Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bumping this to the top so everyone can see how long Gary's hitch is
This is a proud moment for you Gary, chin up, don't let your hitch drag in the dirt!
I would suggest calling it the loan shark, since it'll likely take out a lot of kneecaps in the future.

🤔 ....at least your spare will be well protected?
Sponsored

Cleveland-Native

Badlands
First Name
Fry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Ranger, 2009 VW Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One time that I don’t mind being called “shorty”

33ABC760-4BCB-427C-B529-926516B696BE.jpeg
Is that the whole thing? I have never installed a receiver and had to drop the tow package back when it was a constraint so I'll have to go aftermarket. If that's the whole thing then this may be a bit easier than I was anticipating.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi,

Just got my Ford Bronco Wildtrak and picked it up yesterday after they added some things. One of those things was a hitch from Curt. I was expecting a hitch that was closer to the bumper and not protruding out as much, but this one sticks out a fair bit. Not sure it's a bad thing or not. On the one hand, it may be better for connecting a hitch. If it was closer in line with the bumper the tire might be in the way. On the other hand, would the excess protrusion interfere with steep inclines... Thinking steep residential driveways or hills/drops at gas stations.

Looking for thoughts on whether this is normal or do I need to go back to the dealer?

20230211_104741.jpg

20230211_104729.jpg
With a big ole spare this is good.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not sure if anyone else thought about this…?

After the back is open that will target that sensitive part just below the knee. Be prepared to have a permanent bruise there. Ouch!

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had that longer receiver since I first put it on the Bronco last February, It did drag in the dirt at Uwharrie once, when I did this on the Poser Rock last May;

Ford Bronco Is this normal? Hitch sticks out 1676158229139

And it is just enough to keep you from dragging the spare (37") into the ground.

All I tow with it is an 8x6 utility trailer to the Dump, and this puts the ball out just perfect to where I can put the trailer on without worrying about the spare, But I do have to be mindful of the drop leg handle, it'll poke into the tire if I back up to sharp.

As long as I don't have a ball in the receiver, I've never hit it with my legs, but I can see where someone would if they weren't paying attention.

I would say for my all around use, the longer receiver tube is the better choice, but I do have to be aware of it when going up a steep face like above.

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last edited:

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not sure if anyone else thought about this…?

After the back is open that will target that sensitive part just below the knee. Be prepared to have a permanent bruise there. Ouch!
It only takes one time to remember…….

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Is that the whole thing? I have never installed a receiver and had to drop the tow package back when it was a constraint so I'll have to go aftermarket. If that's the whole thing then this may be a bit easier than I was anticipating.
Yup, the whole thing. Switch the bolts out from 1/2-13 x 4.5 to 1/2-13x4.0 grade 8 and you won’t even need to remove the bumper. 15 minute job. Curt makes a plug and play wiring kit but you’ll need to run a line up to the battery. Still easy peasy but 4 pin only that way. Adding 7 pin isn’t to bad either.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

It only takes one time to remember…….
I’d beg to differ! I’ve whacked my shin many times after leaving the hitch in the receiver. But then my memory ain’t what it used to be!

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yup, the whole thing. Switch the bolts out from 1/2-13 x 4.5 to 1/2-13x4.0 grade 8 and you won’t even need to remove the bumper. 15 minute job. Curt makes a plug and play wiring kit but you’ll need to run a line up to the battery. Still easy peasy but 4 pin only that way. Adding 7 pin isn’t to bad either.
I think Curt may have already switched the bolt length. Mine slid right in, without removing the bumper.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I think Curt may have already switched the bolt length. Mine slid right in, without removing the bumper.
Just my luck! My receiver is short but my bolts are long! :cool:

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, some of the aftermarket hitch installs I’ve seen show the bumper being removed For installation. Are there different rear OEM bumper types that could affect this?

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, some of the aftermarket hitch installs I’ve seen show the bumper being removed For installation. Are there different rear OEM bumper types that could affect this?
Mines the plastic one, that's all I know. But being that they slide through from the middle section of the Bronco, with the nuts on the bumper side. I don't see it being any different.

JL8jeff

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2door base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the oem Ford hitch has the nuts welded to the front side so you have to install the bolts from the back requiring the bumper to be removed. The aftermarket hitches don't have the welded nuts so you can install the bolts from the front and put the nuts on the back side and not remove the bumper.
Sponsored

Reactions: 0ne