Sponsored

how do i mount a 1" ball to the Archetype racing BYOD rail?

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M Coupe // Volvo P1800S // Caterham CSR 200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all. i thought it would be easy enough to mount a ball to the Archetype rail.
So i bought these: https://www.amazon.com/RAM-MOUNTS-RAP-B-354U-TRA1-Diameter-Attachment/dp/B00FE66K86
but the bolt is 1/4" diameter and the space in the rail (the 'smooth' rail specifically) is slightly more narrow (7/32"?)

How are you guys using your rails? I'm not familiar with Picatinny rails and having a dang time finding a ball that fits on properly.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi all. i thought it would be easy enough to mount a ball to the Archetype rail.
So i bought these: https://www.amazon.com/RAM-MOUNTS-RAP-B-354U-TRA1-Diameter-Attachment/dp/B00FE66K86
but the bolt is 1/4" diameter and the space in the rail (the 'smooth' rail specifically) is slightly more narrow (7/32"?)

How are you guys using your rails? I'm not familiar with Picatinny rails and having a dang time finding a ball that fits on properly.

Thanks.
AR sells their own product (B.A.L.L.S.) for that purpose. They work with either the picatinny or smooth rail.

OP
OP
jaeggernaut

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i guess i will if there is no alternative.
but $13 vs $35 times multiple balls... and for me, add shipping to Canada... no bueno.

why they wouldn't machine that gap to be a standard 1/4" ....... i guess, obviously, to sell their balls.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i guess i will if there is no alternative.
but $13 vs $35 times multiple balls... and for me, add shipping to Canada... no bueno.

why they wouldn't machine that gap to be a standard 1/4" ....... i guess, obviously, to sell their balls.
Well, there are way cheaper BYOD mounts too. So if you've already ponied up the premium price for the AR rail, we already know you're not a cheapskate, so just buy the darn B.A.L.L.S. and be done with it. Buy once, cry once, as they say LOL.

FWIW, I bought 3 of the AR BALLS to go with mine. Ended up buying arms and device mounts from TackForm. I liked the look of the Bulletpoint Mounting Solutions carbon fiber arms but they only work with 20mm balls, and I wanted to use 1" balls since my balls will be bouncing around quite a bit on the trail, they'll need the extra support haha. I did end up getting a handheld radio mount from Bulletpoint though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jaeggernaut

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i guess you're right. i just looked up someone else's suggestion or using 'smallrig' adpaters. the ball and adapter would be the same price as a b.a.l.l.s. 🤷‍♂️

thanks for giving me clarity.

Reactions: Dom
OP
OP
jaeggernaut

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
5-8 week lead time!

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I ordered two of the AR balls and they are very well made/designed. Yeah $35 hit me at first. Once they arrived I can see why. Some other threads on the forum talk about how people changed the balls bolts on other systems to work with the AR but the details were vague. Unfortunately I don't have a link to the tread, since it was buried in the AR thread.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jaeggernaut

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Said that when I ordered and mine was shipped immediately. This was a couple of weeks ago.
I emailed them right after I posted. She said lead times are down to 1-2weeks. so I ordered 2 b.a.l.l.S.

@helifino16 thx. Might pick up one of those.

OP
OP
jaeggernaut

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
just an update. i'm sure the ppl who are waiting are waiting on the actual byod 'rail'. i just ordered the b.a.l.l.s. the order just shipped today. so 1 day turn around.
Sponsored