Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco & 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was in the process of ordering a new bumper when I had a fender bender/destroyed bumper accident. Anyone ever had luck getting the adjuster to not order a part in favor of an aftermarket part? And or had the body shop agree to install said aftermarket part?
Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I was in the process of ordering a new bumper when I had a fender bender/destroyed bumper accident. Anyone ever had luck getting the adjuster to not order a part in favor of an aftermarket part? And or had the body shop agree to install said aftermarket part?
Sure, The insurance company just cut me a check and I made up the difference with the body shop...BUT I held the title. I did not have a lien holder in the middle.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sure, The insurance company just cut me a check and I made up the difference with the body shop...BUT I held the title. I did not have a lien holder in the middle.
I haven't gone through this with a car, but did once with a motorcycle. I got a damage quote at the dealer and the insurance company gave me a check. I was able to buy whatever I wanted to repair it. Aftermarket pipes were both less expensive and gave significantly better power.

I would be asking the insurance adjuster about it.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, I have done it several times and have always received the check for any insurance claim (home or auto). The body shop will order what you want. They don't care if they are installing an aftermarket bumper, hood, etc.

615_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2D BL, SAS, MT, & 2015 F-350 DRW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just tell the shop which bumper you want.

Sponsored

Carnutdallas

Heritage
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Plaid, Duramax Suburban, Ferrari F355
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Should get a new OEM bumper written on the estimate. I would not accept an aftermarket at all on a new model vehicle. Insurance companies do not order parts, they just price out what they think they owe and you have a say in that. You tell the shop, you will provide the part you want and style. You will have to pay the difference in labor and cost depending on what is involved. You work that out with the repair facility. The carriers owe what you had pre-accident. Make sure you get all your money for a proper OEM repair. Then, as stated you work out what you really want with the shop. If they are not willing to work with you, then you are at the wrong shop. They will and should charge more for labor though.

I own a shop in Plano, TX and deal with this all the time, well my estimators and staff do. Never really an issue if communication and expectations set early on. Happy New Year!

Bluovlfan

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep. The body shop just had to submit an appearance allowance to the insurance company. Although they only give you a percentage of oem part value.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Should get a new OEM bumper written on the estimate. I would not accept an aftermarket at all on a new model vehicle. Insurance companies do not order parts, they just price out what they think they owe and you have a say in that. You tell the shop, you will provide the part you want and style. You will have to pay the difference in labor and cost depending on what is involved. You work that out with the repair facility. The carriers owe what you had pre-accident. Make sure you get all your money for a proper OEM repair. Then, as stated you work out what you really want with the shop. If they are not willing to work with you, then you are at the wrong shop. They will and should charge more for labor though.

I own a shop in Plano, TX and deal with this all the time, well my estimators and staff do. Never really an issue if communication and expectations set early on. Happy New Year!
So in Texas you can demand oem?

here in Louisiana on the Dec page it states what the repair policies are

The most cost effective parts to return to pre loss condition and you absolutely can not make them use OEM

615_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2D BL, SAS, MT, & 2015 F-350 DRW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gotta check your policy for OEM/aftermarket part usage.
Depends on the state and carriers.
A lot of companies are using a 2 model years or newer and/or a mileage limit for OE parts.

Carnutdallas

Heritage
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Plaid, Duramax Suburban, Ferrari F355
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I can’t speak to Louisiana…. But someone hit you? I am not about to get less than when I did not cause the damage. If it is your policy, then you agreed to the terms. But hard to find Aftermarket on new Bronco that fit and work. I always buy the OEM replacement rider as well.

OP
OP
BluebroncoNC

BluebroncoNC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco & 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The repair shop's initial answer to my request was, "no we won't put aftermarket bumper on... because we warranty our work for 2 years." I replied, fine, then leave the bumper off... The tune of the initial service tech quickly changed to, "let me talk to our manager". I looked at their initial findings of damage Saturday and I saw why. 2/3'ds of the estimate was dealing with the bumper, $1,200 worth.
Sponsored