First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands Sasquatch 2door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Even my Ford dealer steered me away from the OEM roof rack. I went with TrailRax on my 2 door and super happy with it. I took out 3 of the 7 cross bars to fit my Thule box and it feels super stable and fits 4 pairs of skis and 2 pairs of boots. We've done 3 four hour trips to Tahoe. We did have to pad the front bar (with pipe insulation from Home Depot) so the box wouldn't keep banging on it.

You could do a 2" hitch receiver ski rack, too, that holds them upright.
Sponsored

Gluestick

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Bronco Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use the ROAM mounts which have a billion ways to mount them and have it somewhat offset in the back for two Roam 128s long ways, and one Roam 95 sideways, which leaves open the front for open air (or more recently) two of the front runner wolf pack boxes. (I mount two more of those on the AAL Spare Tire Platform).

I actually have a second Roam 95 and brackets, but havenā€™t decided whether I want to mount it like the first, change things around, or do something else.

I also mount gear shade limbrisers to the rack, weā€™ve got some low branch trails down in the southeast too.

hereā€™s a pic from Monday coming home from the Roan:
Ford Bronco I need some roof rack guidance... IMG_1334

and loaded up in the fall for Shenandoah:
Ford Bronco I need some roof rack guidance... IMG_0129

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Trailrax makes the best aftermarket roof rack for the bronco if you add the pax rax. The full length members are single piece and "L" shaped. The rack is built like a tank and still allows front panels to be removed. For ultimate weight bearing capability, get the JCR reinforcement brackets that go under the rear clam shell and attach directly to the rear crossmember on the roll cage. I would have added these to mine but JCR didn't have them available when I got my trailrax rack. I'm going to add them at some point but it requires me removing the rack and complete hardtop and I am lazy.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you want to carry any real load I agree TrailRax is the way to go. But itā€™s expensive. I opted to go another way as I couldnā€™t justify the cost for mainly wanting to carry skis.

I realized I just donā€™t carry that much, even when offroading or overlanding. Iā€™m a minimalist. With a 4dr I keep everything inside. Except for skis! So I got a cheap Broaddict knockoff of the OEM rack for $350. And I take it off after ski season so I can go topless.

Of course thereā€™s never more than 2 people in the Bronco when off-road. Keeps it light.

OverlandingPastor

Heritage
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I've spent the last 3 months looking at just about every roof rack available for the Bronco so I would be ready when mine arrives. As others have said, TrailRax is the best but it is also the most expensive (base Rack consistently $450 more than others). They do go on sale from time to time but even then you'll be $300 more than others before even getting the pax rax. Some of the other heavy duty racks, including the RCI have experienced hardtop sag issues and require reinforcement brackets developed after the issues surfaced. I think I would regret saving $300-400 and then having a problem so I will likely go with the TrailRax.

That said, I wish I could find a Rack I felt good about Overlanding with 3-5 times per year but could then easily remove between trips. My Bronco is my daily driver and I am transitioning to it from a Wrangler JK that I've had for 12 years. I love riding with the top off and I'll lose that with the TrailRax Rack (and all other similar heavy duty racks ive seen). I understand I can still remove the front panels and second row but anyone who has done that knows it is not the same as being topless. It's a compromise I've decided to make for now and hope some other options emerge in the future.

Sponsored

Gluestick

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well i think you could take a bunch of the crossbars out when you arenā€™t using it for loads to free up the open air experience in the first two rows. Still not going to give you the wide open rear open air experience though.

MTHOOK

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use the ROAM mounts which have a billion ways to mount them and have it somewhat offset in the back for two Roam 128s long ways, and one Roam 95 sideways, which leaves open the front for open air (or more recently) two of the front runner wolf pack boxes. (I mount two more of those on the AAL Spare Tire Platform).

I actually have a second Roam 95 and brackets, but havenā€™t decided whether I want to mount it like the first, change things around, or do something else.

I also mount gear shade limbrisers to the rack, weā€™ve got some low branch trails down in the southeast too.

hereā€™s a pic from Monday coming home from the Roan:

and loaded up in the fall for Shenandoah:
What brand is your spare tire carrier?

Gluestick

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

American Adventure Lab Spare Tire platform. Game changer for getting stuff out into the woods. The swing gate brace is the hammerbuilt, and the spare tire mount is the up/out spacer from RTR.

BroncoSunFun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Depends if you care about keeping the roof easily removable or not. Personally, I use a hitch-mount rack because itā€™s easy on and off - there when I need it and out of the way when I donā€™t. If you never remove the top, Gobi probably makes the best product out there. I would just use your yakima trailer - that is easier access than anything else if u donā€™t mind pulling it.

1705451430949.png
What are you using for your hitch and rack setup?

Sponsored

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What are you using for your hitch and rack setup?
https://www.hitchmount-rack.com/

I also have a hitch extender I use with it to give myself a little more adjustability room. My only complaint is itā€™s a bit bulky to store when not in useā€¦ I just throw it in my barn out back but I guess you could hang it up in a garage relatively easily. I found mine on FB marketplace for $200 so you might want to check there first.

smelly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Black Diamond 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Even my Ford dealer steered me away from the OEM roof rack. I went with TrailRax on my 2 door and super happy with it. I took out 3 of the 7 cross bars to fit my Thule box and it feels super stable and fits 4 pairs of skis and 2 pairs of boots. We've done 3 four hour trips to Tahoe. We did have to pad the front bar (with pipe insulation from Home Depot) so the box wouldn't keep banging on it.

You could do a 2" hitch receiver ski rack, too, that holds them upright.
Do you have any photos of what this looks like installed on your 2 door? Trying to decide on a good roof rack that will fit my Thule Force XT

OverlandingPastor

Heritage
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Do you have any photos of what this looks like installed on your 2 door? Trying to decide on a good roof rack that will fit my Thule Force XT
I've decided to go with the RAKET Designs base rack because I can completely remove it when not overlanding and take the complete top off of my Bronco. I've looked at lots of racks and was leaning towards the Trailrax for a long time, but structurally the RAKET design rack is just as good or better and gives me the flexibility I want. I can remove it in 5-7 minutes. I LOVE riding with the top off of my Jeep Wrangler and know I will miss that if I setup my new Bronco in a way that doesn't allow me to easily do it. So although it's quite the investment...it was worth it for me long-term. BaseRak - Raket Designs

Ford Bronco I need some roof rack guidance... RAKET on Hardto

Ford Bronco I need some roof rack guidance... Raket2

Ford Bronco I need some roof rack guidance... RAket3

Update: This rack also has the ability to serve as a flat rack or you can pull the pins, flip it over, and use it as a basket. Additionally, they've just added a "Bakrak" rear section that is modular and can provide additional storage.

Last edited:

Jael.overland

Wildtrak
First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
American Adventure Lab Spare Tire platform. Game changer for getting stuff out into the woods. The swing gate brace is the hammerbuilt, and the spare tire mount is the up/out spacer from RTR.
Hey!
Just got the AAL platform and the IAG tailgate reinforcement. I liked that it included the whole hinge thinking it would make the tailgate able to take heavier loads than those without.
But as soon as we put the spare tire back on it sags a bit, so am a bit disappointed! I am hesitant to use the AAL since it will
Just add more weight.
How are you finding your Hammerbuilt once you are loaded up?
Sponsored