Sponsored

Issues transporting your good puppy dog?

jbf19

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Chevrolet Blazer and 2015 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last week I went on my annual hunting trip with buddies in south Texas. During the long drive from DFW to south Texas in my Tundra I was thinking about making the trip next year in my Bronco. We go on a "cast and blast" every year in south Texas where we fish in the bay in the mornings and dove hunt in the evenings. I bring my hunting dog with us in a Gunner Kennel in the bed of my truck. In my opinion, it is by far the safest way to transport a dog. However, I'm not sure the Bronco is going to be a very good vehicle for transporting my dog (which is a huge problem for me since I plan on using it for hunting).

First, since the Bronco obviously has less room than a truck for luggage, guns, etc. I had planned to fold down the back seats and put the Gunner kennel in the back. I also planned to buy a trailer hitch luggage basket to carry luggage and coolers (I'm almost 50 years old and loading and unloading that stuff on a roof rack isn't very appealing). However, once the trailer hitch basket is loaded I don't think you'll be able to open the swing gate which is a problem if you want to let your dog out for a restroom break or for some water on a long drive. Essentially, the dog will be stuck in the kennel unless you want to unload the luggage carrier. Second, once the back seats are folded down won't the rear AC be blocked since the vents are underneath the front seats? Doesn't seem very comfortable for the dog on a long ride. I also know that the back won't be completely flat when the back seats are folded down but I'm assuming the aftermarket will come up with some sort of storage product that levels the back area. Anyway, I'm kind of disappointed with the limitations of travelling with my hunting buddy. Pic for effect (lol).
Ford Bronco Issues transporting your good puppy dog? camo34

camo33.jpg
Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ksm

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

have you considered getting a wire crate that has a side opening in addition to the front? You could let your dog out that way. And by it being a wire crate, it will have less air flow issues so your AC concerns should be alleviated.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice. That’s awesome!
Yeah, I almost bought it to use with my existing bike rack but went with a new swing away bike rack instead. Just keep an eye on the weight if you plan to stack a lot of stuff on the carrier.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jbf19

jbf19

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

have you considered getting a wire crate that has a side opening in addition to the front? You could let your dog out that way. And by it being a wire crate, it will have less air flow issues so your AC concerns should be alleviated.
Not really. The gunner kennel is so much safer for the dog if you’re in a wreck. They have some impressive videos on their website.

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Could you use a doggy seat belt and then transport the gunner kennel another way for use when at camp?
Ford Bronco Issues transporting your good puppy dog? pet-seat-belt-1

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I never transport dogs outside the cab of the vehicle. Net behind the front seats, harness on the dog, retention lead fastened to a secure point on the vehicle.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Bronco does not replace a truck. It does things the truck cannot do, but there's a lot of things a truck does better. For things like you've described, I will still use my truck. I can't imagine not having a truck and using it for all the truck stuff, as well as having a Bronco and using it for all the smaller SUV stuff the Bronco will do. Sometimes you'll just have to leave the Bronco at home.

My dog is about the only passenger I plan to have on a regular basis in my Bronco and I will take the rear seats completely out to give more room and more options for transportation. Most of my trips with her are local and she will ride up front, but longer trips will probably be in a kennel in the back. I'll just have to see how much room and what I can do.

Phil_68w10

Big Bend
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I use a 500 series vari kennel in my F150 back seat. I’m eyeing either a Gunnar or Impact crate for my shepherd. Possibly finding a welder to make a custom box for my dog. I don’t do a lot of hunting but I do shoot a lot and I figure I can find some creative ways to store my gear.

Sponsored

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That was a big reason I went 4 dr Wrangler - there is space for dog(s) or gear but not really both in a 2 dr. I keep my two latched on the back seat (and Wrangler has rear A/C vents) so they stay relatively comfy. But as others in this thread have said, compared to a full size truck it isn't exactly riding in luxury for them (or for you).

IMG-2312.jpg

IMG-3169.jpg

OP
OP
jbf19

jbf19

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Could you use a doggy seat belt and then transport the gunner kennel another way for use when at camp?
Ford Bronco Issues transporting your good puppy dog? IMG-3169
I could but I really don't think that is near as safe as a good kennel. Plus, some of our trips are 10+ hours. She's going to want to lie down at some point.

OP
OP
jbf19

jbf19

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco does not replace a truck. It does things the truck cannot do, but there's a lot of things a truck does better. For things like you've described, I will still use my truck. I can't imagine not having a truck and using it for all the truck stuff, as well as having a Bronco and using it for all the smaller SUV stuff the Bronco will do. Sometimes you'll just have to leave the Bronco at home.

My dog is about the only passenger I plan to have on a regular basis in my Bronco and I will take the rear seats completely out to give more room and more options for transportation. Most of my trips with her are local and she will ride up front, but longer trips will probably be in a kennel in the back. I'll just have to see how much room and what I can do.
I hear ya. I struggle with getting rid of my truck for the Bronco versus just keeping both. Problem is I also have an old Blazer that I love. I have a hard time justifying having 3 cars for myself.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I hear ya. I struggle with getting rid of my truck for the Bronco versus just keeping both. Problem is I also have an old Blazer that I love. I have a hard time justifying having 3 cars for myself.
Get a bigger yard.

Seriously though, I get it. Looks like I have a used car lot at my house. It’s hard to get rid of good vehicles that are paid for that wouldn’t sell for what you’d spend to replace them.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I could but I really don't think that is near as safe as a good kennel. Plus, some of our trips are 10+ hours. She's going to want to lie down at some point.
Those harnesses attach to the seatbelt. There's no reason why your dog couldn't lay down
Sponsored