Sponsored

how hard is it to swap out MGV covers for a set of OEM cloth seat covers?

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ā€˜94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My Big Bend Bronco is in production now so I was able to check out the window sticker and verified I will be getting MGV seats instead of the cloth I was supposed to get. I see a few sets of cloth seat cover take offs online that are reasonably priced so I am thinking of just going that route once the truck is here.

How hard is it to remove the covers in the Bronco? My Wrangler TJ was a snap and needed no tools to remove them. I took those covers off all the time to wash but my toyota pickup uses hog rings and they look like a chore to take off if I never needed to. Are the covers in the Bronco pretty easy to get off or would I need to take it to a shop for the swap? I don't want to deal with hog rings if I don't have to.

I am assuming the MGV seats I will get have the build in molle panels on the backs, and from what I have seen they look to be screwed into the seat backs. Would I be able to put those on after the cloth covers are installed? I wasn't sure if the molle assembly comes off as a unit and could just be pressed into the cloth and screwed to the seat frame. It wouldn't be a big deal if I lost the use of the molle panels though if the cloth backs cover them.

EDIT: forgot...I have the mid package on my Bronco. so do the heater coils for heated seats reside in the covers or in the seat foam? Would I need to make sure the cloth covers I get were from a Bronco with heated seats, or will non heated covers work?
Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base

soldier989

Base
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base MT / 2021 MX-5 GT / 1966 Ford F10
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you were close to Ohio, I'd say let's find out and make a day of swapping your MGV for my cloth. But....I also really like the cloth a lot and understand why you'd want to get out of having the MGV. I've heard it's hot and see numerous people report it's cracking on the bolster. So, when you get yours, make sure you don't slide yourself in/out of the seat. Get some steps, or a cover for your door sill, and lift yourself out of the seat to prevent them from cracking.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you were close to Ohio, I'd say let's find out and make a day of swapping your MGV for my cloth. But....I also really like the cloth a lot and understand why you'd want to get out of having the MGV. I've heard it's hot and see numerous people report it's cracking on the bolster. So, when you get yours, make sure you don't slide yourself in/out of the seat. Get some steps, or a cover for your door sill, and lift yourself out of the seat to prevent them from cracking.
MGV is awesome. Donā€™t believe the untrue stories. I have a 2021 BD. My seats are still like new. And I live in S FL and donā€™t understand the the hot complaints either

Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

MGV is awesome. Donā€™t believe the untrue stories. I have a 2021 BD. My seats are still like new. And I live in S FL and donā€™t understand the the hot complaints either
I was just reading the other post about them cracking..... I also have a MY21 with MGV and they look as good today as they did when they rolled off the factory. And I'm not easy on them. Went mudding the other week and the mud just wiped off super easy. My cloth friends were having a hell of a time getting their seats to be clean after mud

OP
OP
tock13

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wow, I had no idea Ford would make completely different foam for the vinyl seats, that seems crazy! Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
tock13

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco how hard is it to swap out MGV covers for a set of OEM cloth seat covers? 20230708_192955

All ponies deserve sheep skin saddle blankets!
Where did you get your sheepskins at? They look like they fit pretty well. Do they keep your back cooler than the bare MGV?

RAR13

Raptor
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco/Chevy Traverse
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I swapped my BB cloth seats for Kazkin leather (at a vendor) just over a month ago. I asked about saving the cloth seats to resell on ebay because of the shortage, and they were going to charge me an additional $400. They claimed that the cloth seats are difficult to take off and would take an additional 8 hours of labor to keep them in one piece.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right there with you. My MGV are way more comfortable than the leather I had in my 4 door. Been rocking mine top off all summer. No issues.

Sponsored

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Right there with you. My MGV are way more comfortable than the leather I had in my 4 door. Been rocking mine top off all summer. No issues.
I agree I too prefer the MGV to leather.

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where did you get your sheepskins at? They look like they fit pretty well. Do they keep your back cooler than the bare MGV?
Shearcomfort.com

The fit is quite good and they are extremely comfortable. I do a lot of wheeling and usually have the top off, the MGV was literally burning me and my gf ass every time we got in or out of the truck... these are much cooler during the summer even when in direct sunlight for several hours.

I cannot recommend them enough.

OP
OP
tock13

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Shearcomfort.com

The fit is quite good and they are extremely comfortable. I do a lot of wheeling and usually have the top off, the MGV was literally burning me and my gf ass every time we got in or out of the truck... these are much cooler during the summer even when in direct sunlight for several hours.

I cannot recommend them enough.
Years ago Costco used to sell some nice sheepskin covers, I had a set in my FJ40 and never had the top on and they were always cool on the back. I loved them but Costco stopped selling them so thanks for the link, I think this is the way to go for sure!

rsmag9

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've read posts that say the Molle backing is the issue, and also the seat foam might be different, just wondering if anyone has actually attempted to use the OEM cloth seat covers on the MGV seats (or vice versa)?

Winds of Change

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Obx SaS/2021 Bronco sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have an Obx and wish I had MGV.