In-person thoughts from a fence-sitter & outdoorsman

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I went to a dealership event today in Springfield VA. First off, it was a great event, laid back, no pressure at all and not too many people. I highly recommend attending an event if you can. I saw a 4 Door Silver Badlands, 2.3 with manual tranny and a 4 door Antimatter Black Diamond Sasquatch 2.7 both with soft tops (the same two making their way up the eastern seaboard).

My first vehicle was an 82 Ford Bronco so I have always had a soft spot for them and am super excited that they are back. I have owned a wrangler, Chevy 1500, F150 and now drive a Power Wagon, my wife drives a camry. We tend to keep our vehicles a long time and are not tied to any manufacturer and just try to pick the best vehicle for us. I camp, hunt and fish in the mountains/backcountry a lot (bird dogs in tow) and have moderate experience off-roading, but am by no means an expert and haven’t done any super extreme trails. We are in no hurry to buy, but probably looking at a 1-3 year window to purchase something.

They exterior and stance look absolutely incredible in person! I immediately gravitated towards the BD Squatch. They both looked good, but the Squatch looked incredible. I wouldn’t personally go with antimatter due to pin stripes and dirt, but cleaned up the color looks amazing. If you are someone that stays mostly on road and keeps a clean vehicle give it a real look! The stature of the Squatch was noticeably better than the Badlands. Wheels, tires, hood, grill, all excellent. These are damn fine looking vehicles!

I don’t know what trims each had, but I didn’t notice any significant difference in interior quality between BL and BD. Both had Marine Grad Vinyl and washout floors. As an outdoorsman, I really like the washout floors, it is some kind of squishy rubber material and feels very nice and easy to clean up mud and snow. The step up was not bad at all even in the squatch, much less than my PW on stock 33s. The seats in the bronco were very comfy. I’m 6’ 3” 190lbs (34” inseam) and I worry that my head would touch on a hard top, but I had a couple inches to spare in the soft tops. I have wide shoulders and didn’t feel constrained at all, but could see how it would be a problem if you were a big ol boy.

I put the driver seat as far back as it would go and it had plenty of leg room for me to drive comfortably, but I felt like the steering wheel was still a bit too close, but maybe it telescopes in some. I am sorry to say no arm hang out the window of a 4 door with the B pillar placement. The marine grade vinyl is nice. Not as nice as leather in new Ford and Ram trucks, but way better than I expected. It is way softer than most boat seats, so don’t be scared by calling it marine grade. If it holds up, then zero complaints from me on the material. There is a TON of plastic in the dash and it’s very simple, clean design and looks utilitarian. Again, as long as it holds up, no complaints, but it is a far cry from what you get these days in a high end F150 or in my Ram PW. It compares well with my wife’s no frills camry except for the big screen. If you come from driving a newer moderate to higher end truck/SUV, then the dash and interior will probably be a bit of a disappointment. Plastic, plastic, GIANT SCREEN and more plastic is the theme. I wouldn’t call anything cheap, but I wouldn’t call it premium either. Maybe once the vehicle is started with the screens running it would feel a bit higher end. Utilitarian to average would probably be my description of the dash. The grab handle had some play, the console and glovebox were small and just ok. Exterior got an A+, the Interior gets a solid B, unfortunately the rear gets a C from me and here is why: I tried sitting in the back seat with the driver seat all the way back and my knees just barely touched. I didn’t play around with the recline settings too much, but I felt the rear seats sat very straight. If it doesn’t recline more than I was able to get it to do, then I can see the rear seats being quite uncomfortable on longer trips for any adult. There was carpet on the back of both bronco rear seats despite the MGV and washout floors, which makes zero sense to me and will be a magnet for dog hair. My biggest complaints centers around the rear cargo area. I believe the rear hatch strut is going to fail rather quickly and it was already feeling odd from the weight of the squatch tire. It had a noticeable rattle when closed and I imagine you will hear that when driving. Personal preference here, but no tailgate is a big miss for me. There just isn’t much cargo room so a tailgate would be very useful. The rear hatch latch box takes up a few inches of the already extremely limited space. The rear seats cause about a 4 inch lip from the back deck and don’t allow for a lay flat floor so your usable space doesn’t improve much with the seats folded down. No idea where I could fit two dog kennels. The rear seats don’t appear to be removeable (wish there was a delete option). The rear cargo area is considerably less wide than I was hoping for and there is a ton of flex in the plastic wall material. There are hooks in the floor but it is such a small space the items you strap in would have to be quite small. I would absolutely plan on using a roof rack, cargo hitch or tow a trailer for even a short weekend hunting/camping outings and forget about long term hunting/camping trips without extra cargo capacity somewhere. This is especially magnified if you have dogs or kids. I felt like the bronco looks big from the outside, but the rear cargo area feels small. There is no way I could comfortably sleep in it, which is disappointing for those of us who camp a lot.

The engine bay looked good, with more room to work than I anticipated. This is good if you are mechanically inclined, especially with the 2.3 engine. I loved all the screws and mounting points, they seem very well thought out for easy additions for all kinds of accessories. The skid plates and armor looked good, but I didn’t crawl under or look at metal thickness or anything.

Someone from the peanut gallery, behind the roped off area that apparently forgot to register for the event was lightly heckling one of the bronco crew inquiring about why there was no coyote engine option. As a fellow naturally aspirated engine lover, I got quite a kick out of it, so kudos to whichever one of you that was!

