Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This happened to me around 15000 miles or so (don’t remember exactly). I didn’t think much of it at first as I was quite a ways from home, on a trip, and it wasn’t hindering drivability or steering response (yet). Once I got it into the shop, I was told “that sounds like a normal sound” to which I responded “the vehicle did not make this noise when I first got it” and then listed several things I noticed such as occasional failure to return to center and varying resistance in trying to turn the wheel (terrain irrelevant). They said they’d look into it.

Next day I get a call saying the steering gear was broken and needed to be replaced (that was my hunch and I told the tech that). Vehicle had been unsafe to drive (lol). Parts had been ordered and should arrive in 3-5 days.

About a week after dropping it off, I got it back and it felt brand new again - no issues since (18k miles now)

I haven’t done any hardcore crawling or anything that the vehicle shouldn’t be able to do with ease; it just failed on its own 🤷🏼‍♂️ I’ve not changed anything on the suspension, steering, wheels, or tires

Down the line I would like to upgrade the steering rack itself, but right now it’s so far from justifiable financially and just unnecessary for my trips that I can’t do it right now; other things must come first. If I could do HOSS 3.0 rack and get a warranty through Ford with it, I’d do that
This sounds exactly like my problem. I am glad I am not the only one. Yes, mine failed out of the blue as well. Good thing that your shop was able to get a part to get it fixed. I am not so lucky. Its seems all parts go to new cars and none to warranty repairs, so Ford can meet its quarterly sales numbers.
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What was the bronco doing when it failed? You lose steering or did you lose power steering only?

I am pretty sure its the steering rack and welcome to the club! I paid and fixed it myself in 2 weeks, ford is a much longer process.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm curious what exactly "steering gear" refers to? Did the housing on the passenger side fail? Did the rack jump a gear?
The whole rack (1) is the "Steering Gear"

Ford Bronco Steering Gear Broken 1687458456635

Since it's 1 part number, dealerships aren't going to tear them down to examine the specific failure of housing verses belt, In fact, I'd wager the majority of dealer techs don't even know there is a belt in there..

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The whole rack (1) is the "Steering Gear"

Ford Bronco Steering Gear Broken 1687458456635

Since it's 1 part number, dealerships aren't going to tear them down to examine the specific failure of housing verses belt, In fact, I'd wager the majority of dealer techs don't even know there is a belt in there..
Correct...serviced as an assembly. "Gear" and "Rack" are two terms for the same assembly (traditionally worm and sector type were "gear", and rack and pinion type were "Rack" but the term "gear" applies to all technically)

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This sounds exactly like my problem. I am glad I am not the only one. Yes, mine failed out of the blue as well. Good thing that your shop was able to get a part to get it fixed. I am not so lucky. Its seems all parts go to new cars and none to warranty repairs, so Ford can meet its quarterly sales numbers.
I’m sorry bud 😥 I hope Ford finds you a replacement rack and gets it shipped out to you asap. I can’t imagine being without it for as long as you have been already

Sponsored

OscarHTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

sorry this has happened and if this has been answered before but does the dealer provide a loaner or rental offset if this is your daily driver and you can’t drive it for months? How exactly do they expect people to get to work and not repair a vehicle for months at a time?

My mother in law took her Escape in for ROUGH idleing. The thing shook violently with around 35k miles.

Took the Ford dealer 3 months to figure out the issue. They couldn't get her into a rental until the week that her vehicle was ready and when she picked her Escape up, it was still driving rough. Rougher than a 35k mile car should.

And yes, that was her only vehicle.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Stuff like this is why I'm both upgrading my rack and keeping the old one for a spare. I could give the old one back to Ford for $400, but that seems like cheap insurance to have a spare rack ready to go if needed.

Sponsored

badlandscacti

Badlands
First Name
Monia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The steering gear of my ‘22 Bronco is broken afterwards only 6000 miles. This seems like a quite unusual issue. Has anyone had a similar problem? This is quite the safety issue!

And if this happen to be a known weak part, are there aftermarket replacements for the Ford power steering?

The worst part is that there are no spare parts from Ford to fix it. Had the Bronco at the dealership for 3 weeks and still no ETA for a spare part to fix the steering. Maybe anther month or more but no one can commit to any ETA it is all blames on supply chain issues, while new trucks roll off the production line every day to make sure the sales numbers are good for the investors. The message I get is that warranty repairs take a backseat to quarterly numbers.

Be careful with your Broncos. If anything breaks you might spend the summer in the shop. #supplychainissues
Any update on this? I’m legit in the same boat :( 2022 bronco badlands steering assist fault after 6,000 miles… literally turned it on with the alert popping up after trying to leave the grocery store parking lot. It’s been in the shop waiting on these parts since July 3rd. Not sure I have a lot of hope left or know exactly which way to go.

OP
OP
Tuco76

Tuco76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any update on this? I’m legit in the same boat :( 2022 bronco badlands steering assist fault after 6,000 miles… literally turned it on with the alert popping up after trying to leave the grocery store parking lot. It’s been in the shop waiting on these parts since July 3rd. Not sure I have a lot of hope left or know exactly which way to go.
Nope, no news on an available spare part yet. I really hope there is any summer left when Ford decides to make a part available. They sure have enough parts for the production line, but none for warranty repairs. I don’t think this is right. Yes, parts break. I get it. But this is going on for way to long.

badlandscacti

Badlands
First Name
Monia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn. I’m sorry. My dealership “emergency” ordered the part but I’m really not sure if that’ll help anything. Another service advisor from a different Ford shop told me that if there are aftermarket parts available that Ford should be able to put in a request to cover those if the Ford part has no ETA on backorder… I think this is a case by case basis though - some service centers are willing to go that direction and others will still make you wait. No loaner for me either. This is all making my blood boil.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Kinda why I decided to hang on to my spare rack. If I don’t need it, someone I know may.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope, no news on an available spare part yet. I really hope there is any summer left when Ford decides to make a part available. They sure have enough parts for the production line, but none for warranty repairs. I don’t think this is right. Yes, parts break. I get it. But this is going on for way to long.
I would check with a different dealership. If it is a steering racks they are available and in stock. Also just because you receive the steering default warning, it doesn’t mean your steering is damaged.
Sponsored