MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Xterra; 04 Element; 06 Sentra; 10 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2023 4 dr. hardtop Badlands with the 2.7 and Sasquatch package. I would like to carry a car-top carrier from time to time. For example I would like to go skiing this weekend and wish I had roof rack to throw my car-top carrier on top and load with gear.

I have a large Yakima skybox that probably weighs 60 pounds. I understand the GVRW for the 4 door 2.7 with Sasquatch, but have seen plenty of people outfitting theirs with large racks, a roof top tent, and a gear box.

I read that the max weight limit for the OEM roof rack is 110 pounds dynamic and 450 pounds static. By time I put a car-top carrier on an OEM rack, I could only put 40 pounds of gear in it. Is the workaround, buying a different rack? Are people carrying more than 110 pounds on their OEM roof rack?

I have a Yakima Rack and Roll kayak trailer that fits my car-top carrier. Should I forget the roof rack and pull a small trailer? For those with my same configuration and dilemma, what did you ultimately decide to do and why? Thanks!!
Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
A few other threads discuss the weight limit and if is measly. It's due to the hardtop being used as a structural member and one can see it visibly bow when doing so. Check out the roof rack reinforcement from JCR that bypasses the load from the hardtop and "routes" it into the rollbar. Very creative solution and it's what I went with to insure a robust RTT on my Raptor (I bought but haven't installed). The full/half convertible rack itself from JCR is very nice as well.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I may be missing something but your box weighs 60lbs? I understand the static load limit for the oem rack I believe is 450lbs; so you should be able to load up your box up to 390lbs, not 40?
Only if you don't plan on driving anywhere. 110 lbs is the max dynamic load capacity with the OEM roof rails.

ChrisCRNA

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX, F150 King Ranch, BMW R1250 GSA
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I took my OEM rack off (4dr Outer Banks) yesterday and installed a TrailRax. Im really happy with the fit and look but I haven't tested it yet. Im working in Colorado for 6 months so Im driving there from NC on Friday (weather dependent) and having a rooftop tent installed when I get to Denver. Im driving through Nashville (again weather dependent) and you can have my OEM rack if you can meet me along my route. Id love to get it out of my garage.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For me, I knew having a roof rack for our Bronco was going to be a must since we'd need the extra space for hauling my family's gear on longer trips. I originally had the OEM roof rails included in my build order, but realized that weight capacity wasn't going to cut it, especially if we ever got something larger like a cargo box or a roof top tent. After looking around at the various options, I settled on the Trailrax since their Pak Rax attachments allowed for a 300 lbs dynamic load rating. It's the only company I found (at the time) that advertised a higher dynamic load rating than the OEM option. I don't think something structural like a roof rack is something you should be cutting corners on, that's why I had no problem spending the extra money on a rack I knew would be able to handle whatever we strapped to it.

Ford Bronco I need some roof rack guidance... IMG_7631

Sponsored

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Depends if you care about keeping the roof easily removable or not. Personally, I use a hitch-mount rack because it’s easy on and off - there when I need it and out of the way when I don’t. If you never remove the top, Gobi probably makes the best product out there. I would just use your yakima trailer - that is easier access than anything else if u don’t mind pulling it.

Ford Bronco I need some roof rack guidance... 1705451430949

Last edited:

SeptuagenarianSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's a long thread on Trailrax reviews. Searching will show plenty of threads and posts. I have it, and am very happy with it. It's pricey, especially if you opt for a lightbar and (side) PakRax.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/trailrax-real-world-reviews.58488/

Here's a fairly recent member marketplace TRMX available in Colorado:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/trailrax-trmr-roof-rack.87109/

10% discount at the "other site," but Trailrax also has holiday sales to watch for.

This setup calls for the 40-inch lightbar, consider Heretic (pricey). A day's drive each way. Hey, it's winter wonderland in mid-America! Maybe he'd meet you in Topeka?

I found that buying an assortment of 1/4-20 T-nuts, bolts, threaded studs of different lengths, and threaded eye-nuts gives me flexibility to secure all sorts of ways to attach gear, like a farm jack, axe, saw, etc. I bought a generic roortop cargo box that had m10 hardware. After failing to make m10 setup fit the Trailrax, I trilled the box's mounting holes to 3/8 inch. It now sits on top of my 1/4-20 threaded posts just fine, flat, and secure.

