Sponsored

Is the center console lid supposed to have a spring?

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2.3L MT A51, 1974 Ford Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never had a spring loaded center console that I can recall. My Bronco console lid stays up just fine and if I want to close it I use my hand.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TigerBronco

TigerBronco

First Edition
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150 F/X 4, 2019 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 BMY M923A2 M
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've never had a spring loaded center console that I can recall. My Bronco console lid stays up just fine and if I want to close it I use my hand.
Good for you.

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is mine the only center console lid that seems to have absolutely NO spring resistance to help keep it open? Mine pretty much slams back down unless I hold it open.

Anybody else have this?
Same

irishdore

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco Badlands, '20 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2012 Ford Explorer
2013 Ford Fusion
2020 Ford Expedition
Can't remember on all the Fords prior to these...

These three did/do not have springs and stay open only when vertical forming a 90 degree angle. Otherwise, you have to hold open.

I feel that this is not an issue. Behavior is normal to Fords I have owned over the last decade.

OP
OP
TigerBronco

TigerBronco

First Edition
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
2012 Ford Explorer
2013 Ford Fusion
2020 Ford Expedition
Can't remember on all the Fords prior to these...

These three did/do not have springs and stay open only when vertical forming a 90 degree angle. Otherwise, you have to hold open.

I feel that this is not an issue. Behavior is normal to Fords I have owned over the last decade.
Just hasn’t been my experience with my 2011 F-150.

I don’t mean to say a spring pops it up as soon as it unlatches. Just that, in my F-150, there is at least a little tension on the lid hinge so that it doesn’t just swing freely up and down with no resistance.

Not a life altering issue but just seems like one that could be done better.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TigerBronco

TigerBronco

First Edition
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Exactly. Now we have a thread (granted, I don’t think it was the intent of the OP) where people can accuse ford of “cheaping out” on something that I’ve literally never seen on a car.
You are correct, the intent was not to accuse Ford of anything. Just wondering if my experience on my Bronco, which I love, is common. My F-150 does it better. Just surprised my 10 year newer Bronco does not.

However, this thread, as have many, sure seems to bring out the Ford apologists. It is OK to think every aspect of a particular company’s vehicle is not perfect.

This from a guy who absolutely loves his Bronco!

irishdore

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco Badlands, '20 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not sure that mine or other responses are "apologist" (I've made an assumption, that perhaps I should not, that my response is in your "apologist" grouping).

There is no emotion in any response that I read (save the snarky responses you got) in this thread. Seems to be people just posting their observations like you did.

So, for me, it is a simple. "Have 3 Fords" (don't have my Bronco yet). "All 3 don't have a spring."

I'm not saying that's good or bad. In fact, I would enjoy if the things felt more resistant when opening, did a slow close (like toilet seats do in some designs... just as an example), and also maybe clicked into place at 90 degrees when fully open so it has a "hold" feature.

But, I'd most likely never pay extra for any of those things. They're just ideas that I think are neat.

Mad Martigan

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and 1 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My f150 and explorer have them. I would like one in my bronco but I still love my bronco.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You are correct, the intent was not to accuse Ford of anything. Just wondering if my experience on my Bronco, which I love, is common. My F-150 does it better. Just surprised my 10 year newer Bronco does not.

However, this thread, as have many, sure seems to bring out the Ford apologists. It is OK to think every aspect of a particular company’s vehicle is not perfect.

This from a guy who absolutely loves his Bronco!
Absolutely.
Sponsored