Sponsored

In LOVE with the Bronco! Want to leave car...

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I once heard someone call the Camry “Soul Sucking Camry” and I immediately said to myself “yes! yes! that’s exactly how i felt getting in that thing everyday for years - hadn’t thought about it, but that phrase fit so perfectly! Now I smile every time I get in my base Sasquatch soft top. I didn’t realize a vehicle could be so fun!
The Camry is soul sucking, but gas sipping. The Bronco is gas sucking, but soul sipping.
Sponsored

Kerney

Outer Banks
First Name
Kerney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Miata SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The OP is putting about 20k miles/ year with a 38 mile commute each way. You are destroying the value of any car just in depreciation so why not destroy a cheap/ more fuel efficient car. Let's assume a new bronco is 55k OTD so that is his budget... keep the 24k civic and you have 30k for a used bronco or wrangler. Or sell the civic and buy something cheaper and more fun....miata, FoST (focus St), FiST (fiesta), brz/gr86, (all manuals) etc.... then up the budget for the used bronco. You have two vastly different fun cars.

Spending 55k on a bronco that in 5 years will have 100k and be worth $20k (guessing) just hurts...that's about $600/ month lost...vs buying a 15k used car that depreciates to 5k.... the bronco would then only get 3-5 k miles per year and last forever.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Spending 55k on a bronco that in 5 years will have 100k and be worth $20k (guessing) just hurts...that's about $600/ month lost...vs buying a 15k used car that depreciates to 5k.... the bronco would then only get 3-5 k miles per year and last forever.
You are totally not wrong. Everything you say here makes perfect sense

But

In my case, I’m getting older. I can make more money. The one thing I can’t make is more time.

So long as it doesn’t put you in an irresponsibly disastrous financial situation, having fun and making the most of the time you have is more important to me. In almost no case does a Bronco make good financial sense no matter how you look at it.

But if you are neglecting feeding your family or it’s just a matter of time before you get it repo’ed because you overextended - then yeah. It’s not a blank check to be irresponsible - just that there is more to life than money.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The OP is putting about 20k miles/ year with a 38 mile commute each way. You are destroying the value of any car just in depreciation so why not destroy a cheap/ more fuel efficient car. Let's assume a new bronco is 55k OTD so that is his budget... keep the 24k civic and you have 30k for a used bronco or wrangler. Or sell the civic and buy something cheaper and more fun....miata, FoST (focus St), FiST (fiesta), brz/gr86, (all manuals) etc.... then up the budget for the used bronco. You have two vastly different fun cars.

You are totally not wrong. Everything you say here makes perfect sense

But

In my case, I’m getting older. I can make more money. The one thing I can’t make is more time.

So long as it doesn’t put you in an irresponsibly disastrous financial situation, having fun and making the most of the time you have is more important to me. In almost no case does a Bronco make good financial sense no matter how you look at it.

But if you are neglecting feeding your family or it’s just a matter of time before you get it repo’ed because you overextended - then yeah. It’s not a blank check to be irresponsible - just that there is more to life than money.
Both of these points make sense. Being one of the few people here with a 6g Bronco with almost 100k miles, the mileage doesn't matter to me because I have no interest or intent in selling it before I pass away... And I am only 57.

In my case, yes, I purchased at $50k Bronco and I have been using every bit of it. Every mile is another mile of value that I have enjoyed. That said, I was offered $27k for it last week (although some dealers here in Pensacola said that they could do better). I checked for the humor value. I am not destroying the value of the vehicle at all, but I am consuming and decreasing its value, it was making my commute of 350 miles each way more enjoyable and less stressful every weekend.

I have also gone the other way, when in 2015, I purchased a used fleet truck. My 2011 F-150 std cab XL HDPP 3.5 Ecoboost long bed was $10k and that included the TommyLift. It also had 140k miles, it's been a great truck, but it doesn't have power windows, power locks, heated seats, adaptive cruise control, etc. It is no where near as comfy to take a roadside nap in. At 250k miles, I am probably ready to sell it.

The point is that there is no wrong answer. I don't regret either purchase, and when my Bronco is finally out of warranty (150k miles), I won't feel like I wasted my money. I will have an off-roader that has minimal resale value and can be wheeled just as hard (if not harder) as the day I bought it.

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Or sell the civic and buy something cheaper and more fun....miata, FoST (focus St), FiST (fiesta), brz/gr86, (all manuals) etc.... then up the budget for the used bronco. You have two vastly different fun cars.
This. Add the GTI to the list. AWESOME traction control. With snows, it was my winter driver commuting to work on a mtn that has seen as much as 1,192” of snow in one year.

Sponsored

Jason519

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hello All,

I highly desire a Bronco. Either a BD or OXB trim. I currently own a 2022 Honda Civic. The seats are very uncomfortable after my long commute to and from work. 38 miles and 1 hour commute time. And this car sits so damn low!

I live in the midwest, and the winters are brutal. The Civic slides all over. The only thing this car has going for itself is the mpg. I'm averaging 30 to 32 mpg.

I am 40 years old, Male. I never about anything nice or cool for myself. Man I would love a Bronco especially for the winter.

Would it be idiotic to let the Civic go and get me a Bronco?

Thank you!
Yes if you can afford it go for it I have 50 k on mine not even 2 years drive it daily 45 minutes one way to work been on a 5000 mile loop to yellow stone and back

IMG_8823.jpeg

MaxtheMonster

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Gas mileage wasn’t even a consideration for me. Love the way it drives and looks. It’s a pavement princess for the most part and when on the pavement it’s always in “sport” mode.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So @ASS_FIN_DIR ... what's the outcome??? You suposedly test drove one and then crickets!

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Sponsored

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Anyone calling themselves an ass finder, wouldn't know what to do with one, once they find it - no matter what he is referring to as an 'ass'.

OP
OP

ASS_FIN_DIR

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So @ASS_FIN_DIR ... what's the outcome??? You suposedly test drove one and then crickets!
Sup my Ninja. It's a NO GO on the Bronco. The OTD price was beyond shitting the bed, financially. The butt monkey of salesman did NOT want to negotiate price, nor his damn manager. I wasted 3 hours haggling with those f*ckers.

With my A-1 credit, those blood suckers wanted to charge me a apr of 8.5%! Although, my credit union got me at 5.5%!

SO NO, I cannot quote Brennan in the whole" making bank and wanting to get ass" fiasco!

Oh, and for the Civic, those sons of bitches wanted KBB Value, which was LOWER than Carmax. Ford was willing to give me $23.5K, I paid 28.5K OTD for the Civic.