redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Geeze I’m sorry! That’s terrible! I was really hoping they figured out what exactly the problem is and would have at least given an upgraded part or fixed the leaking part…….I wonder at what point ford does a recall. How many miles are on this one? I’m getting a sinking feeling we are going to see more of this happening…….

Didn't I see 618's, aka Mae Pearl, font diff implode as well????
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes. Ashley's diff yeeted itself while she was driving coming to an abrupt halt. She and Mae Pearl are back up and running with the repair covered under warranty.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Geeze I’m sorry! That’s terrible! I was really hoping they figured out what exactly the problem is and would have at least given an upgraded part or fixed the leaking part…….I wonder at what point ford does a recall. How many miles are on this one? I’m getting a sinking feeling we are going to see more of this happening…….
Yepp, I am in Colorado and this has happened to a few people I wheel with who have Sasquatch on 37s. I’m still on the stock Sasquatch wheels and hoping mine doesn’t chew itself up someday, definitely makes you nervous. One guy has had it implode twice already. If you are curious for more in-depth info, feel free to join the Colorado Bronco Owners FB group and post about it. You will get a good bit of feedback.
Good luck!

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep, she’s been my emotional support person through this whole ordeal and thankfully had put my tech in touch with the tech that fixed her diff so he can figure out how to proceed. I’m glad she’s got Mae Pearl up and running again because I’m living vicariously through her trip postings on Instagram!

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yepp, I am in Colorado and this has happened to a few people I wheel with who have Sasquatch on 37s. I’m still on the stock Sasquatch wheels and hoping mine doesn’t chew itself up someday, definitely makes you nervous. One guy has had it implode twice already. If you are curious for more in-depth info, feel free to join the Colorado Bronco Owners FB group and post about it. You will get a good bit of feedback.
Good luck!
Awesome will do! Thanks! And best of luck to you also!

Sponsored

bobplastow

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Mustang, 66 F250, 22 Bronco, 18 Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No diagnosis on it yet. Waiting for local Ford dealership. Hopefully just a broken cv joint but there was a lot of grinding and clanging going on. I didnt see anything obvious from the oustisde, boot was fine and axle wasnt hanging or anything. I am thinking there was an issue from the factory as I have had a couple intermittent "service 4WD system" warnings that disappeared after a restart.
So, I finally got the diagnosis on my unit. Front differential being completely replaced. Dealership couldnt tell me what happened other than the front differential tore itself up and needs replaced. I am now waiting on parts. My bronco is 6 months old with about 7000 miles. I had done my first offroad trip with some easy to moderate trails in this rig last august. That was the only time I had used 4wd prior to this first snow I drove it in and the front differential tore itself apart. Really hoping it was just a defect vs design issue.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We need to treat dealers like the cops. Don’t say shit. You have the right to remain silent.
this is broken.
no where. No why. No how. They don’t need to know anything. They will just use it against you in a court of warranty.

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, I finally got the diagnosis on my unit. Front differential being completely replaced. Dealership couldnt tell me what happened other than the front differential tore itself up and needs replaced. I am now waiting on parts. My bronco is 6 months old with about 7000 miles. I had done my first offroad trip with some easy to moderate trails in this rig last august. That was the only time I had used 4wd prior to this first snow I drove it in and the front differential tore itself apart. Really hoping it was just a defect vs design issue.

Sorry this happened to you too ☹. One bright spot is that the part for the front differential shouldn’t take too long to be replaced. The part for my transfer case is on back order so I’m looking at two months without my rig by the time it comes in.

I will say that Ford customer service and the dealer have done right by me. There was no hesitation about replacing it under warranty on their end. Ford has offered me the extended warranty free of charge, will reimburse me for a rental or find me a loaner, escalated the part to ensure it arrives immediately when it’s off of back order, and is looking into making my car payment for the months I don’t have the vehicle in my possession. No complaints about how they are handling it so far……

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We need to treat dealers like the cops. Don’t say shit. You have the right to remain silent.
this is broken.
no where. No why. No how. They don’t need to know anything. They will just use it against you in a court of warranty.
I was just driving home from church.

Ford Bronco Imploded front diff and transfer case IMG_20221006_185615

I swear...

Sponsored

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hello all! Longtime member here, but more of a lurker than a poster. However, this weekend I’ve had to have my rig towed due to failed front diff and transfer case while off road.

A little background, black diamond, non SAS, 2.7, 10spd. No mods, about 20k miles. I’ve had the rig since November 2021 with nary a problem. Have done several light core off-road trips, multiple uses in 4h and 4l under less strenuous circumstances than I’m sure many of you have done.

This week, while on my way back from driving on a snowy forest service road, I stared hearing some heavy rotational clunking from the front drivers side. Of note I was moderately stuck in snow at one point and had to shovel out and air down, but was able to get it through with a few maneuvers while in 4h. Never did I gun the engine……..I thought maybe it was out of gear so I tried putting it back into 4h, 4l, 4A, and then again into 2h. It made the noise in all gears.

Now, I’m not a car person but it was definitely not a good noise. I hobbled the car the last two miles to the main road where I called ford and had it towed to the nearest dealer.
Side note: so far I’ve had a good experience with ford service, but I haven’t asked for a rental yet 😬
It will be covered under warranty

Tech calls me back the next day and tells me I have large metal shards in the front diff and the transfer case. It’s not drivable until he can get it fixed and he’s waiting to hear from ford. Then to find out yesterday, he can get the front diff in by end of week, but I’m waiting until Feb 15 for the transfer case 😕

I’ve searched the forum and found maybe 1 or two people who have had an issue with the front diff, but I know there’s got to be more. I guess I’m just looking for some reason this happened? Faulty part? Is ford aware? Is this an issue with the 10spd? Will my replacement part also eventually fail?

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight you can offer.

Here’s a few pics of me enjoying the rig over the last year prior to what’s happened. I’ve really loved the shit out of it up until now……

5353966D-E774-47A4-A964-31E3C5C2F906.jpeg
B28F1D7D-F20C-4522-BAF7-47931C633AF5.jpeg
C19348A8-7E82-4344-9DA6-8B6E6EB6D79E.jpeg
E2A801E6-383A-4595-B531-2F5E1EAF8FE4.jpeg
EF0C26BB-CAED-49EC-BC2D-3ABEAFCBE3DD.jpeg
Ahhhh, sounds like a lubricant failure.. There’s 80w90 from the factory and only a quart of fluid.. 20000 miles grinding on the metal and heat and all breaks loose.. Just an educated guess..