Consider your garage height as you think and shop.

A bit of time and ingenuity, you can make things work, even your kayak rig. Off-roading is a fun, addictive, and expensive hobby. You know that now, right? Right!

OP
OP
The Bronc

The Bronc

Badlands
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Xterra; 04 Element; 06 Sentra; 10 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took my OEM rack off (4dr Outer Banks) yesterday and installed a TrailRax. Im really happy with the fit and look but I haven't tested it yet. Im working in Colorado for 6 months so Im driving there from NC on Friday (weather dependent) and having a rooftop tent installed when I get to Denver. Im driving through Nashville (again weather dependent) and you can have my OEM rack if you can meet me along my route. Id love to get it out of my garage.
I sent you a private message.

timrobporter

Raptor
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Raptor; 2023 Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
@cr117 i have the same setup including the light bar cutout which I haven’t received yet. I’m looking at cargo boxes, how do you like the roam?

Sponsored

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@cr117 i have the same setup including the light bar cutout which I haven’t received yet. I’m looking at cargo boxes, how do you like the roam?
The Roams are awesome. I found this set used. The guy had already drilled holes through the bottoms to mount them to the Prinsu rack on his Tacoma, which I was really surprised to find had the correct spacing for the Trailrax crossbars. I only mount them if we’re going somewhere overnight and we need the extra cargo space. They keep everything nice and dry and I can lock them shut and not worry about anyone opening them or unmounting them from the rack (at least without significant effort). One of the reasons I liked the Roam boxes over others is their gas struts hold the lids open, making loading them up so much easier. Wind noise is actually not as bad as I thought it’d be. That wind deflector up front really does its job.

Ford Bronco I need some roof rack guidance... IMG_1071

JEMSA

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Bronco, 82 F350, 91 MX5, 93 MX5, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve trailrax 2dr with Pak Rax rated 300/850
And mounted the Roofnest Condor overland 2 at 250lbs. So I’m 80% of static limit.

To date with the set up I’ve done only moderate trails ~4 out of 10 and maybe 100 miles of highway.

A light squeak on the rax driver front, I presume I need to retighten / loctite somewhere. Otherwise everything worked well. Of course it does handle a little different with that much weight and CG change. But by no means did I feel anything untoward or pushing limits.

I’ve a ceramic appointment at end of month so dismounted the whole setup. Will use that opportunity to retighten when I reinstall.
dji_fly_20231225_153726_0006_1703890839363_photo.jpeg

timrobporter

Raptor
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The Roams are awesome. I found this set used. The guy had already drilled holes through the bottoms to mount them to the Prinsu rack on his Tacoma, which I was really surprised to find had the correct spacing for the Trailrax crossbars. I only mount them if we’re going somewhere overnight and we need the extra cargo space. They keep everything nice and dry and I can lock them shut and not worry about anyone opening them or unmounting them from the rack (at least without significant effort). One of the reasons I liked the Roam boxes over others is their gas struts hold the lids open, making loading them up so much easier. Wind noise is actually not as bad as I thought it’d be. That wind deflector up front really does its job.

Ford Bronco I need some roof rack guidance... dji_fly_20231225_153726_0006_1703890839363_photo
That’s cool! So you are not using the rugged mounts that roam sells? Been wondering how they would mount to the trailrax and why do you have the ropes there? Is that to add extra support for the rack?

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s cool! So you are not using the rugged mounts that roam sells? Been wondering how they would mount to the trailrax and why do you have the ropes there? Is that to add extra support for the rack?
There are other members on here that use the Roam mounts with their boxes (example below from @Gluestick). They look pretty slick, nice that you can unlatch them quickly and take the boxes off. They seem pretty flexible in terms of mounting locations as well. I was planning on going this route, but since the holes drilled in the bottom of mine from the previous owner lined up perfectly, I just re-used that method and saved some money (plus I wouldn't have to plug up the holes somehow).

Those cables I have mounted up front are limb risers. Out here in the PNW, trails can get pretty tight and I hate having branches whack the windshield and drag along the side. These help lift them up and over the roof.

Ford Bronco I need some roof rack guidance... IMG_1027

timrobporter

Raptor
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ahh! Makes complete sense. Your rig looks sweet!! Thanks for answering my questions.
Sponsored