Sponsored

Hood Insulation: IAG, OEM or save my money?

fp11

Black Diamond
First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Trying to reduce some of overall noise in my BD MIC 2.7 (big engine and BD gearing can get a little loud sometimes). I’m wondering if any of the below options are worth it or if I just save my money.

IAG Hood Isolator ($70)

Ford OEM Part# M2DZ-16738-A ($100)
Sponsored

thebigbadyeti

Base
First Name
Jonbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Oldsmobile 442
Your Bronco Model
Base
Idk if one is better than the other, but the lAG version appears to be the same as multiple versions on Amazon. I believe the one I purchased was ~$45.

OP
OP
fp11

fp11

Black Diamond
First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Idk if one is better than the other, but the lAG version appears to be the same as multiple versions on Amazon. I believe the one I purchased was ~$45.
Do you notice any difference? You happy with it?

thebigbadyeti

Base
First Name
Jonbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Oldsmobile 442
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe a small difference ? I grew up in the era of OBS chevys baking the paint off the hood so that was my major motivator.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It is. Their I-line stuff is all rebranded imported/chinese stuff.

Sponsored

bek

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This might be too much for you, but I once Line-Xed my floorboards and it made a pretty big difference. Also, that Dynamax type stuff that the audio guys use make a big difference.

Denny Swift

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, 992 GTS, Citroen 2CV, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s funny because I was really expecting the road and wind noise of my Bronco to be an annoyance, but it really isn’t. I’m 64 years old and have always had a sports car since I was 17 (always with stock exhaust system, since I hate overly loud vehicles) so my “normal“ certainly isn’t tomb quite, but the cockpit of my Badlands is a livable space where I can have a normal conversation and listen to podcasts at 80 mph. I continue to be surprised. Maybe I just got lucky and have the quietest one made. Or maybe I’ve gotten used to my tinnitus. Yes, there is wind noise and I would prefer if there was less of it, but it’s really not bad.

I find the wind noise to be similar to what you hear in a long airline flight. It’s just ambient rustling.

I don’t hear any noise from under the hood, and don’t see how any underhood insulation would change anything, at least in my Badlands.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It’s funny because I was really expecting the road and wind noise of my Bronco to be an annoyance, but it really isn’t. I’m 64 years old and have always had a sports car since I was 17 (always with stock exhaust system, since I hate overly loud vehicles) so my “normal“ certainly isn’t tomb quite, but the cockpit of my Badlands is a livable space where I can have a normal conversation and listen to podcasts at 80 mph. I continue to be surprised. Maybe I just got lucky and have the quietest one made. Or maybe I’ve gotten used to my tinnitus. Yes, there is wind noise and I would prefer if there was less of it, but it’s really not bad.

I find the wind noise to be similar to what you hear in a long airline flight. It’s just ambient rustling.

I don’t hear any noise from under the hood, and don’t see how any underhood insulation would change anything, at least in my Badlands.
If you have High or Lux in your BL, you have the factory under hood insulation already. I have it in my OBX so not really sure how it sounds without.

Denny Swift

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, 992 GTS, Citroen 2CV, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you have High or Lux in your BL, you have the factory under hood insulation already. I have it in my OBX so not really sure how it sounds without.
You’re right! I have the high package. So maybe it does help quite a bit. Thanks! I didn’t realize i already had an underhood pad, but I just looked. I’ve had the hood open many times, but never paid attention to the underside!

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Someone posted a video testing the noise level before and after the install of the of these hood insulators (factory High package?), while they helped reduce the noise standing outside the Bronco, it did basicly nothing for the passenger compartment.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gassyjack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting, I wonder how it effects under hood temps? Probably helps in the winter but hinders in the summer.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Eveyone who rides in my BD 2.3 is shocked the road noise and other noise is not way worse then it actually is.

After riding in Jeeps, 2000 era tacomas, and mid 90s land cruisers this joker is ridiculously quiet. Now if you are coming from a modern truck or car this thing is loud comparatively.

To get back on track. I'd say all of the options are probably made in the same factory so just buy the cheapest one with good reviews.

I'd imagine the vinyl floor does a pretty effective job as a sound barrier so going with sound deading mat could help but not as much if you had carpet.

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My other bronco was a BD 4DR 2.7 with a hard top. It was quieter than my current BL 4DR 2.7 LUX with hard top. Most of the noise in the vehicle is from the top. The top on my BL needs a slight alignment to cut down on noise. I don’t believe firewall and hood insulation makes any difference.

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This thread needs a poll!

Reactions: abe

Spender

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Someone posted a video testing the noise level before and after the install of the of these hood insulators (factory High package?), while they helped reduce the noise standing outside the Bronco, it did basicly nothing for the passenger compartment.
may be the same vid - numbers at the time stamp in the link
Ford Bronco Hood Insulation: IAG, OEM or save my money? 609DD127-B97C-41E2-A250-89AE7A360B11

Sponsored