First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Have you checked to see what you can actually get? I was going to go with 315/70r17 Toyo Open Country AT’s on mine but they were out of stock and back ordered with no ETA. BFG was my third choice behind the TOYO’s and some Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT’s which were also on back order with no ETA. I considered the Falkens but they are a fairly heavy tire. Not sure how they compare to the BFG’s weight wise.
Depending on size designation (315x or 35x), the 315/70R17 BFG KO2's with Load range C are roughly 62lbs.
The 315/70R17 Falken ATW3's with Load range E are 73lbs.
The Load range D Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T is roughly 71 lbs.
Then there's the 35x12.50R17 Nitto Recon Grapplers with Load range E that are listed as 68lbs.

I don't have a Bronco yet, but I've been researching tires for my intended purpose and availability is the biggest issue. I don't care for the OEM Goodyears and they will be removed fairly quick once I get the Bronco. I will be going with lighter wheels, so I've been taking notes on tire weights, availability and load range with cost being the final decider.
The Recon Grapplers look good on paper, but I haven't heard much about them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have you checked to see what you can actually get? I was going to go with 315/70r17 Toyo Open Country AT’s on mine but they were out of stock and back ordered with no ETA. BFG was my third choice behind the TOYO’s and some Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT’s which were also on back order with no ETA. I considered the Falkens but they are a fairly heavy tire. Not sure how they compare to the BFG’s weight wise.
Availability will certainly be a factor. I think at this point I’ve seen enough to spring for the Falkens, and then look to Open Country or K02s if supply chain issues are a factor.

OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ended up ordering the Falken Wildpeaks from 4WP after finding a 10% off coupon. :LOL: Plus I rationalized that I wouldn't miss that extra $400 if I hydroplaned my brand new $55k truck into a Camry lol

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My last set of Nitto AWT rank worse than the $500 set off brand Pathfinder At. Triple peak rated disappointment, poor life and rock hard.

Lets just say when you work remote mine sites and need tires you end up with lots of different combinations to compare. Tires don't wear out they get shredded. Its also a cost thing, so I would throw crap tires on to get the truck to the end of the job as it was an internal loaner. Some times you win, some times you lose(time and money). At least no one is pushing bridgestone duelers anymore...
I honestly think it varies so much based on WHEN tires were made and what size we're referencing. I bought a set of cheap Discount Tire Pathfinder ATs for my '12 F150 FX4. Stock 20" rims. Truck only had 40K miles on it when we bought it used. It had Michelins on it - that looked newish. On the interstate it road like CRAP above 60mph or so. Then it started to give me a bit of shake in the steering wheel. Balance, alignment - all good to go - I personally checked.

Didn't want to spend $$$ on 20" tires since I planned on a slight lift and some wheels and tires before too long - that was before we decided to replace my wife's Mustang ragtop with a Bronco - her idea.

I've got almost 30K miles on those Pathfinders. They've shocked me more than once on how good they've done when I'd had to pull a few people out, carry my tractor / trailer onto a few different remote / muddy etc sites. Glass smooth at 70+ mph on the interstate as well. Even my wife commented "The truck drives better - what did you do?" She's NOT a "car" person.

But again, I bought them not expecting a whole lot.

I will tell you - the Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP (35x12.50x15) we put on my son's '95 Bronco have REALLY impressed me. They were running a discount at the time + the place I bought them ran a sale on top of that - got 'em for A LOT cheaper than anything else in that size.

He's got 20K miles on 'em. Great shape (we rotate every 5K miles or so) good in the mud and snow and he drove that old Bronco all over NY, PA etc last Summer. Of course they don't make them in a 315/70/17 that I could find.
Sponsored