First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yuuup, all this initial Bronco steering mania will soon be moot or at least need to be approached differently
I edited my first reply, stating the "severe duty" rack, since that is what Ford called it at one point.
That might be the way to go, instead of throwing the 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc around.
Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome video thanks for sharing.

I know 74 weld was initially a little timid about having a stage 1 offering. In planning a little more long term upgrades the next big mod I want to do is around the steering. Preparing to go all in on a stage 2 is a spendy solution but 2.0 rack in a 74 housing is probably fairly bullet proof and not complaining on that price either.

Reading your results from what would be the stage 1 (I know you have the BB setup but I am more interested in the 74 weld offering) does give me confidence that could be an option. Thinking a stage 1 and something like a tricky tie rod kit/tools type spares in the bronco keeps the tie rods the weakest link and adds something worth while to the rack. My setup is 95% on road daily driving but I do go off road and love going to CO trails when I get out west.

Great discussion

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Awesome video thanks for sharing.

I know 74 weld was initially a little timid about having a stage 1 offering. In planning a little more long term upgrades the next big mod I want to do is around the steering. Preparing to go all in on a stage 2 is a spendy solution but 2.0 rack in a 74 housing is probably fairly bullet proof and not complaining on that price either.

Reading your results from what would be the stage 1 (I know you have the BB setup but I am more interested in the 74 weld offering) does give me confidence that could be an option. Thinking a stage 1 and something like a tricky tie rod kit/tools type spares in the bronco keeps the tie rods the weakest link and adds something worth while to the rack. My setup is 95% on road daily driving but I do go off road and love going to CO trails when I get out west.

Great discussion
That’s a great setup. I’m running a 74weld setup and a Broncbuster setup side by side right now in the 3.0 rack for fun. I don’t have any initial impressions yet as it’s too soon but I’ll eventually report back.

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After you were done dissecting it, put it back together and send it back for the core.
That's what I did.. The dealership had zero issues with it.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just need to save up another grand and my steering solution is going to be...

74 Weld Stage 2:
IMG_0059-scaled-e1685041518890.jpg

Carli Steering System:
CS-BRS-21.3.jpg

Edit to add:

@popo_patty

Are the motor mounts on the steering racks the same? Meaning, if in the future I need the power of the bigger motor, is it swappable? Has anyone tried this?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I edited my first reply, stating the "severe duty" rack, since that is what Ford called it at one point.
That might be the way to go, instead of throwing the 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc around.
I tend to refer to the rack in the HOSS 3.0 as the HD rack, and checked with Ducati, who said that was the actual name of the rack. One of the S's is steering, so saying HOSS 3.0 rack is the specific (HD) rack, but it's more to type and possibly confuses people since the suspension is also referenced in HOSS. So I just say HD rack.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@popo_patty It may be in the video, but are you running the stage 3 from 74W or the aftermarket BB stage 2 with his upgrades?

Hashlak

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch, Porsche GT3RS, Honda CBR1000RR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Very cool video, thanks for the tear down.

I have a question for those who are more techinically sound on the matter.

After a couple of jumps, I have noticed a very slight bit of play coming from my steering wheel. Mainly felt when going over speed bumps once in a while. Never really feel it offroad.

What could this be? Is it worth getting bronc buster bushings or the passanger billet housing? Or just leave it until it dies and get another rack?

Currently I have the bronc bushing at my house, ready to install. Just waiting on the RPG tie rods.

Also, would the bronc buster bushing cause any issues if installing the RPG tie rod?

Thanks,
Just an update on the above.

I installed the BB bushing along with the RPG tie rods. The play/movement in the steering wheel is completely gone now. Very happy with the smooth steering :)

Sponsored

Rwhite692

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Blazer, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am surprised that Ford would take a 2.0 (or any other) rack back, to refund a core charge against the purchase of a 3.0?

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am surprised that Ford would take a 2.0 (or any other) rack back, to refund a core charge against the purchase of a 3.0?
There must be a high demand for 2.0 remans.
Sponsored