First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It would really be nice if Ford would put a really strong coating underneath the Bronco. On the frame and all other metal components......
You want to increase the price by adding a under coating on a off road vehicle. So the first time it goes off road and is dragged across the rocks the undercoating is compromised. Then everybody starts to bad mouth a crappy Ford undercoating because they still get rust.

No thanks to undercoating on my off road rock crawler. And bed liner products are super heavy and will also scrape off after the first large rock or waterfall.
Sponsored

Los

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disco3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The downside to applying an undercoating is that it can crack, allowing moisture to get in and under it. The coating holds the moisture in, and the corrosion spreads under the coating. This is more common with powdercoat. Paint can do the same, but the paint coating will flake off, limiting the spread UNDER the coating.
An alternative is to apply a seasonal coating such as Fluid Film, an organic oil-like protectant.

When I bought my '91 F-150 (new), I sprayed the underside with black enamel. For the most part, it likely helped. But in some areas the paint held the moisture in and allowed rust to spread under the paint film. On the flip side, an unpainted surface will develop light surface rust which can actually be a protective layer.
On the '01 Jeep I bought in 2011, I sprayed bedliner on the underside and have applied Fluid Film every fall for the past few years. I'd say this is a good combo..... a good coating on the metal plus another protectant to penetrate and shed moisture.

There are lots of products out there, the best depends on your maintenance schedule, climate, and driving conditions.
It also depends where you live, love the west coast. So Cal

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It would really be nice if Ford would put a really strong coating underneath the Bronco. On the frame and all other metal components.

I see so many jeeps rusted to hell underneath. I hate rust. Hopefully Ford can prevent that from happening with the Bronco.

I feel like Ford is making the Bronco better then the Jeep so they should want to excel in this area as well.
Move to a warm, dry (desert south west ) climate. Problem Solved

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What is this rust you all speak of?

Sitting at my pool on my IPad in the Phoenix suburbs… 🤣

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fairly certain there are already more than a few discussions on this. And I believe we've already had knowledgeable people explain that something about the steel used in the frame means that rust isn't really something to be concerned about. You might get some surface corrosion, but that's it.
Sponsored