Sponsored

Insurance question (For Broncos damaged during shipping)

Octaviostyle

Raptor
First Name
dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yugo
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So a windshield from a car being towed on a flat bed became dislodged and landed on my 6 month old bronco. damaged the grill, left headlight, hood, broke window. The hood was repainted, grill was also replaced with new one. Windshield was replaced but it doesn't say OEM on that line. My question is this. does a OEM windshield have any special markings? Also noticed the invoice was approved for a new left headlight and the body shop ordered a used one. The last line in the final bill says mark up and their is a charge of $212. when I add the cost of the used light and the mark up. it totals to what a brand new headlamp cost. should I demand a new headlight or refund the $212 as I consider that theft as they are not selling me the parts. just ordering them and installing them. How should I handle this as I never been in any accidents and never had to deal with any body shops. This shop is the shop the dealership sends its broncos damaged during shipping to get repaired. they had 7 broncos when I went to see them. that's why I decided to go with them. since they have experience working on broncos.
Sponsored

AceGoliath

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX SAS , 22 Maverick XLT, 10 Fusion SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not sure about the headlight question, but for the windshield. Does it have the Bronco Est. 1966 right above the VIN and the two accessory ready markings below the light bar/rail brackets?

D4D33C31-70F6-4188-A8BB-4A729B5B1B3E.jpeg

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Typically you don’t get much say in which parts are used because it depends on the agreement between the insurance company and the body shop. That said, I do know most body shops will try to use new OEM parts because… honestly… they’re easier to work with. So if they didn’t, it is either because they were too expensive and the insurance company didn’t want to pay. Or… more likely than not… because new OEM parts were on backorder, so they opted for used parts to get your Bronco to you sooner.

Some insurance plans do offer an “OEM parts” add-on package that will force the body shop to use new OEM parts if at all possible, but that add-on package is generally speaking a waste of money, since that’s usually what body shops go for anyway.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

your Dec page on your policy should tell you the oem/aftermarket/recycled part requirements

the used headlight on your bronco is a recycled headlight and it was to replace a used assembly

and the same thing on windshields

but I believe the poster above is correct you can get OEM rider iirc

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just from my days when I had a gun store and the sun smith would order parts he would add a charge to the cost of the parts to cover his time, etc in ordering them. The difference would be he would show the customer the cost of the parts but he got a discount that they were unaware of. In your case it appears they just put that markup as a separate item on the invoice.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It is not so much the body shop as it is your insurance policy other than the markup for what the used would have cost if new. If you, or your insurance company, is paying the price of new then new you should get

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So a windshield from a car being towed on a flat bed became dislodged and landed on my 6 month old bronco. damaged the grill, left headlight, hood, broke window. The hood was repainted, grill was also replaced with new one. Windshield was replaced but it doesn't say OEM on that line. My question is this. does a OEM windshield have any special markings? Also noticed the invoice was approved for a new left headlight and the body shop ordered a used one. The last line in the final bill says mark up and their is a charge of $212. when I add the cost of the used light and the mark up. it totals to what a brand new headlamp cost. should I demand a new headlight or refund the $212 as I consider that theft as they are not selling me the parts. just ordering them and installing them. How should I handle this as I never been in any accidents and never had to deal with any body shops. This shop is the shop the dealership sends its broncos damaged during shipping to get repaired. they had 7 broncos when I went to see them. that's why I decided to go with them. since they have experience working on broncos.
My insurance (Geico) told me they replace windshields with OEM for the first year only.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you dealing with your own insurance company or the other driver's? If it's your own, you can ask but don't have much leverage. If it's the other driver's, and a different insurance company than your own, it can be a little easier to work with as it is a small cost to them for you to go ahead and sign the settlement and for them to clear the claim.

OP
OP

Octaviostyle

Raptor
First Name
dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yugo
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Are you dealing with your own insurance company or the other driver's? If it's your own, you can ask but don't have much leverage. If it's the other driver's, and a different insurance company than your own, it can be a little easier to work with as it is a small cost to them for you to go ahead and sign the settlement and for them to clear the claim.
I'm dealing with my own insurance company. Their commercial insurance company. All communications are done via email and automated. So it's impossible to get ahold of anyone and speak to them. After 5 email attempts in 30 days. I decided to go thru my insurance and have them deal with their insurance.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m more amazed they can actually find a “ used” Bronco part.

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm dealing with my own insurance company. Their commercial insurance company. All communications are done via email and automated. So it's impossible to get ahold of anyone and speak to them. After 5 email attempts in 30 days. I decided to go thru my insurance and have them deal with their insurance.
Perhaps you should first send a registered letter with return receipt. Then, I would contact your State Insurance Board.

d_bearhugs

Base
First Name
Dani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m more amazed they can actually find a “ used” Bronco part.
Its probably from the white one that stupidly got stuck in the water.

Joer

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bunch of BMWs, M5, 135i, x5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Being in the automotive business I’ve seen body shops do this, they get approved and paid for a new OEM part from the insurance company and then either repair the part in question/install a used or aftermarket part and keep the difference.

margins could be very thin in body work especially considering the rising cost of automotive paint and supplies. Insurance companies can nickel and dime pretty badly and I think the body shops that do this kind of thing see it as they are taking advantage of the insurance company and not so much the customer who 99% of the time is none the wiser.
Sponsored