Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First ford I've owned so no past experience with it being an issue.

Bar's not too high - my last big purchase, which was my first house - had a foundation that epically failed on us after a year and it started with cracks. So seeing weird gaps on my Bronco is striking a bit of a chord with me 😅 of course the structural integrity is compromised lol
Structural integrity is good on the Bronco, I'm certain as long as we aren't too concerned about the 2.7.....😬.
Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My non-offroad Mustang has a horrible panel alignment and interior trim fuckery too.
How dare you remove some of my quote!!!

Kmcran

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My non-offroad Mustang has a horrible panel alignment and interior trim fuckery too. Typical Ford QC at its finest.
my mustang which looked identical to yours was the same way lol

bbacon05

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't help you with the exterior gaps, but I can tell you mine has all those exact same interior gaps. The one over the door almost looks like they designed it that way, not sure why though

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m guessing the interior panels are this way to allow a little movement. This is a body on frame vehicle after all and it will flex a little bit

Sponsored

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Fit and finish were never a ford thing. You might have set the bar a little too high for an offroad vehicle
Every single Flex came from the factory with a wonky sunglasses holder. If someone notices, i just shrug and say "It's a Ford".
At least it feels nicer than the counterfeit plastic GM uses.

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold 😥), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The taillights gap is a known issue. I've seen reports on here of them popping off. The one I remember most occurred while the owner was at one of the Supercel events.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I Think you have your answer, pretty much.
Mine is comparable interior-wise, and I never expected precise even gaps in the interior plastics.
Probably designed with a bit of gap there in the recessed flange fitment for flex and movement.
Just remember that these vehicles are designed to go offroad and do some twisty stuff.
With an open roof design there is a high potential for flexing and movement of a lot of things. Engineered-in relief, if you will.

Had they butted all of the panels up super tightly, there would definitely be creaking and popping to the point it would drive us all crazy with "What is wrong with my Bronco, why does it sound like this?" Probably even cover panels popping loose, where we would all summarily lose our minds questioning the build quality.

Personally I would not sweat it and am not surprised to see it. Mine is the same and honestly, I've never second-guessed it or worried about it. Seems on-par with what the vehicle is and what it was made for.

Can't tell from the taillight pics what is going on badly there.
Taking it in for some questions and feedback won't hurt.

Bronck

Base
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Those gaps are there so that when you Baja jump your Bronco they will give

Seatmandan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '11 Ford Edge, '10 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
6 weeks in, 1100 miles, absolutely loving it so far.

Except my OCD has a few words on a couple of things 👀

Noticed this about 2 weeks after delivery and am taking it to my dealer's body shop to get fixed next week. Pics are hard, but basically the body isn't flush above the passenger tail light.

Good side:

20220310_174245.jpg

Bad side:
20220310_174254.jpg

Once I had the keen eye for weird (hopefully) cosmetic issues, I noticed this inside:
20220310_174130.jpg

The interior panels aren't flush above either side 😵

And the seams on the back pillar are also leaving a lot to be desired:
20220310_174148.jpg

20220310_174159.jpg

20220310_174137.jpg

Has anyone else noticed similar issues with their interior? The reason this thread has this title is because holy hell there's a rattle I cannot track down. I don't think it's the same soft top rattle there have been other threads on and I'm definitely planning on taking it all the way off then back on when it warms up this weekend to see if it helps. Going over rough asphalt (which we have a lot of in CO) throws it around a bit more than I would expect, side to side lite thrashing and I'm a tad concerned that there's more vibration than there ought to be. I get it's an off road rig and the issues are probably unrelated, just seeing if anyone else has these weird fitment issues.

20220310_174130.jpg
In interior trim engineering, Tolerance stack-ups are designed around other tolerance stack-ups, which mostly consist of build variations of the entire systems of parts. In roof system (parts above beltline), the "slip-joints" created where the plastic trim parts meet are larger than the typical interior because of the "roll-cage" body structure design- it flexes and twists more than a typical "roofed" vehicle, therefore the parts need to "breathe" The other consideration is build tolerances on the boron steel "roll-frame" that the plastic parts attach to.

Sincerely,

Interior trim engineer

OP
OP
annieVonBebop

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In interior trim engineering, Tolerance stack-ups are designed around other tolerance stack-ups, which mostly consist of build variations of the entire systems of parts. In roof system (parts above beltline), the "slip-joints" created where the plastic trim parts meet are larger than the typical interior because of the "roll-cage" body structure design- it flexes and twists more than a typical "roofed" vehicle, therefore the parts need to "breathe" The other consideration is build tolerances on the boron steel "roll-frame" that the plastic parts attach to.
This is the kind of answer I was hoping for, thank you! I've never had a convertible, let alone one the size of a mini tank and this all makes perfect sense even though I hadn't considered it.
Sponsored