First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doing a little mental math and based on my intended use, I anticipate my open top Bronco would get rained in one or two times a year. Too lazy to install top on days where it might rain and would just choose to drive my truck. Leaning Wildtrak but if the Badlands is designed to handle a moderate rain it would probably be my pick as I would not be as reluctant to drive it on days where there is a chance of rain.

So with the limited knowledge we have now do we anticipate the entire vehicle can be drained (more than just the footwells) and can the electronics hold up?
Sponsored

rdperez9411

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 peronal (me and wife) 1 company
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I would also like to know everyone's opinions on this

DaDanny

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In Doug's "pre-review", he did mention how the front electronics have a rubber sealant on them to potentially protect against the elements, but I won't trust anything about that until it's officially confirmed the electronics are waterproof.

NateL

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F250 2014 Ford Escape 1947 Ford PU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

“Waterproof” not likely. Water resistant is what you can hope for. Most likely the electronics and speakers will be marine grade, which means you can splash water on them, but heavy water or submerging will ruin it. Top off in an afternoon sprinkle or light rain ?? Top off during a thunderstorm or monsoon ??

mrcx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't speak for a Bronco, but I've owned a few Wranglers. They have been rained in to the point where there was 2-3" of standing water. Not one issue with anything. Knowing that Ford wants a Jeep competitor, I can't see them building the Bronco any less capable. I know I won't have any worries.

Sponsored

FrogGrabber

Black Diamond
First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: 2012 Wrangler, 2015 JKUR, ‘70 Jeepster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There are some known Jeep problems, in the JK’s at least, that happened with rain. The clock spring in the steering wheel would go bad if it got wet enough, so you’d lose buttons/ horn.

Throw your front hardtop panels in back (or install them) on days with rain threat and pull your plugs. Bet you’d be fine then. I ran mine with safari top and floor plugs pulled about 6 months out of the year. Never had a problem. Avoided rain where possible, but still got wet a few times a year.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you’re specifically looking to compare Badlands to other trims for surviving rain the only difference would be the marine vinyl seats and rubberized floors if you’re comparing it to a model without those options.

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Media says the HERO switches are sealed.
Read somewhere else all dash knobs were sealed the same and "water resistant"

"Instrument panel surfaces are wipeable, with seamless silicone rubber on the dash-mounted hero switches, while rubber touchpoints protect against dirt and water. Six available upfitter switches mounted overhead are silicone-sealed to protect against the elements and to make customization easy, with pre-wired leads to key accessory points."

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...two-door-and-first-ever-four-door-models.html

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are some known Jeep problems, in the JK’s at least, that happened with rain. The clock spring in the steering wheel would go bad if it got wet enough, so you’d lose buttons/ horn.

Throw your front hardtop panels in back (or install them) on days with rain threat and pull your plugs. Bet you’d be fine then. I ran mine with safari top and floor plugs pulled about 6 months out of the year. Never had a problem. Avoided rain where possible, but still got wet a few times a year.
Great idea about the front panels.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Media says the HERO switches are sealed.
Read somewhere else all dash knobs were sealed the same and "water resistant"

"Instrument panel surfaces are wipeable, with seamless silicone rubber on the dash-mounted hero switches, while rubber touchpoints protect against dirt and water. Six available upfitter switches mounted overhead are silicone-sealed to protect against the elements and to make customization easy, with pre-wired leads to key accessory points."

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...two-door-and-first-ever-four-door-models.html
That has been clear on hero switches since the beginning, how about windows controls, a/c controls, screen, usb and instrument cluster?

Edit: overhead switches are probably the less worrying (bc they are overhead)

Sponsored

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been wondering about that and am considering throwing a car cover in the back. I can deploy it if rain threatens and I'm away from the tops. Here in the southwest, I'm going to be more worried about dust storms. I honestly don't remember the last time it rained here...

fltechpilot

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Audi S3 1984 Porsche 928S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This is one of the most intelligent things I've heard. You clearly don't work in ford marketing.

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It’s going to be hard to tell since they haven’t built any production Broncos yet. The only ones so far are pre production test vehicles and assembly line test vehicles.
Sponsored