robsafari

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
First time treating a car before winter but in the northeast it gets pretty nasty. I understand it's not necessary but seemed like it would be be worth the peace of mind. Anyways it's caked on and looks pretty rough. Wondering if I should call and have him clean it up. I've had bad look thus far taking my bronco anywhere. Did a few things myself but I guess I'm gonna have to do it all from now on. Over spray on the plastics in the wheel wells and stuff is what's most noticable.
Ford Bronco Is this how undercoat should look? IMG_20221016_121835
Ford Bronco Is this how undercoat should look? IMG_20221016_121845
Ford Bronco Is this how undercoat should look? IMG_20221016_121839
Sponsored

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Youā€™re kidding right?!?. ā€œI understand it's not necessary but seemed like it would be be worth the peace of mindā€

Seriously. Undercoating in upstate NY is not only necessary, itā€™s a first mod for many. Check out Eric O, South Main Auto on YouTube and he covers what an undercoat should look like from the perspective of an upstate NY mechanic. My Silverado had an undercoat and holding up better than many Iā€™ve seen. Itā€™s a must do and no one sees it.

I plan to Fluid Film the Bronco right away

OP
OP
robsafari

robsafari

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Youā€™re kidding right?!?. ā€œI understand it's not necessary but seemed like it would be be worth the peace of mindā€

Seriously. Undercoating in upstate NY is not only necessary, itā€™s a first mod for many. Check out Eric O, South Main Auto on YouTube and he covers what an undercoat should look like from the perspective of an upstate NY mechanic. My Silverado had an undercoat and holding up better than many Iā€™ve seen. Itā€™s a must do and no one sees it.

I plan to Fluid Film the Bronco right away
People on this forum have gone back and forth on it wondering whether it is worth it considering it is a modern car and has some anti corrosion qualities. Stating it could be maintained by just rinsing the undercarriage regularly. Maybe those from Maine don't experience the same as us in upstate New York? Upon delivery of my bronco I already had a spot of rust so it was an important modification for me. Either way does it look like shit or am I overreacting?

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it's fine. It's underneath. If it was on body paint then you can ask the guy to clean it. It will probably be off by spring anyway. Looks like an oil coat. It's not permanent.

Unless im mistaken, you need to do that every fall. Recommended in snow belts.

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Itā€™s just heavy in those spots. It wonā€™t hurt a thing. Not sure what product was used if itā€™s a type that doesnā€™t setup you could try to smooth it out but Iā€™ll warn you your only gonna make uglier.

Sponsored

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People on this forum have gone back and forth on it wondering whether it is worth it considering it is a modern car and has some anti corrosion qualities. Stating it could be maintained by just rinsing the undercarriage regularly. Maybe those from Maine don't experience the same as us in upstate New York? Upon delivery of my bronco I already had a spot of rust so it was an important modification for me. Either way does it look like shit or am I overreacting?
It doesnā€™t look like shit, it looks like a standard wool wax or fluid film application. Itā€™s more important that they did inside all the places you canā€™t see then the ones you can. Your biggest concerns are inside the rockers, inside the door and inside any frame section especially anything boxed. Once those are done well, that coating will stay good for quite a while.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anyways it's caked on and looks pretty rough. Wondering if I should call and have him clean it up. I've had bad look thus far taking my bronco anywhere. Did a few things myself but I guess I'm gonna have to do it all from now on.
@robsafari Itā€™s not just you having bad luck with automotive service providers though I think your undercoating is probably what you ultimately will want with those heavy coverage areas located where metal is coming together with a joint/weld and being more susceptible to crud sneaking in. I think the only way you get good service and results from automotive service providers these days is if you have a personal relationship with them or they have a vested interest in your project. Everyone is about speed these days, not quality. I chose to pay a premium to have the delivering dealership install window tint and two tries later itā€™s still not great and they damaged the plastic dash during removal of the windshield tint. I got a replacement dash part out of them and decided that they were incapable of doing good work so Iā€™ve moved on.

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It doesnā€™t look like shit, it looks like a standard wool wax or fluid film application. Itā€™s more important that they did inside all the places you canā€™t see then the ones you can. Your biggest concerns are inside the rockers, inside the door and inside any frame section especially anything boxed. Once those are done well, that coating will stay good for quite a while.
My wool wax installer did a far better job of not spraying it everywhere like OPs bronco, but Id be more concerned about the lack of coverage. The rear frame rail doesnt even look like it got sprayed behind the tire. Heres how mine looks. I opted for clear because i figured it would look better. Kinda looks like snot but i think it looks better than the black.
Ford Bronco Is this how undercoat should look? 20221011_175145
Ford Bronco Is this how undercoat should look? 20221011_175203
Ford Bronco Is this how undercoat should look? 20221011_175340

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wool wax installer did a far better job of not spraying it everywhere like OPs bronco, but Id be more concerned about the lack of coverage. The rear frame rail doesnt even look like it got sprayed behind the tire. Heres how mine looks. I opted for clear because i figured it would look better. Kinda looks like snot but i think it looks better than the black.
You should have gone with black. Or they should have sprayed lighter.

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You should have gone with black. Or they should have sprayed lighter.
Nah the thicker the better. It will wear away over time and or become covered in dust. At the end of the day, it looks a lot better than rust either way.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nah the thicker the better. It will wear away over time and or become covered in dust. At the end of the day, it looks a lot better than rust either way.
Thinner would maybe look better. It truly looks awful, thankful not many people will notice.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
yup,I have commented before,its a mess and even worse to work under your vehicle. But some people like it. I will wash my undercarriage daily vs doing this again. But I dont live in a constantly salty ,snowy environment

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wait till the dirt sticks to it if you think it looks bad now. Surface rust is a non issue. You will still get that even with fluid film.
Sponsored