Overall, I left there very impressed but not blown away. Ford did a great job coming out of the gates but still left some room for improvement. I of course still need to drive it and I need to see how much head room I have with a hardtop to make a truly informed opinion. If I was buying solely based on what I saw today, I would think real hard about going with a BD or lower trim with squatch, but admittedly I don’t know what trim the badlands was and I haven’t seen a FE or Wildtrack so maybe there are better/higher end interiors out there that weren’t displayed today.

I am glad I have some time to weigh my decision. I want to see if Ford can improve upon the rear cargo area to maximize the limited cargo area and maybe polish up the interior a touch. I am a bit intrigued about what the warthog may bring, but left really wanting to see a full size bronco on the F150 platform to provide more room for outdoorsman, like I remember my ’82 ford bronco offering. I can’t wait to drive the Bronco and as soon as I do all my fence sitting may go away and I may be hooked immediately, like I was when I first drove my PW. I highly recommend seeing the Bronco in person, it is very unique and there are not a lot of similar sized vehicles are out there. The best vehicle I can compare it is a slightly smaller FJ cruiser or slightly larger wrangler, with the FJ being the closer comparison. Not a ton of new info, but hope it helps a few of the hardcore hunters/fisherman/outdoorsman that haul a bunch of gear in the woods/mountains throughout the year.
Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome review, thank you!

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice review. I am in the same boat as you about. I'm not in a rush, mostly cause I'm not rich. But also wish it had a lil more room inside to compare to my 2 door 96. If they had gone with a shorter narrowed on the outside full size platform I may have had to be in a lil more rush. But as is like you I am waiting for them to sort some things out and make it a lil more perfect even if it has a original design flaw.

Husker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Now that’s the kind of review I like to read... well done sir!

A theme is starting to expose itself concerning the cheapness in the cabin. The good news is Ford has eyes in this forum.

Last edited:

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice review- thanks for writing it. I am glad I am going Sas Base. I suspected the stance, exterior looks would be killer. It will have plenty of room for me and my basic fishing gear in retirement.

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great review, I have just a couple follow up questions.
1)Do you think it’s possible to fit or have something made to fit two medium sized kennels? I have two 55lb bird dogs

2) is AMB any bluer in person or is it really dark all the time?

Sponsored
OP
OP

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Great review, I have just a couple follow up questions.
1)Do you think it’s possible to fit or have something made to fit two medium sized kennels? I have two 55lb bird dogs

2) is AMB any bluer in person or is it really dark all the time?
My bird dogs are right in that 55 pound range and I wish I had measured my kennels before going to know for sure. My best guess is that two standard medium sized kennels won't quite fit. The latch mechanism on the swig gate eats up some space. So even if they just fit side by side The latch may get in the way. If you have a bigger dogs like labs or big GSPs then I don't see anyway you are getting two large kennels in the back.

I think something like would work for medium sized dogs. https://www.easyloaderkennels.com/products/deuce

I'm sure there are is a thread or two with exact dimensions. Even if you find kennels to fit, you also have to get all your other gear: cooler, guns, boots, clothes, recovery gear, first aid kit, tent, sleeping bag etc. It's perhaps doable if you use the rear seat and plan carefully, but it would be so much better if the rear seat laid flat with the floor or was removable.

The pictures are pretty true to actual on the AMB. It's a very dark color, almost black but does have a hint of blue.

OP
OP

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...epth-width-plus-molle-panel-dimensions.13968/

This thread says rear cargo area is 30x42. That dual kennel I posted is 30.75x42, so it may be just too big in depth due to the latch. It's close enough to perhaps try in person but that's the shortest dual kennel I've found to date so may have to get something custom made. The hump and the latch just kill the useable space.

harperrb

Wildtrak
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Silver BD was a Lux Package and the AMB was a Mid Package.

As others have noted, the 2021 is not a full sized suv. That seems to be a constant disappointment for full size (and super duty) drivers. Compared to Jeep, it's equivalent with various trade-offs.

The reason MGV is not in the back of the rear seats is because if MGV will scratch and tear against metal/wood and sharp objects when they're in the down position and used as an extension of the bed.

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My bird dogs are right in that 55 pound range and I wish I had measured my kennels before going to know for sure. My best guess is that two standard medium sized kennels won't quite fit. The latch mechanism on the swig gate eats up some space. So even if they just fit side by side The latch may get in the way. If you have a bigger dogs like labs or big GSPs then I don't see anyway you are getting two large kennels in the back.

I think something like would work for medium sized dogs. https://www.easyloaderkennels.com/products/deuce

I'm sure there are is a thread or two with exact dimensions. Even if you find kennels to fit, you also have to get all your other gear: cooler, guns, boots, clothes, recovery gear, first aid kit, tent, sleeping bag etc. It's perhaps doable if you use the rear seat and plan carefully, but it would be so much better if the rear seat laid flat with the floor or was removable.

The pictures are pretty true to actual on the AMB. It's a very dark color, almost black but does have a hint of blue.
Sorry for the delayed response, thanks for the info! I’m thinking about fabercating the dog boxes. So hopefully there is enough room without dropping the back seats for me to squeeze in the pups. I currently have two GWPS, I hope I can get something to work without folding up the back seat.
that big latch mechanism is a bit concerning...
Can’t wait to pst some pictures.... maybe in July😎👍

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The reason MGV is not in the back of the rear seats is because if MGV will scratch and tear against metal/wood and sharp objects when they're in the down position and used as an extension of the bed.
The problem isn’t wanting MGV on the seat backs the problem is they used carpeting. Rubber, vinyl, or hard plastic would have been a better choice.
Sponsored