressed me out so much. You mentioned you had 35's at the beginning of the video, but do you have any kind of lift on it?

BumbleBeeTuna

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
you went full send when you took your bronco sans lockers & rock sliders to Holocomb creek.

I love John Bull for a little flexing but holocomb has gotten so hard over the years (from what I’m told vs 10 years ago) esp during winter time. Holy cow. But It’s all good until you hit that middle garden…..it literally gives me anxiety.

props to you for really being okay with no rails on a 35, locker, slider recommended trail. 🤣 if I saw you out there I’d offer you free beers my friend.

Keep up the good wheelin! And I can’t help but drop a quick pic to rival the good ol boy Fords you had with you. (IFS FAMILY?)

Ford Bronco Rock Crawling a 2-Door Base w/ No Lockers, Manual Transmission -- @ Holcomb Creek Trail in Southern California 608D66B1-A4FA-41FF-A90C-EE6AA14DCAAC
Sponsored

Last edited: