Sponsored

Is it fairly easy changing a soft top to hardtop every year?

Ferreira703

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 VW R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I decided to get the bronco with a soft top with a pre kit for a hard top, and I‘m planing of having the soft top during Spring, Summer and Fall and for the Winter remove the soft top and put on the hard top. Is this something that’s fairly easy to do every year change the top?
Sponsored

dominicenoa

Badlands
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I decided to get the bronco with a soft top with a pre kit for a hard top, and I‘m planing of having the soft top during Spring, Summer and Fall and for the Winter remove the soft top and put on the hard top. Is this something that’s fairly easy to do every year change the top?
You will likely need another person to lift the soft-top on and place the rear clamshell on, but yes it's very easy. I think for the soft top there's 8 bolts in the rear and a couple on top that need to be removed, then it lifts off. The rear clamshell for the hard top has 8 bolts in the rear and two on top.

OP
OP
Ferreira703

Ferreira703

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 VW R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You will likely need another person to lift the soft-top on and place the rear clamshell on, but yes it's very easy. I think for the soft top there's 8 bolts in the rear and a couple on top that need to be removed, then it lifts off. The rear clamshell for the hard top has 8 bolts in the rear and two on top.
Thank You for Your replay, I’m still going for a hard top but the soft top has been growing on me my main concern was winter snow and ice On top of the soft top.

Sponsored

Schnabby

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JeepJL4dr,Raptor6.2,JeepJK2dr,M4Conv,65Must,74CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a Jeep JL 2018 with Dual Tops and change out to soft top for most of summer and early fall. It takes about an hour to remove the hard top and install the soft top. The hard top needs a hoist or a strong friend to lift off. The soft top rails need to be installed on the roll cage with some vertical braces just aft of the rear doors. You then lift up the soft top and place its retainer lever assembly in mounting braces that are screwed into the aft section of the roll cage.

The key reminders here are: When using a drill to tightened the bolts for the rails ensure the clutch is on a low setting. You do not want to strip the threads. Also, for both the hard top and soft top storage when not in use, ensure the area is clean dry, free from as much dust as possible and keep it elevated to avoid bugs or rodent access. I would expect the Bronco dual top when it finally comes out to be similar.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm planning a similar seasonal swap. Winter - hardtop, Summer monsoons (rains often) - soft top so If I'm out at dinner and it looks like rain, I can just fold the top back to closed. You can't do that with a hard top sitting at home, if it starts to rain, you and your interior get wet. Dry nice part of winter - no top, leave everything at home. I don't want to be looking through the folded down soft top, when we can go 5 months without rain in Arizona.

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, GT350, 991, Rubicon, Viper, Nissan Z32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also have a Wrangler Rubicon with the duel top option. It’s about an hour job, less if you have help.

Wife helps out with the removal and knocks it down to closer to 30-45 min.

Not hard at all and is kinda fun to switch back and forth when you get tired of one or the other tops.

I will say that the first time you do it, it will take a lot longer. Maybe double if it’s similar to the wrangler.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did it with an old TJ one year. Never again. The hard top is such a pain I took off the next spring and never put it back on. The normal soft top was just fine in the winter and I never even considered going back to a convertible hard top again.
Sponsored