Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BMW M550i
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've noticed here and in the marketplace a strong general preference for hard tops over soft tops. Trying to figure out why - from my point of view, I'd rather have a soft top that I can take completely off, but yet still have all of the components to put it back on right in the back of the truck. Taking off the hard top seems like a major commitment and if you get caught in the rain, you're stuck. I don't have my Bronco yet so wondering for thos who want thard top - what am I missing? Is it a noise factor? Is it just plain looks? What else?
Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I first wanted dual top figuring winter here in Chicago. When the hard tops went to crap and held up production, I opted for the soft only. Sooooooooo happy! Lots of softtops winter here, lol, and the convenience of dropping it as you want? I see hard tops now and wonder, what is wrong with you?

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I personally like the soft top. Very convenient to put up and down depending on weather. When we got heavy snow I just made sure to knock it off every day. Never heard of any damage from snow but I didn’t like having more than a foot or two on it

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
My last soft top Mustang had a LOT of wind noise. Like painfully loud at 80 mph. That's the main reason I ordered a hard top.

Also, the soft top on the Bronco doesn't go down all the way. It's a supper weird design that even when folded back, sticks up like a giant wind brake.

Another issue is that, unlike the Mustang convertible which has glass, the bronco has soft, easily scratched vinyl windows.

Now, if you live in an area with a lot of rain, soft top is better. You don't have to worry about leaks between the panels. Some folks are also apparently nervous about soft tops in the snow, but I've never had an issue with a soft top in the snow. Although now that I think about it, the lack of a rear defrost could bother some folks.

Sponsored

Big Diamond

Wildtrak
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco HOSS 3.0 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I never considered a hardtop for the bronco and I will be the first to admit that I do not like the wavy rear windows on the soft top. The amount of times I would ride with the top open would be so much less if I had the hard top. I live in the south, love riding with the top down and we get lots of pop up storms. When that happens, I just put the top up and keep moving.

SumDumGuy

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape 2L, 2" lift, 235/60R17
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went for the hard top, we get a lot of snow and it gets to -40 here. plus the shear number of car shoppers around here(see dozens of reports a day were they are getting into cars via cutting tops, smashing windows or opening the doors)

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There are a number of benefits already stated for the hardtop, but I knew I wanted a soft top from day 1 due to the flexibility to put up/down at a moments notice. In my area, pop up storms are more common that blizzards, so this makes sense for me. They require care and no matter how careful I am with taking the rear windows off, I know it is just a matter of time before they are scuffed up sometimes to the point of being hard to see out of (same issue with the Wrangler, so nothing new for me).
But, I don't need a pulley system in my garage and I can go topless all by myself like a big boy.

Oday

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wanted The hard top in the beginning but opted for a soft top to get it faster living in a very snowy state it was really no big deal it is noisier and the windows do scratch very very easily but it is pretty fun to just take it up and down and it I really liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've noticed here and in the marketplace a strong general preference for hard tops over soft tops. Trying to figure out why - from my point of view, I'd rather have a soft top that I can take completely off, but yet still have all of the components to put it back on right in the back of the truck. Taking off the hard top seems like a major commitment and if you get caught in the rain, you're stuck. I don't have my Bronco yet so wondering for thos who want thard top - what am I missing? Is it a noise factor? Is it just plain looks? What else?
I dont think theres a strong preference either way. Either one needs to be what YOU want. There is no wrong top. I have soft top. I can take it down wherever I am and not have to store panels. If im caught in rain the top goes up in 20 seconds. Conversely it goes down in 20 seconds. If I had hard top I would never be taking those panels off every day like I do with my soft top. Noise is non issue unless you need it silent inside. Depends how you want to use it. Panels cant be done on your own unless you want to risk scratching or breaking something,and it can not be done in less then a minute.

Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks for me. Will buy a hard top at some point. The convenience of the softie is nice I’ll admit. But it takes extra effort to clean

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hard top is more secure. Soft top in any large city is a dare.
This is not true. Maybe in your mind but crime is opportunistic…. Open window,open door etc. Crooks normally are not going to slice your top apart. They can get in just as easily using a glass punch and not making any noise.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It may be worth noting that the Ford soft top looks like something from covered wagon days, so that's a huge reason some steer away from soft top. However, the Bestop Trektop looks so much better. Me being 2 door, I didn't have a choice but get hardtop, but I installed a Bestop a few months after delivery and don't think I'll use the Hardtop at all. If I had reasons to get a moar door, I'd order with hardtop and then get a Bestop Trektop softie. You're paying for a top regardless, may as well get the best looking and then go aftermarket. Ford softies get your Bronco potentially faster, so go with what matters the most to you.

62chad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is not true. Maybe in your mind but crime is opportunistic…. Open window,open door etc. Crooks normally are not going to slice your top apart. They can get in just as easily using a glass punch and not making any noise.
I live in a small town. Never even have my top up. Drove to inner city Fresno to stay at a hotel for the night. Homeless guy sliced my top within the first 5 minutes. Watched it happen from the 10th floor of the hotel. Didn't even check if the doors were open.
Sponsored