Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was on about a year ago with the exact same issue after driving in the snow. Was five miles out and had a transfer case failure. Well last week I was on another snow run, 4h (no, not on pavement) and when I got home I noticed a rotational clunking noise when in 2h. Took it in to the dealer (praying it was just the CV joint or a torn boot) and itā€™s the transfer case again.

For reference I have a 4dr 10spd 6cyl black diamond, non SAS. Zero aftermarket upgrades except the RTR grill. Just curious if anyone else has had the transfer case fail more than once. Fortunately they extended my warranty last time.

I mean Iā€™ve really put this thing through the paces, white rim trail in Moab, unimproved BLM land through Nevada, hairy roads in the lost sierras, and then one time in the snow Iā€™m out a transfer case again?

seeking advice or reassurance. Iā€™ve thought about asking for a buy back but with the current auto loan interest rates and increase in vehicle prices Iā€™m loathe to have to be in the market for a new car.
Sponsored

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whatā€™s the turnaround time on getting it repaired? Most black diamonds I see now are at about $50k minus $1-$2k under msrp. My badlands wasnā€™t even that much and I got mine Mar 2023. How much more did they extended warranty on first repair? Is current mileage way past buying extended warranty from Granger or Flood Ford?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was on about a year ago with the exact same issue after driving in the snow. Was five miles out and had a transfer case failure. Well last week I was on another snow run, 4h (no, not on pavement) and when I got home I noticed a rotational clunking noise when in 2h. Took it in to the dealer (praying it was just the CV joint or a torn boot) and itā€™s the transfer case again.

For reference I have a 4dr 10spd 6cyl black diamond, non SAS. Zero aftermarket upgrades except the RTR grill. Just curious if anyone else has had the transfer case fail more than once. Fortunately they extended my warranty last time.

I mean Iā€™ve really put this thing through the paces, white rim trail in Moab, unimproved BLM land through Nevada, hairy roads in the lost sierras, and then one time in the snow Iā€™m out a transfer case again?

seeking advice or reassurance. Iā€™ve thought about asking for a buy back but with the current auto loan interest rates and increase in vehicle prices Iā€™m loathe to have to be in the market for a new car.
Did the dealer mention what in particular broke the first time and this time?

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Whatā€™s the turnaround time on getting it repaired? Most black diamonds I see now are at about $50k minus $1-$2k under msrp. My badlands wasnā€™t even that much and I got mine Mar 2023. How much more did they extended warranty on first repair? Is current mileage way past buying extended warranty from Granger or Flood Ford?
The first time they were waiting on the part for almost three weeks. No ETA on the new transfer case this time yet.

as far as warranty, they extended it to 72k. Iā€™m asking that given the failed transfer case happened again they should extend to 100k. I guess Iā€™m happy to drive the car if they want to keep replacing my transfer case under warranty. My hope is that itā€™s only happening in snow so maybe by the time my 100k warranty expires I either trade it in at that time or theyā€™ve hopefully redesigned the part not to failā€¦ā€¦

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Itā€™s the Advanced 4x4. Having some regrets about that now šŸ˜‘ā€¦ā€¦
I would love to crack open that transfer case, but alas... ain't gonna happen.

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would love to crack open that transfer case, but alas... ain't gonna happen.
Iā€™d happily give it to you if I could. Ford is so secretive I have a feeling Iā€™ll never know whatā€™s happening to it

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And here I was about to upgrade to an old man emu suspension/lift kit and 35ā€ takeoffs. Looks like Iā€™ll have to go ford performance for lift now if I want to go that route so I donā€™t risk voiding my warranty

Iā€™m such a sucker šŸ˜©

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry to hear this happened again. I'm reaching for straws, but do you think that snow/ice is accumulating against the transfer case and the skid plate causing abnormal temperature variances? I have no idea. Hope you get fixed up soon. Push for the extension on the warranty.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hi, how many miles did you have on the transfer case when in failed, and how many miles since it was repaired ? And did you change the transfer case fluid since you originally bought it? The fluid change is the focus..

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And here I was about to upgrade to an old man emu suspension/lift kit and 35ā€ takeoffs. Looks like Iā€™ll have to go ford performance for lift now if I want to go that route so I donā€™t risk voiding my warranty

Iā€™m such a sucker šŸ˜©
The FP Bilstein lift is an upgrade, but of course there is the FP tax. Had it recently installed on mine.

K76Husker

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2023 MT, SAS, Badlands with 5k miles and the transmission went out pulling out of my driveway. Dealer says they have to replace transmission and transfer case. Wonā€™t tell me why it failed but put me in a 2020 ecosport from enterprise that smells like a dirty sock with burn holes in the seats for the next two weeks. Ford says they donā€™t care that I waited 19 months for my order or that I paid 60k. Family was suppose to be taking a trip to warmer weather this weekend but canā€™t even fit in the damn car.

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi, how many miles did you have on the transfer case when in failed, and how many miles since it was repaired ? And did you change the transfer case fluid since you originally bought it? The fluid change is the focus..
20k miles at the first failure, just reached 37k miles at the second. I have asked them to change the diff fluid and they brushed me off, said it wasnā€™t due yet. Iā€™d change it myself if I was at all mechanically inclinedā€¦ā€¦I am not
Sponsored