First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 07 F150, 73 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those pre-phaser 5.4s are anything but garbage. We had a Super Duty shop truck with the 2V 5.4 go well over 400K, and it still ran like a top but the body and box were rusty beyond the point of being safe. It was used and abused, but maintained.
My 2007 F-150 just hit 340k, and it has the 3v 5.4L with the ticking cam phasers. Heck I didn't replace the original timing chain till 308k miles (probably should have done it sooner). As others have said, doing your preventative maint is the key regardless of manufacturer.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s not a Land Cruiser but we can hope. I think the engine can go over 300k miles, I would be much more concerned with the electronics/modules and the cost to replace/repair those when needed

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Start with changing all your driveline fluids ( Front differential, transfer case, and rear differential). Once you are over 25k, get the transmission fluid changed.. Changing motor oil between 4000-5000 miles is the best.. a drop in K&N air filter and PVC/ catch can will contribute to longevity.
Each of the above contributes to various benefits that work together.. 🤓

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Over time I've had great luck with engines, but rotten luck with automatic transmissions. So my vote would be watch that trans, change the fluid at decent intervals, and keep the temps down.

Personally with all the WFH in my field (IT) and less driving, I'm more concerned with impact of repeated short distance driving and rust belt corrosion related issues in the longer term.

Sponsored

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im certain the vehicle could last a while. By the time theres issue, we'll possibly have access to LS and Coyote swaps

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Drive it till it dies. Then remove all the BS electronics and make it a true off road vehicle. Like a custom vehicle only in a new Bronco body.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
On a Mustang you get about 4-5 years before the soft top is shot. Less if you don't have a garage to park it in.
Awesome, 3rd party hardtops might be shipping by then....

Alanp970

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4 Door Base Sasquatch Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
Start with changing all your driveline fluids ( Front differential, transfer case, and rear differential). Once you are over 25k, get the transmission fluid changed.. Changing motor oil between 4000-5000 miles is the best.. a drop in K&N air filter and PVC/ catch can will contribute to longevity.
Each of the above contributes to various benefits that work together.. 🤓
Watch the Project Farm YouTube channel where he tests air filters and see if you still want that K&N. I maintain a construction fleet and our trucks live in the dust. One guy put a K&N in his company ride and nearly got fired when the boss saw how bad it dusted a Cummins in a short period of time

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Watch the Project Farm YouTube channel where he tests air filters and see if you still want that K&N. I maintain a construction fleet and our trucks live in the dust. One guy put a K&N in his company ride and nearly got fired when the boss saw how bad it dusted a Cummins in a short period of time
Please explained “dusted a Cummins in a short time..” 🤓

Sponsored

Alanp970

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Allowed dust into the intake of the engine.
And by a short amount of time I mean 1-1/2 to 2 months. Our trucks average 3-5 thousand miles a month. We found it when he came in for an oil change at 7,500 miles.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

And by a short amount of time I mean 1-1/2 to 2 months. Our trucks average 3-5 thousand miles a month. We found it when he came in for an oil change at 7,500 miles.
Not to get too technical, but the Cummins application would be a K&N washable filter.. No the best choice for a dust air filter .. There is no oiled version for the big trucks. Too much maintenance burden.. As we talk about the oiled K&N filters I know dozens of people that live by the K&N air filters cause they will take the time to clean, dry and oil the element.. I have adopted have two filters.. A clean on on the shelf and one in the vehicle.. That way one can be pulled and “new” one is put in.. Then, the vehicle is in service, and we can clean, dry, and oil over a few days time.. Important that filter is rinsed thoroughly, and completely dried, before re-applying oil..,
Bronco owners who go out into the dust should check their air filters regularly anyway. I watched the Farm Projectutube video and I still trying to understand his different ways he tested.. Going to have to watch each test, and scribble some notes..

Alanp970

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
According to K&N’s website this filter is pre-oiled and ready to drop in. It was that classic maroon color of a properly oiled K&N. Are you saying the washable filters don’t get oiled? I think you’re mistaken. I’ve personally used these same filters since the late 1980’s and those washable filters got oiled. I stopped using them in the 90’s because all the fine dust I was seeing in the intake. That fine dust went away with a good paper filter. Then 25 years later I see that Project Farm video and my suspicions were proven….at least to me🤷🏻‍♂️

Alanp970

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes I know a lot of people swear by those filters. So did the guy who put it on his truck. He thought they were the best because they have a “million mile” warranty. He had no idea they filter so poorly. I bet most people think similarly. They flow a lot more air but they do it at the cost of filtration, by filtering less small particles. They only stop medium to large particles.
Sponsored