Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The steering gear of my ‘22 Bronco is broken afterwards only 6000 miles. This seems like a quite unusual issue. Has anyone had a similar problem? This is quite the safety issue!

And if this happen to be a known weak part, are there aftermarket replacements for the Ford power steering?

The worst part is that there are no spare parts from Ford to fix it. Had the Bronco at the dealership for 3 weeks and still no ETA for a spare part to fix the steering. Maybe anther month or more but no one can commit to any ETA it is all blames on supply chain issues, while new trucks roll off the production line every day to make sure the sales numbers are good for the investors. The message I get is that warranty repairs take a backseat to quarterly numbers.

Be careful with your Broncos. If anything breaks you might spend the summer in the shop. #supplychainissues
Sponsored

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Steering Rack?

OP
OP
Tuco76

Tuco76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Steering Rack?
Might be. I’ve only been given the information that it is the “steering gear”, but I really don’t know what part is actually broken.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s not cheap but aftermarket is the way to go. 74weld has a great housing you can have your steering racks internals installed into.

Dayton1984

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The steering gear of my ‘22 Bronco is broken afterwards only 6000 miles. This seems like a quite unusual issue. Has anyone had a similar problem? This is quite the safety issue!

And if this happen to be a known weak part, are there aftermarket replacements for the Ford power steering?

The worst part is that there are no spare parts from Ford to fix it. Had the Bronco at the dealership for 3 weeks and still no ETA for a spare part to fix the steering. Maybe anther month or more but no one can commit to any ETA it is all blames on supply chain issues, while new trucks roll off the production line every day to make sure the sales numbers are good for the investors. The message I get is that warranty repairs take a backseat to quarterly numbers.

Be careful with your Broncos. If anything breaks you might spend the summer in the shop. #supplychainissues
sorry this has happened and if this has been answered before but does the dealer provide a loaner or rental offset if this is your daily driver and you can’t drive it for months? How exactly do they expect people to get to work and not repair a vehicle for months at a time?

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So you have 3 possibilities, but only one of them will probably be covered fully under warranty.

1) Wait for a stock replacement rack under warranty

2) purchase the HOSS 3.0 rack and there are some folks on this board that can program it for you prior to install.

3) buy the full weld74 rack, but that would be $$$.

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I only ended up with my bronco because ford couldn't fix the '21 ranger I traded for it.

Bad driveshaft center bearing after 38k miles, non-serviceable bearing, and shafts are backordered with no ETA.

The dealership told me last time they had that same problem with a ranger... it took 6 months to get a shaft.

OP
OP
Tuco76

Tuco76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

sorry this has happened and if this has been answered before but does the dealer provide a loaner or rental offset if this is your daily driver and you can’t drive it for months? How exactly do they expect people to get to work and not repair a vehicle for months at a time?
No, there is no option to get an alternative vehicle. I do get that things break, but I don't understand that no parts are being provided for repairs. Everything goes to the production line and nothing to repairs. Customers with existing cars waiting for repairs just have to wait until one of the Ford MBAs decides that they might be able to spare a part or two for warranty repairs. And who know whenever that is...

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No, there is no option to get an alternative vehicle. I do get that things break, but I don't understand that no parts are being provided for repairs. Everything goes to the production line and nothing to repairs. Customers with existing cars waiting for repairs just have to wait until one of the Ford MBAs decides that they might be able to spare a part or two for warranty repairs. And who know whenever that is...
Perhaps the demand for spares is exceeding what they forecasted? There are spares being produced, just not enough. Have you checked on your own to see if any of the online Ford dealers have one in stock? Try another dealer. It's not the ideal way to handle a warranty issue but if you are in need of the vehicle, you have to work outside the box.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This happened to me around 15000 miles or so (don’t remember exactly). I didn’t think much of it at first as I was quite a ways from home, on a trip, and it wasn’t hindering drivability or steering response (yet). Once I got it into the shop, I was told “that sounds like a normal sound” to which I responded “the vehicle did not make this noise when I first got it” and then listed several things I noticed such as occasional failure to return to center and varying resistance in trying to turn the wheel (terrain irrelevant). They said they’d look into it.

Next day I get a call saying the steering gear was broken and needed to be replaced (that was my hunch and I told the tech that). Vehicle had been unsafe to drive (lol). Parts had been ordered and should arrive in 3-5 days.

About a week after dropping it off, I got it back and it felt brand new again - no issues since (18k miles now)

I haven’t done any hardcore crawling or anything that the vehicle shouldn’t be able to do with ease; it just failed on its own 🤷🏼‍♂️ I’ve not changed anything on the suspension, steering, wheels, or tires

Down the line I would like to upgrade the steering rack itself, but right now it’s so far from justifiable financially and just unnecessary for my trips that I can’t do it right now; other things must come first. If I could do HOSS 3.0 rack and get a warranty through Ford with it, I’d do that

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm curious what exactly "steering gear" refers to? Did the housing on the passenger side fail? Did the rack jump a gear?

Dayton1984

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
is that not part if ford warranty that if the vehicle isn’t safe to drive and must be left overnight they provide a rental or $30 a day up to 10 days towards a rental? I’d check lemon laws as well if it goes over 30 days in service and they can’t fix it for whatever reason.

OP
OP
Tuco76

Tuco76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm curious what exactly "steering gear" refers to? Did the housing on the passenger side fail? Did the rack jump a gear?
I wish I knew. They did not share what exact part is failing. Only that the part is not available.
Sponsored

Last edited: