Monia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Posting this for visibility and in hopes that someone else benefits from my experience. Driving my 2022 Ford Bronco Badlands with just under 6,000 miles on it and the steering assist failure warning comes up and locks out my steering wheel. I was just trying to leave the grocery store parking lot and didn't drive it around town much that week. I had to get it towed to the dealership to get it looked at. I have 33" stock wheels, nothing too heavy, should be adequate for the factory steering rack..

They told me that I needed a new steering gear but the part is on backorder. Best part is that they don't have any loaners and there's no ETA on the part despite them emergency ordering it. I'm not sure if the entire housing unit and interiors are done for / if the boots are still salvageable or what exactly is wrong with it. The part that is on backorder:

Rack And Pinion Steering Gear
Part #: STE871 (MB3Z3504AV)

Seems like the related part on backorder is a specific tie rod and the assembly but can't exactly tell what's available from the site. That's all I've been able to figure out so far. I'm continuing to call around to other dealerships that are maybe more like Autonation to see what's out there and what can be done.. it's not fun and it's a lot of work but I know the dealership won't be doing it on my behalf.

Anyway, I know there is one other fellow Bronco owner experiencing this issue but feel free to comment if you have thoughts or ideas. I can't sit around and be told to do nothing while the dealership waits on a part that could take months to show up.
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

MB3Z-3504-AV is the complete steering rack including inner and outer tie rods. There are none available and on backorder like they said. ETA off backorder is 7/28, but I wouldnā€™t expect that to be correct or assume you will get one anytime around that date.

You may want to ask them if they can order a short rack instead. If your outer tie rods werenā€™t damaged, they should be able to order part number MB3Z-3504-A, which only includes inner tie rods, then reuse your outers if possible. This part number looks a little easier to acquire (although not by much)

OP
OP
badlandscacti

badlandscacti

Badlands
First Name
Monia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MB3Z-3504-AV is the complete steering rack including inner and outer tie rods. There are none available and on backorder like they said. ETA off backorder is 7/28, but I wouldnā€™t expect that to be correct or assume you will get one anytime around that date.

You may want to ask them if they can order a short rack instead. If your outer tie rods werenā€™t damaged, they should be able to order part number MB3Z-3504-A, which only includes inner tie rods, then reuse your outers if possible. This part number looks a little easier to acquire (although not by much)
Thanks for that. Iā€™ll check again. I didnā€™t know that was the difference between those part numbers. My service advisor hasnā€™t been very helpful. I told him about the MB3Z-3504-A part bc I saw it online and he said the difference between those parts and why they couldnā€™t order that one is how they function with the computer system. Iā€™m not sure how valid that is

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for that. Iā€™ll check again. I didnā€™t know that was the difference between those part numbers. My service advisor hasnā€™t been very helpful. I told him about the MB3Z-3504-A part bc I saw it online and he said the difference between those parts and why they couldnā€™t order that one is how they function with the computer system. Iā€™m not sure how valid that is
He probably just doesnā€™t know what heā€™s talking about.

If you DM me your VIN I can verify MB3Z-3504-A is correct and will work for your Bronco. Like I mentioned, the only difference is the lack of outer tie rods.

OP
OP
badlandscacti

badlandscacti

Badlands
First Name
Monia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He probably just doesnā€™t know what heā€™s talking about.

If you DM me your VIN I can verify MB3Z-3504-A is correct and will work for your Bronco. Like I mentioned, the only difference is the lack of outer tie rods.
Yep. My thoughts exactly. I'm checking the Autonation site too and it seems like they have a lot of the parts but some say "allow 3-5 days for processing" and some say "currently in stock". I'm just going to have to call the Ford dealership and ask what part specifically is broken and what can be salvaged (hopefully it's most of it and there isn't like a crack in the housing completely) and confirm where to get these parts whether it's Autonation or Ford. I can't imagine it's anything crazy because i've only driven this car in the city.

I used my VIN to confirm that MB3Z-3504-A will work but this specific spindle rod still shows as backordered. I'll send it over bc it's better than just having me check.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/s...kage)-p-mb3z3a130b?pdp=y#/sectionId:395088907

Sponsored

Tuco76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Posting this for visibility and in hopes that someone else benefits from my experience. Driving my 2022 Ford Bronco Badlands with just under 6,000 miles on it and the steering assist failure warning comes up and locks out my steering wheel. I was just trying to leave the grocery store parking lot and didn't drive it around town much that week. I had to get it towed to the dealership to get it looked at. I have 33" stock wheels, nothing too heavy, should be adequate for the factory steering rack..

They told me that I needed a new steering gear but the part is on backorder. Best part is that they don't have any loaners and there's no ETA on the part despite them emergency ordering it. I'm not sure if the entire housing unit and interiors are done for / if the boots are still salvageable or what exactly is wrong with it. The part that is on backorder:

Rack And Pinion Steering Gear
Part #: STE871 (MB3Z3504AV)

Seems like the related part on backorder is a specific tie rod and the assembly but can't exactly tell what's available from the site. That's all I've been able to figure out so far. I'm continuing to call around to other dealerships that are maybe more like Autonation to see what's out there and what can be done.. it's not fun and it's a lot of work but I know the dealership won't be doing it on my behalf.

Anyway, I know there is one other fellow Bronco owner experiencing this issue but feel free to comment if you have thoughts or ideas. I can't sit around and be told to do nothing while the dealership waits on a part that could take months to show up.
I'm in the exact same boat. Waiting for a part for a month and a half, with no ETA for it other than that it is "prioritized". And the summer ticks away while we wait....

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep. My thoughts exactly. I'm checking the Autonation site too and it seems like they have a lot of the parts but some say "allow 3-5 days for processing" and some say "currently in stock". I'm just going to have to call the Ford dealership and ask what part specifically is broken and what can be salvaged (hopefully it's most of it and there isn't like a crack in the housing completely) and confirm where to get these parts whether it's Autonation or Ford. I can't imagine it's anything crazy because i've only driven this car in the city.

I used my VIN to confirm that MB3Z-3504-A will work but this specific spindle rod still shows as backordered. I'll send it over bc it's better than just having me check.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/steering-tie-rod-end-spindle-rod-connecting-end-left-(adrenalin-package)-p-mb3z3a130b?pdp=y#/sectionId:395088907
I have a couple of these tie rod end/spindles available if it will help you out. They are used but in VG condition. I think they'll fit in a small USPS flat rate box. If interested I can send them your way for the cost of the box...$11 I believe.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you get desperate, I have a used one from 2022 Badlands (removed to install hoss3 rack). It has driver-side broncbuster bushing installed. Complete rack with rods/boots. You would need to ask your dealer if they will install used part under warranty. You can have it for the core charge of $400 plus ups shipping from Boise.

OP
OP
badlandscacti

badlandscacti

Badlands
First Name
Monia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, definitely not something the dealership will cover / consider and the service advisor canā€™t tell me specifically which parts associated with the steering rack are actually in need of repair. They also wonā€™t ā€œsalvageā€ any parts that could be reused because the Ford guidance is to replace the entire module. Appreciate everyoneā€™s input and willingness to help

BobaFetz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™ve been dealing with this exact issue for months. Towed to dealership on 5/4 and Ford still has no ETA.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Iā€™ve been dealing with this exact issue for months. Towed to dealership on 5/4 and Ford still has no ETA.
Hey there. I can look into your Broncoā€™s concerns on my end if youā€™d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Too bad you canā€™t get them to upgrade you to the Hose 3.0 rack. (Would be worth paying any difference in cost.)

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I had this happen to me AGAIN, I'd be shelling out the coin for a HOSS 3.0 rack. Sorry OP, I hope Ford gets it together ASAP for ya

OP
OP
badlandscacti

badlandscacti

Badlands
First Name
Monia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

update ā€” I was able to get this issue fixed. It turns out they ordered the wrong part and only came to realize that after I spoke with the parts department and asked about the other rack and pinion (not on backorder) that fit my VIN, (part # mentioned in an earlier comment). I havenā€™t had this issue come up since. not sure if Iā€™ll consider spending the coin on an upgraded rack and pinion - I think 74 weld has a setup a lot of people are interested in.

Thanks for everyoneā€™s helpful comments and hope someone can benefit from this

Buttercup.the.bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am on week 3 of this issue :( Currently driving a dealership Ford Ranger, which I am very thankful for. But I drove by the other day and they had mine parked out front in the overflow and I got pretty upset :( Looks like I should prepare for a longer wait :(
Sponsored