RON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018MUSTANG GT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No problem ill give you the 5k but i want my vehicle delivered by the middle of July 2021. You will discount said vehicle by this amount if you fail to deliver. I would like this in writing with the owners signature.
Sponsored

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm sure others have come to this conclusion, but here's what I think is going on:

Dealerships have just realized the crazy demand for these things and they have customers coming in asking for them. Their big spender customers, their golf buddies, their cousins and aunts and uncles and nephews are all calling too. "Hey, can you get me a Bronco? No, I don't have a reservation, but what can you do for me?"

The only thing they have that has any chance of getting built this year are all those early timestamp reservations that were made by people they don't know. So, what if they tacked on a ridiculously high down payment and pressured people to make a quick decision? How many of those people might back away from the deal, not knowing they can take their reservation somewhere else? You can bet there are a lot of people out there who don't know they have choices.

Is the customer going to cancel? Yes, but the dealership will likely offer to cancel it for them. But they won't - they'll build it to their specs and sell it to Aunt Jane. Or golf buddy John. Or that big spender who doesn't know any better than to spend $10K over MSRP on this "special deal" he got from his car dealer buddy.

I think they're also going to pressure people into "cancelling" so they can have stock on their lots, which they'll sell for exorbitant prices. Yeah, I know I'm cynical, but I was in sales for many years and I worked alongside plenty of opportunists. There are honest salespeople out there, but there are plenty of shysters, too.

The penalty from Ford is not enough to make dealerships not do this. There's way too much leeway, and they have not done a good enough job educating people who made reservations about the fact that they can change dealerships.