Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fellow bronco’ers! My son and I just got back from PA. We had a great (and easy experience) picking it up from Chapman Ford. We drove back his 4 Door OBX 2.3 hardtop 670 miles to Knoxville. Averaged 21.7 MPG.

Since I’ve had my 4 door BL 2.7 softtop since July, I’ve got a pretty good feel for the truck as well as the driving dynamics.

I was expecting a lot of hardtop noise; squeaks and rattles based on reading B6G posts. I was sorely disappointed…. Not a single rattle, squeak, or pop from his OBX. Ford must have listened and corrected the issues that others were (and maybe still are having). The OBX hardtop was quieter than my soft top (as it should be). In all fairness, my BL has 34” BFG M/Ts which create a fair amount of road noise, especially at interstate speeds. I do notice more noise from the 4 banger under acceleration. Much better than I expected. At least it doesn’t sound like my wife’s previous car (Volvo XC90 with supercharged 4 cylinder). I sold that car because it sounded like my John Deere diesel farm tractor on a cold morning. Not kidding.

In summary, I was very pleased and impressed with the 4 cylinder hardtop. His truck was blended on 10/25. I wanted the soft-top on my BL from the beginning so I don’t regret it. The hardtop is more of a security issue when he is away at college.

BTW, I was surprised by the torque and responsiveness of his 4 cylinder. Way better than I expected. I let him order the truck as he wished (he had to keep the sticker under $50k). Saved enough money at Chapman to upgrade his wheels, tires, pod lights. and bumper. (He is getting my Mod bumper and I’m getting an ARB).

8955BA85-C2AC-4971-95CD-FFDB7793D554 (1).jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
soonerbronco

soonerbronco

Badlands
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you have TWO Broncos in your garage?… 🤐😩😤🤬
Yup. Both reserved first day. Hard top was delayed about 5 times. The wait on the OBX worked out for us because my son’s truck had to be “earned” via college scholarship. He got his first offer a few weeks ago. Everything is screwed up and delayed this year because of NCAA COVID eligibility rules. He still can’t drive it daily until he commits to an offer commensurate with the cost of the truck. I’m trying to create a learning moment. If he doesn’t accept and commit….. the OBX will be sold and he will go back to his 24 y/o Toyota.

CJ1064

Badlands
First Name
Clifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup. Both reserved first day. Hard top was delayed about 5 times. The wait on the OBX worked out for us because my son’s truck had to be “earned” via college scholarship. He got his first offer a few weeks ago. Everything is screwed up and delayed this year because of NCAA COVID eligibility rules. He still can’t drive it daily until he commits to an offer commensurate with the cost of the truck. I’m trying to create a learning moment. If he doesn’t accept and commit….. the OBX will be sold and he will go back to his 24 y/o Toyota.
Love this

Sponsored

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are an AWESOME dad. I love that you are teaching him how to earn the things in life that he wants. I wish my parents had taken more of an interest in my future back then. It took me until I was in my thirties to get the work ethic that I thought I should have. Still not completely where I should be, evidenced by the fact that I am 6G right now... LOL!!

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My hardtop makes some popping noises, but only on cold days. If yours is similar, in TN you probably won't have an issue.

I can't imagine someone buying their child a 50k vehicle. Do you need another son?

OP
OP
soonerbronco

soonerbronco

Badlands
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Quick, I need a topic to justify showing off my two Broncos...
Wasn't trying to show off... I was trying to provide some insight (and hopefully a little comfort) to those still waiting on a hard top. The hard top (at least the one I have) is way better than I expected. I'm driving it today, in heavy rain, to check for leaks.... so far, so good... I didn't mean to piss anyone off....

As far as my son goes.... I told him 5 years ago when he started to show some talent and as a carrot to bust his ass on and off the field, "you get a scholarship to college and I'll get you a new truck." It worked. He focused, stayed out of trouble, and worked hard; way harder than a lot of his friends who were sleeping in when he was in the gym. It's a win-win, I save a ton of money on his education and he gets to play the sport he loves (and drive his dream truck).

Sponsored

SoCalDawg

Wildtrak
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX 460
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wasn't trying to show off... I was trying to provide some insight (and hopefully a little comfort) to those still waiting on a hard top. The hard top (at least the one I have) is way better than I expected. I'm driving it today, in heavy rain, to check for leaks.... so far, so good... I didn't mean to piss anyone off....

As far as my son goes.... I told him 5 years ago when he started to show some talent and as a carrot to bust his ass on and off the field, "you get a scholarship to college and I'll get you a new truck." It worked. He focused, stayed out of trouble, and worked hard; way harder than a lot of his friends who were sleeping in when he was in the gym. It's a win-win, I save a ton of money on his education and he gets to play the sport he loves (and drive his dream truck).
I think it’s awesome and we may follow this model. I like it.

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cool lesson for your son! “Get a scholarship or I’m selling the Bronco to pay for your school”.
I’m curious specifically which BFG 34’s you put on your BL and whether it’s stock non-SAS height.

esquirebdc

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fathering win!

The Memedalorian

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Chevys
Your Bronco Model
Base
Years ago, my old man bought me a brand new Ford when I was around your son's age. Back then, tho,entry level vehicles with a lot less options were more plentiful. He paid around $12K and I only got to choose the color.

Good for you guys!
Sponsored